The Best Vegan Pumpkin Pie (easy + gluten-free option)
The Best Vegan Pumpkin Pie- all you need is 9 ingredients and 10 minutes to prep this incredible pumpkin pie. Whether you’re serving it for vegans or omnivores, everyone is sure to love it!
Who’s ready to eat all the Thanksgiving foods? You can’t see it but my hand is raised high. Especially for this vegan pumpkin pie. It’s easily the best part of Thanksgiving.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It requires just 9 simple pantry ingredients.
- You only need 10 minutes and a blender to prepare it.
- It has the perfect creamy texture. (No one will ever guess it’s vegan!)
- You can adjust the amount of spice to your liking.
- It is easy gluten-free when prepared with a GF crust.
The Best Vegan Pumpkin Pie Ingredients
- Pumpkin Puree- As you can see in the picture above, my go-to puree is Farmers Market brand because I like that it’s organic and in BPA-free packaging. That said, it does tend to be a little thinner compared to Libbys. You may want to add a few more tablespoons of milk if that’s the brand you’re using.
- Coconut Sugar- I like to use coconut sugar for it’s caramel like flavor but you can substitute brown sugar. Just keep in mind that brown sugar tends to be a little sweeter than coconut sugar so you may want to reduce it to 1/3 cup. You can also substitute half of the coconut sugar (1/4 cup) with pure maple syrup if you prefer.
- Coconut Milk- Full fat coconut milk works best for this recipe because of it’s rich and creamy texture, and because it helps the pie firm up the best once it’s cooled. You want to make sure that the coconut cream is evenly distributed in the milk before adding it to the recipe. This can usually be accomplished by giving the can a good shake prior to opening. If it still isn’t well combined, try warming the milk in a saucepan over low heat for a minutes and whisking until smooth.
- Vanilla Extract- Just a touch of vanilla rounds out the flavor of this pie but it isn’t entirely necessary if you don’t have any on hand.
- Corn Starch- Cornstarch tends to be the most reliable starch but arrowroot usually works just as well in its place. Either way, we need starch to help the pie filling thicken and firm up when cooled.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice and Cinnamon- I’ve found one tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice and one teaspoon of cinnamon to be just the right amount for our taste buds but if you’re not a fan of strong flavors from the spice, feel free to reduce them as desired.
- Salt- To help round out the sweetness of the pie, I definitely view this ingredient as a necessity.
- Prepared Pie Crust– Any kind of pie crust works well with this recipe but I recommend baking it for about 5-7 minutes prior to adding the filling. This helps prevent a mushy texture beneath the filling. If you’re in need of a gluten-free pie crust, my 5-Ingredient Grain-free Vegan Pie Crust is our absolute favorite. That’s the crust you see in the pictures for this post.
How to Make The Best Vegan Pumpkin Pie
It’s kind of dangerous how easy it is to make this pie:
- Place everything in the blender, blend until smooth.
- Pour in your prepared pie crust and bake.
- The hardest part is waiting for it to cool but make sure you give it enough time to properly set! I recommend at least 5 hours or up to overnight.
How to Prep Ahead and Store Vegan Pumpkin Pie
If you want to make the pumpkin pie in advance, I recommend baking it no more than 2 days prior. Cover with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
To store leftovers, place in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. If you’d like to freeze the pie, be sure to let it cool completely and refrigerate for several hours in advance. Transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Looking for more delicious vegan pies?
The Best Vegan Pumpkin Pie
- 2 cups pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie mix!*
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar, can also use brown sugar (note that pie will be sweeter with this substitute)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, from a shaken can (unsweetened and full fat)**
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 prepared pie crust, prebaked (see notes)
- coconut whipped cream for serving, So Delicious is my favorite
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into the prebaked pie crust and gently jiggle until top is even and smooth.
- Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes, until golden brown. It should be mostly set when jiggled. Allow to cool completely then refrigerate for at least 5 hours, or until firm. If you can, regrigerate it overnight for best results.
- Slice and serve with vegan whipped cream, and enjoy!