The Best Vegan Pecan Pie
The Best Vegan Pecan Pie- made with just 9 simple ingredients, you would never guess this pecan pie is made without eggs or corn syrup!
Now that we have a super easy pie crust, let us discuss the pecan pie. As in the BEST vegan pecan pie on the face of the planet.
Growing up in the south, I ate my fair share of pecan pie. I’m also confident that approximately zero of those pies were vegan. Most recipes call for eggs, butter and corn syrup. You know, typical southern ingredients.
But the reality is you don’t need all of that to make one bangin’ pecan pie. With just 9 simple ingredients you can whip up a healthier pie that everyone will love.
To make a vegan version that was just as good as the classic I used top notch vegan butter (Miyoko’s you da best), pure maple syrup, coconut sugar, organic corn starch and creamy coconut milk.
The maple syrup, butter and coconut sugar create a salty, caramel-like flavor while coconut milk offers a creamy texture.
If it weren’t for the corn starch the recipe would also be grain-free but it is necessary for binding and firming the pie. Arrowroot might work in it’s place but I find it to be more finicky so I opted for corn starch. It’s the safer choice here.
While this pie takes all of 15 minutes to prepare, it does require a lot of time to set as it cools. This means that you need to prepare it at least a day in advance. Which I think we all do anyway, right?
If you or your loved ones like pecan pie then I hope you get a chance to try this one! It’s a winner.
The Best Vegan Pecan Pie
- 1¼ cup full fat coconut milk from a can, see notes
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter, Miyoko's is the best
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼-½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 9-inch prepared pie crust
- coconut whipped cream for serving, I like So Delicious CocoWhip
- Preheat the oven to 350°F then parbake your prepared pie crust for 7-10 minutes. Set it aside to cool. In a measuring cup, combine the coconut milk and cornstarch then whisk until smooth.
- In a saucepan, melt the vegan butter over medium heat. Add the pecans and toast in the pan for about 30 seconds while stirring continuously. Pour in the maple syrup, coconut sugar, coconut milk mixture, vanilla and salt. Whisk until smooth.
- Cook at a low boil for 2-3 minutes, until the liquid starts to thicken. Remove from heat then pour the mixture in the pie crust. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until filling appears mostly firm when you gently jiggle it.
- Cool on the counter for 2-3 hours then cover and store in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours, ideally overnight. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to an hour before serving. If it’s too cold then it will be firm but serving it at room temperature makes for the perfect texture.