Simple Asparagus Soup
Simple Asparagus Soup- all you need is 8 ingredients and 30 minutes to whip up this delicious seasonal soup. Can be served warm or chilled depending on your preferences!
Asparagus season has arrived! If you’re looking for creative ways to eat this delicious vegetable then you MUST try this soup.
I say creative because it isn’t just asparagus as a side item but really it couldn’t be more simple. It was inspired by a well-known French restaurant in Berkeley named Lalime’s. Sadly they have since closed their doors for business but the asparagus soup will forever live on in my heart.
The beauty of this soup is that it starts with a mirepoix base (onion, celery and carrot) and only requires garlic, broth, fresh asparagus and a hint of lemon juice to finish it off. The simplicity of the ingredients truly allows the flavor of the asparagus to shine through.
How to Make Asparagus Soup
Not only are the ingredients simple, but this soup is ridiculously easy to make:
- Sauté the mirepoix in olive oil. Add garlic and asparagus. Stir to combine.
- Pour in vegetable broth, cover and cook until tender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy!
- The best part about this soup is that it is delicious both warm or chilled. So whether you’re having cool and rainy or warm spring days, it can be made to suit the weather.
- When we ate this soup at Lalime’s they served it with a creme fraiche topping. Because we no longer eat dairy, I like to top it with plain unsweetened almond milk yogurt (Kite Hill is my absolute favorite). Also a drizzle of high quality extra virgin olive oil and fresh cracked pepper really takes it over the top.
- Lastly, you’ll notice that I garnished the soup with a few asparagus tips for aesthetic purposes. This step is optional but you simply boil the tips in a bit of water for 5 minutes then rinse with ice cold water.
Looking for more spring recipes?
- Spring Farro Bowls with Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Spring Sandwiches with Sunflower Cream Cheese
- Spring Potato Salad
- Strawberry Oatmeal Crisp
- Healthy No-Bake Strawberry Lemon Cake Bites
- Blueberry Lemon Yogurt Bread
- Snap Pea Radish Slaw
Simple Asparagus Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for finishing
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion, about 1 small onion
- 1 cup chopped celery, about 3-4 celery ribs
- ½ cup chopped carrot, about 1 large carrot
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, 2-3 cloves
- 2 lbs fresh asparagus*, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- plain unsweetened yogurt , for topping
- salt & pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot then cook for 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Next add the garlic and asparagus (you can reserve a few tips if you like for a garnish). Stir together then pour in the broth. Bring to a simmer then cover and allow to cook for about 10 minutes, or until the asparagus is fork tender.
- Meanwhile you can cook the reserved asparagus tips in a small pot with a bit of boiling water for about 3 minutes. Rinse with very cold water then set aside.
- Once the vegetables in the pot are tender, you can either transfer everything to a blender or use an immersion blender in the pot to puree. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add lemon juice, salt & pepper to taste. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, a dollop of plain yogurt and a few of the blanched asparagus tips on top. Alternatively, you can chill the soup for several hours and serve cool. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.