Healthy Freezer Meals and Snacks
During the 3rd trimester of my pregnancy I was all about stocking up our freezer to make sure we had plenty of healthy options once we got home from the hospital. When I posted a few clips of what I was prepping on Instagram stories many of you requested that I share what meals I froze so here we are!
The freezer in our kitchen is relatively small so I ended up buying this stand alone option for extra space. Looking back I wish I would have bought a bigger one because I ran out of room pretty fast. I used a mixture of these glass containers and silicone bags in attempts to avoid single use plastic. While I found that the glass containers worked great, the silicone bags didn’t provide a strong enough seal to prevent the food from absorbing the smell of our freezer. Given, the freezer I bought had a very strong chemical smell because it was brand new so you might not have the same problem as me. Just giving you my honest opinion based on my experience.
Below you’ll find a list of nearly all of the freezer-friendly recipes on my site, including our personal favorites which I’ve put an asterisk next to for reference. There’s everything from filling breakfast options, nourishing soups and stews, tasty mains dishes, convenient snacks and decadent desserts. I’ve also included tips for options on how to freeze everything. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!
Freezer Tip: Muffins are hands down my favorite snack to have on hand. They’re packed full of nutrition, store for almost 2 weeks in the refrigerator and can be eaten with one hand which is super important for new mamas. To freeze, allow them to cool completely before transferring to an airtight container or freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Pancakes and waffles can be frozen the same way as muffins. Allow to cool completely on a cooling rack to release excess moisture in order to prevent freezer burn and a soggy texture once defrosted.
Baked oatmeal can be removed from the dish (after baking and cooling completely) and frozen in one piece or cut into individual servings before freezing. Breakfast cookies should also be frozen after baking and cooling completely.
Granola can be frozen in an airtight container with as little empty space as possible. Freeze it for no longer than three months for best quality, and let it sit out on the counter overnight before using.
- Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins (GF)
- Flourless Peanut Butter Banana Muffins (GF)*
- Healthy Green Monster Muffins (GF)*
- Healthy Flourless Morning Glory Muffins (GF)
- Healthy Flourless Pumpkin Muffins (GF)*
- Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins (GF)*
- Healthy Apple Almond Butter Muffins (GF)
- Healthy Flourless Zucchini Muffins (GF)
- Flourless Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins (GF)
- Healthy Flourless Gingerbread Muffins (GF)
- Honey Cornbread Muffins (GF)*
- Cranberry Orange Muffins (gluten-free)
- Blueberry Lemon Muffins (vegan, GF + oil-free option)
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins (vegan, GF + oil-free option)
- Lemon Zucchini Muffins (vegan, GF + oil-free option)
- Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins (vegan, GF + oil-free option)
Pancakes and Waffles
- Carrot Cake Waffles (vegan + GF)
- Vegan Banana Nut Blender Pancakes (vegan + GF)
- Buckwheat Gingerbread Waffles (GF + vegan option)*
- Whole Grain Pumpkin Spice Waffles (GF + vegan option)*
- Flourless Vegan Banana Bread Waffles (vegan + GF)
Baked Oatmeal, Cookies and Granola
- Healthy Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal (GF + vegan option)
- Morning Glory Breakfast Cookies (vegan + GF)
- Dark Chocolate, Almond and Coconut Granola (GF + vegan option)*
- Chunky Grain-free Granola (vegan + GF)*
- Pumpkin Spice Granola (vegan + GF)
- Peanut Butter Banana and Chocolate Chip Granola (vegan, GF + oil-free)
- Honey Almond Chia Granola (gluten-free)
- Chunky Blueberry Banana Granola (vegan, GF + oil-free)
- Cranberry Orange Pecan Granola (vegan + GF)
- Chickpea Hemp Seed Sausages (vegan + GF)
- Mini Vegan Quinoa Frittatas (vegan + GF)
- Chickpea Frittata (vegan + GF)
Soups and Stews
Freezer Tip: All of the recipes below can be prepared as directed but be sure to allow them to cool completely before sealing and freezing. If you’re using glass containers be sure to leave some space at the top for expansion to occur. When you’re ready to eat them simply defrost at room temperature, reheat on the stove, top with desired garnishes and serve.
