Halloween Snack Mix
Easy Halloween Snack Mix- packed with sweet and salty treats, this healthier snack mix is easy to prepare and perfect for parties or movie nights at home! (vegan + gluten-free option)
I feel like a more accurate title for this recipe would be Halloween Crack Mix. It needs caution tape, a keep out sign…pretty much anything you can think of to stop you from devouring the entire bowl in one sitting.
With ingredients like crunchy popcorn, salty pretzels, chocolate-covered cereal squares, and candy coated peanuts, it’s an addicting mix that will keep everyone coming back for more.
What Makes this Halloween Snack Mix Healthier?
This snack mix features vegan chocolate coated candy which tends to be lower in sugar, and made with natural dyes rather than artificial food coloring. You can also use whole grain pretzels and cereal squares to pack in as much nutrition as possible.
That said, it is still meant to be a fun snack mix so feel free to include your favorite candies regardless of their sugar content!
Halloween Snack Mix Ingredients
- Mini Pretzels- I like to use whole grain spelt flour pretzels as they tend to be higher in protein, fiber and iron, but any kind will work. Be sure to buy certified gluten-free pretzels if you are making the snack mix for someone with gluten allergies.
- Popcorn- To keep this snack mix dairy-free, use popcorn made with olive oil or avocado oil.
- Cereal Squares- These multigrain cereal squares are my go-to as they are lower in sugar and higher in protein but please be aware that they are not gluten-free. Chex makes a gluten-free rice cereal if you a gluten-free alternative.
- Chocolate Coated Peanuts– This brand makes my favorite vegan version of peanut M&Ms so that’s what I went with for the recipe. However, you can use any kind of candy you like here!
- White Chocolate Chips- Finding dairy-free white chocolate chips can be challenging but I was able to find this brand at my local Publix.
- Natural Orange Food Coloring- To stick with the Halloween theme, we’re using orange food coloring to dye vegan white chocolate. You could also leave the chocolate white if you prefer!
- Chocolate Sprinkles- Because they make the cereal squares look extra spooky with a little black sprinkle on top. ;)
How to Make Halloween Snack Mix
- Melt white chocolate chips then stir in orange food coloring.
- Drizzle over cereal squares and top with chocolate sprinkles. Refrigerate until chocolate is set.
- Combine coated cereal squares with popcorn, pretzels and peanut gems in a large bowl.
- Serve and enjoy!
How to Store Halloween Snack Mix
This snack mix can be prepared several days in advance, although I wouldn’t recommend that as you would have to resist eating all of it which is very hard to do. ;)
Once prepared, store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Looking for more festive halloween recipes?
Halloween Snack Mix
- 4 ounces pretzels, certified gluten-free, if necessary
- 3 ounces multigrain cereal squares, certified gluten-free, if necessary
- 2 ounces popcorn
- 5 ounces chocolate covered peanut gems, or preferred candy
- 3 ounces white chocolate chips
- 20 g chocolate sprinkles, about 2 tablespoons
- natural orange food coloring
- Place a small bowl inside of a saucepan with a few inches of water. Add the white chocolate chips to the bowl. Warm the saucepan over medium-low heat, until water begins to simmer. Using a spoon, stir the chocolate chips as they begin to melt. Continue to stir until all of the chips are completely melted and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To the bowl with the melted chocolate chips, add a few drops of orange food coloring and stir to combine. Add more, as desired, until a rich orange hue appears.
- On a lined baking sheet or tray, spread out the cereal squares. Drizzle the melted orange chocolate over top. Finish with chocolate sprinkles then transfer tray to refrigerator for about 20 minutes, or until chocolate is firm and set.
- Once the chocolate has set, add the squares to a large bowl with remaining ingredients (popcorn, pretzels, and peanut gems). Toss to combine. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container until ready to serve.