Strawberry Oatmeal Crisp
Strawberry Crisp- simple to make and bursting with flavor, this crisp is perfect to serve for spring and summer gatherings. (gluten-free)
Strawberries are back in season! Can I get a hallelujah?
I know you can find them at the grocery store all year long but they can’t compare to locally grown, fresh spring strawberries. As soon as I saw them at the farmers market, my mind instantly went to a strawberry crisp. It’s such a simple way to enjoy seasonal fruit and perfect to serve for gatherings like Easter or Mother’s Day.
Strawberry Crisp Ingredients
- Fresh Strawberries are a must for this recipe. I don’t recommend using frozen. The sweeter the berries, the better!
- Arrowroot or Cornstarch thickens the juices of the berries that release as they cook.
- Honey, Pure Maple Syrup or Agave are ideal for a hint of natural sweetness. I personally prefer raw honey because I feel like it tastes the best with fresh berries.
- Lemon Juice and Zest provide a subtle tart flavor that balances out the sweetness of the honey. It really adds the extra oomph that takes the crisp from good to wow.
- Rolled Oats are the base of the topping, giving it a nice chewy texture. We blend just a 1/4 cup of the oats into a flour for binding purposes.
- Almond Flour is another key ingredient to help bind the topping. It creates delicious little chunks and makes it taste like shortbread.
- Melted Coconut Oil provides moistures and keeps the topping form burning as it bakes.
- Chopped Pecans are added for flavor and texture. Feel free to substitute your favorite chopped nuts, such as walnuts, almonds, or maybe pistachios if you’re feeling lucky.
- Unsweetened Shredded Coconut also adds a little interest to the topping with a mix of flavor and texture. But you can leave it out if you like.
How to Make Strawberry Crisp
What I love about crisps is that they are so simple to make!
- Slice the berries, add them to a baking dish with the honey, lemon juice and arrowroot then stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, oat and almond flour, chopped pecans, coconut, lemon zest, and salt.
- Pour in the melted coconut oil, honey, and vanilla extract then stir to combine.
- Spread the topping over the berries then bake for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla bean ice cream and enjoy!
If you’re looking for something that’s easy to make but will impress guests, this crisp is sure to do the trick! I hope you enjoy it as much we do.
Also, if you like blueberries and peaches, be sure to try this Blueberry Peach Crisp too!
For the Filling
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons honey, or maple syrup/agave
- fresh lemon juice, from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot
- Preheat the oven to 350°F then grease a 9 x 9” baking dish and set aside.
- Combine the strawberries in a large bowl and sprinkle with cornstarch or arrowroot. Pour in the honey and lemon juice, then toss until evenly coated. Spread along the bottom of the baking dish and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the topping and stir together. You should be able to press it together with your fingers. Spread the mixture on top of the filling, covering it on all sides.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the fruit begins to bubble and the topping is light golden brown. Allow to cool for 15 minutes then serve with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!