- Easy Vegetable Minestrone Soup (vegan + GF option)*
- Turnip Leek Soup (vegan + GF)
- Easy Split Pea Soup (vegan + GF)
- Healing Moroccan Lentil Soup (vegan + GF)*
- Quinoa Chickpea Spinach Soup (vegan + GF)
- Detoxifying Kale Soup (vegan + GF)*
- Cauliflower Potato and Leek Soup (vegan + GF)*
- The Best Lentil Soup (vegan + GF)*
- Tuscan White Bean Soup (vegan + GF)
- Lemony Lentils and Greens Soup (vegan + GF)*
- Roasted Acorn Squash and Apple Soup (vegan + GF)*
- Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup (vegan + GF)*
Stews, Curries and Chili
- One-Pot Coconut Mung Bean Stew (vegan + GF)
- One-Pot Golden Lentil Curry (vegan + GF)*
- Best-Ever Quinoa Chili (vegan + GF)
- The Best Vegan Chili (vegan + GF)*
- One-Pot Red Lentil Sweet Potato Stew (vegan + GF)*
- One-Pot Vegan Pumpkin Chili (vegan + GF)
- Quick and Easy Chana Masala (vegan + GF)*
- One-Pot African Peanut Stew (vegan + GF)
Veggie Burgers and Main Dishes
Freezer Tip: I’ve found that I have the best results when freezing burgers, patties and meatless ‘meatballs’ prior to cooking but either way will work so long as you allow them to cool completely. For the uncooked method I recommend layering parchment paper or tinfoil between the patties to keep them from freezing together. The balls can be pre-frozen on a baking sheet in the freezer then transferred to a container or bag and frozen. Again, this helps prevent them from sticking together once frozen.
For the enchiladas you can prepare them up until the baking step then cover and freeze. I personally like to add the sauce and cheese after I’ve defrosted them and then bake but you can freeze them with the sauce if you prefer.
Burgeres and Patties
- Easy Black Bean Burgers (vegan + GF option)*
- Classic Lentil Burgers (vegan + GF option)*
- Butternut Squash Falafel (vegan + GF)
- Beet Patties with Vegan Tzatziki (vegan + GF)*
- Vegan Crab Cakes (vegan + GF option)
- Italian ‘Meatloaf’ Cups (vegan + GF)
- Mini Vegan Quinoa Frittatas (vegan + GF)
- Vegan Zucchini ‘Meatballs’ (vegan + GF)
- Vegan Lentil ‘Meatballs’ (vegan + GF option)*
- Mediterranean Chickpea ‘Meatballs’ (vegan + GF)
- Thai Red Curry Chickpea ‘Meatballs’ (vegan + GF)
- Mushroom Lentil Loaf (vegan + GF option)*
- Swiss Chard Mushroom Enchiladas (vegan + GF option)
- Sweet Potato Black Bean and Spinach Enchiladas (vegetarian with vegan + GF option)
- Vegan Lentil Shepherd’s Pie (vegan + GF)
Freezer Tip: To freeze granola bars, prepare as directed and slice into individual servings. Arrange inside of a glass container with parchment paper in between layers to prevent sticking.
No special prep is needed for the energy bites as they are no-bake. I like to arrange them in a rectangular glass container but a bag will also work fine.
Banana bread and cakes can frozen as an entire loaf or as individual slices. Make sure to wrap with parchment paper or plastic wrap then place in a freezer bag or sealed container.
- No-Bake Lactation Granola Bars (GF + vegan option)*
- Chewy Honey Lemon Granola Bars (GF + vegan option)
- Puffed Amaranth Granola Bars (GF + vegan option)
- 5-Ingredient No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars (GF, vegan option + oil-free)
- No-Bake Blueberry Muffin Energy Bites (vegan + GF)
- Dark Chocolate Pistachio Bliss Bites (vegan + GF)
- Turmeric Carrot Cake Energy Bites (vegan + GF)
- Healthy No-Bake Brownie Bites (vegan + GF)
- Healthy No-Bake Strawberry Lemon Cake Bites (vegan + GF)
- Almond Flour Cardamom Cake (GF)
- Healthy Pumpkin Bread (GF)
- Vegan Almond Butter Banana Bread (vegan)
- The Best Vegan Pumpkin Bread (vegan)
- Healthy Vegan Gingerbread Loaf (vegan)
Freezer Tip: Cookies are my favorite to thing to freeze for dessert. I usually roll the dough into balls then place them on a cookie sheet in the freezer for about 20 mins before transferring them to a freezer bag or sealed container. Pre-freezing them helps prevent them from sticking together. Once frozen they last for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to bake you can thaw the balls to room temperature or microwave them for 10-15 seconds prior to baking. If they are too cold they won’t spread as well so just keep that in mind. Alternatively you can bake them, let them cool completely and then freeze.
To freeze brownies, allow them to cool completely, but do not cut into individual servings. Wrap tightly in parchment paper or foil then place in a freezer bag. You can freeze them for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to serve, thaw at room temperature for 3-4 hours before cutting into individual servings.
Candy bars, etc. can be frozen in a sealed container. No special prep needed since they are no-bake and are set via freezing.
- The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies (vegan + GF)*
- Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies (vegan + GF)*
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cookies (GF + vegan option)
- Dreamy Vegan Snickerdoodles (vegan + GF)
- 1-Bowl Oatmeal Zucchini Cookies (GF + vegan option)*
- Vegan Gluten-free Double Chocolate Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Brownies (GF + vegan option)*
- Flourless Vegan Tahini Brownies (vegan + GF)
- Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Candy Bars (vegan + GF)
- Dark Chocolate Almond Coconut Bites (GF + vegan option)
- 5-Ingredient Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles (vegan + GF)