Cauliflower Potato and Leek Soup
Cauliflower Potato and Leek Soup- all you need is 8 ingredients to make this comforting soup. So rich and creamy, no one would ever guess it’s dairy-free!
Yesterday was my grandmother’s 80th birthday. You would never be able to tell that just by looking at her though. She’s as fiery and beautiful as she was twenty years ago.
Thinking back that far makes me realize that I can’t even begin to imagine what life would be like without her. She’s always been a constant source of inspiration and unconditional support. Plus I have her to thank for many of what I like to think are my best personality traits. :)
The 2700 miles between us have made it difficult to spend a lot time together over the last couple of years but we’re pretty good at keeping in touch through email. She regularly sends me different recipes from the newspaper or random sources that she finds to help keep my creative juices flowing for the blog.
Recently she sent me one for cauliflower soup that had fennel, celery root, chicken broth, heavy cream and a list of other ingredients that I don’t normally cook with, but it inspired to me make my own version using fresh leeks and potatoes for a heartier flavor.
If you’re not familiar with leeks, I highly recommend giving them a try. My father-in-law, aka the produce connoisseur, describes them as a milder version of a scallion and I would agree with that. They give this soup a delicious flavor plus they’re high in vitamin C, folate, and potassium. Perfect for warding off those winter germs!
They can be a little dirty to work with but if you slice them in half and run them under water then it usually does the trick.
The beauty of this soup is the pureed cauliflower which gives it a rich and creamy texture without the use of any dairy. The result is incredibly smooth and comforting. I topped it with pumpernickel croutons and cheese to add some color but that’s not necessary if you don’t have them on hand. However you should really try it with fresh chives.
It gives it that extra little pop of flavor that takes it over the top!
Cauliflower Potato and Leek Soup
- 2 tablespoons oil or vegan butter
- 2 large leeks (white and light green parts only), halved and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups chopped cauliflower florets, roughly one 2lb head of cauliflower
- 4 cups yukon gold or russet potato, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups vegetable broth, my favorite is Better Than Bouillon
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- chopped fresh chives, cheese and/or croutons for serving
- In a large pot, warm oil or butter over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Next add the garlic and potato. Stir and continue to cook for another 3 minutes, until garlic is fragrant. Add the cauliflower, pour in the broth, and bring to a low boil. Cook until cauliflower and potato are soft, about 20 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the mixture into a blender along with the thyme (or blend it in the pot using an immersion blender). Blend on high until smooth and creamy. Taste test and add salt and pepper, as desired to taste. Pour back into the pot and warm over medium low heat, until heated through. Serve warm garnished with chives, shredded cheese, and/or croutons, and enjoy!
Disclosure: Making Thyme for Health is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program which is an affiliate advertising program. This means that if you click an Amazon link and make a purchase, we receive a small commission, at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting this site and allowing me to bring you quality content!