Gluten-free Pistachio Cake
Gluten-free Pistachio Cake- a whole grain cake that’s naturally sweetened and full of pistachio flavor. (gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free)
You know a recipe is a winner when your mouth waters like crazy as you edit the pictures.
That was the only sentence I had typed when this post went live this morning. I like to write the night before I publish something but after spending eight hours in a car and eating a large dinner paired with a few glasses of red wine, I was done. I went to sleep and completely forgot that I had this pistachio cake scheduled to automatically post. *smacks palm to forehead*
So I thought a pistachio cake would be a good way to celebrate 11, I mean 2, years of marriage. Except I ate the whole thing while Brandon was out of town for the last two weeks. Whoops.
In my defense, pistachio cake is my weakness. Next to chocolate and carrot cake. I like cake. :)
Tomorrow is our actual anniversary so we’re currently in Oregon celebrating, sans pistachio cake, unfortunately. But the drive up from California was absolutely gorgeous and I can’t wait to share our trip with you guys!
But I digress. Getting back to what really matters here, CAKE. I based this recipe off of my gluten-free zucchini bread so the texture is somewhat dense, almost like a pound cake.
It’s made with a simple mixture of brown rice flour and almond flour. I know brown rice flour isn’t something that everyone uses on a regular basis but I love baking with it. The texture is very fine but it still offers all of the nutritional value of a whole grain. You could also use oat flour, if you like.
Vanilla extract, almond extract and shelled pistachios are blended into the batter giving it an addicting nutty flavor. No radioactive pistachio pudding mix needed here! :)
I topped it with a simple lemon glaze but if you want to make it more like a bread and avoid the extra calories, feel free to leave that part out.
Gluten-free Pistachio Cake
- 1 cup oat flour, or brown rice flour
- 1 cup almond flour, from blanched almonds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 pasture-raised eggs
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup non-dairy yogurt
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup melted unrefined coconut oil
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios, finely chopped, plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven 350°F then lightly grease a 1lb loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup almond flour, 1 cup brown rice or oat flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sift together then set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the 2 eggs with 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup yogurt, 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1 teaspoon almond extract. Whisk until smooth. Add the dry ingredients to the wet along with melted coconut oil and 1/2 cup finely chopped pistachios.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until light golden brown on top. A knife should come out clean when you stick it into the center of the loaf. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes before removing from the pan. Top with lemon icing (optional- see notes) and additional pistachios, serve and enjoy!