Gluten-free Pistachio Cake
Gluten-free Pistachio Cake- a whole grain and dairy-free cake that’s naturally sweetened and full of pistachio flavor. Perfect to serve for brunch or dessert!
If you’ve never had pistachio cake, allow me to convince you that you need it in your life immediately.
Made with buttery almond flour, finely chopped roasted pistachios and a blend of vanilla and almond extract, it’s sure to be one of the best things you’ve ever tasted.
I based this recipe off of my gluten-free zucchini bread which also uses a mix of oat and almond flour so the texture is somewhat dense, almost like a pound cake.
For the almond flour, I always use my go-to brand, Bob’s Red Mill, because I love that it has a super-fine texture that’s perfect for sneaking into cake. It’s also certified Non-GMO so you rest assured that you’re supporting sustainable farming practices while also making the healthiest choice for your family.
Gluten-free Pistachio Cake Ingredients
- Oat Flour- This is the easier flour to substitute in this recipe because it acts more like a whole wheat flour. I’ve tested it with brown rice flour and had great results. White rice flour would also work well. I do not recommend coconut flour because it is far more absorbent.
- Almond Flour- I wish this was one easier to sub but unfortunately it is essential to this recipe because it adds moisture and help lightens the overall texture of the cake. Plus it’s just darn tasty!
- Baking Soda- This will help leaven the cake. Make sure it is baking soda, not baking powder.
- Eggs- I don’t tend to have good results when I replace eggs with flax in my gluten-free recipes. I usually have to develop an entirely new recipe to evenly balance out the liquid to dry ratios so that it will rise and cook properly. Because of that I can’t recommend that unless you are willing to experiment yourself.
- Non-Dairy Yogurt- We don’t eat dairy so I’ve only tested this with dairy-free yogurt. My favorite is Kite Hill Almond Yogurt because of the rich creamy texture and higher protein content, but any kind of dairy-free yogurt should work.
- Non-Dairy Milk- Again, I like to go with higher protein options like oat or soy milk but any kind should work.
- Pure Maple Syrup- This is our main source of sweetness in the recipe. A possible substitute would be 1/3 cup coconut sugar (or cane sugar) plus 2-3 tablespoons additional milk.
- Vanilla and Almond Extract- I know that almond extract isn’t as popular as vanilla but using both really enhances the flavor of this cake. You could skip it but it won’t taste as good!
- Unrefined Coconut Oil- If you’re not into coconut oil, any neutral flavored oil will work in its place. If you want to use coconut oil but not have it taste like coconut, make sure you’re using unrefined.
- Roasted Pistachios- Depending on how salty your pistachios are you may want to use less (like 1/4 teaspoon) or omit the salt in the recipe.
How to Make Pistachio Cake
- Whisk together the wet ingredients.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry to the wet, top with pistachios and fold everything together.
- Bake until golden. Allow to cool. Top with icing, and enjoy!
It’s seriously so easy to make and would be the perfect treat to serve for Easter or Mother’s Day, or just because. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Want more gluten-free desserts? Check these out!
- Blueberry Lemon Yogurt Bread
- Almond Flour Cardamom Cake
- The Best Vegan and Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Healthy Pumpkin Bread
- Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Brownies
Gluten-free Pistachio Cake
- 1 cup oat flour, or brown rice flour
- 1 cup almond flour, from blanched almonds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 pasture-raised eggs
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup non-dairy yogurt
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup melted unrefined coconut oil
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios, finely chopped, plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven 350°F then lightly grease a 1lb loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup almond flour, 1 cup brown rice or oat flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sift together then set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the 2 eggs with 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup yogurt, 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1 teaspoon almond extract. Whisk until smooth. Add the dry ingredients to the wet along with melted coconut oil and 1/2 cup finely chopped pistachios.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until light golden brown on top. A knife should come out clean when you stick it into the center of the loaf. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes before removing from the pan. Top with lemon icing (optional- see notes) and additional pistachios, serve and enjoy!
This post was created in partnership with a brand that I have used and loved for years, Bob’s Red Mill. As always, all opinions and text are entirely my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make it possible for me to bring you quality content. For more delicious recipes and a coupon for $1.00 off any product, please visit Bob’sRedMill.com.