Warm Hemp Chia Seed Pudding
Warm Hemp Chia Seed Pudding- all you need is 5 ingredients to make this satisfying grain-free breakfast that’s packed full of healthy omega 3s!
A few months before I fell pregnant I made some fairly drastic diet changes that I thought might help balance my hormones. I focused on eating plenty of healthy fats, cut out all gluten, most grains and sugar (except for berries and avocado pudding), soy, peanuts, and peas. As someone who eats a plant-based diet, that’s really freaking hard to do!
I realize that self inflicting all of those restrictions makes me sound a little crazy but I’m one of those people who prefers to try everything as far as diet and lifestyle changes before I resort to pharmaceuticals. Unless it’s a life threatening illness, of course. I promise I’m not totally off my rocker.
The diet changes made it almost impossible to eat out in Athens but (not) surprisingly there were plenty of choices when we took a trip to Los Angeles. Not only was I able to find things that suit my exhausting list of can’t haves, but I actually found options that I really enjoyed. One of those was a warm chia hemp bowl from a restaurant called Amara Kitchen. It was such a simple combination but I found it to be satisfying and delicious so naturally I had to recreate for you guys.
Warm Chia Hemp Seed Pudding Ingredients
Non-Dairy Milk- You can use any kind of plant milk to make this pudding but my favorite is coconut milk for a rich and creamy texture.
Chia Seeds- Packed full of nutrients, the chia seeds provide a hefty dose of fiber, protein, calcium and magnesium. They’re also a great source of plant-based omega 3s which can help reduce inflammation in the body.
Hemp Hearts- Hulled hemp hearts are another great plant-based source of healthy fats, protein, calcium and iron. They also happen to have a very mild, nutty flavor that easily pairs with whatever toppings you like.
Vanilla Extract- This gives the pudding a hint of vanilla without adding any sugar.
Pure Maple Syrup- You can forgo the syrup if you want to reduce the sugar but just a few teaspoons is enough to make it feel like a semi sweet breakfast bowl.
How to Make Warm Chia Hemp Seed Pudding
- Bring the milk to a low boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir in the chia and hemp seeds with the vanilla.
- Allow to cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to thicken for a few more minutes.
- Stir in maple syrup to taste, finish with desired toppings and enjoy!
Overall it makes for a super quick and easy breakfast that’s friendly for almost any kind of diet. Serving it warm is also ideal for this time of year and is a great alternative to oatmeal.
Warm Chia Hemp Seed Pudding
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons pure maple syrup, to taste
- In a saucepan, bring the milk to a low boil. Add the chia seeds and hemp seeds then stir to combine. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, or until it starts to thicken. Continue to stir as it cooks.
- Turn off heat and all to sit for a few minutes to cool and thicken a little more. Taste test and add maple syrup as desired. Serve warm with desired toppings and enjoy!