Baked Barbecue Tempeh
Barbecue Baked Tempeh- the absolute best way to prepare tempeh. Even tempeh haters will love it!
I used to be one of those people that hated tempeh. Even though I knew it was the healthier option compared to tofu because it was fermented and therefore easier to digest, I just didn’t like the taste.
Brandon, on the other hand, can eat it straight from the package. No sauce required. He actually enjoys the characteristic, funky flavor. Just goes to show we all have different preferences.
If you’re like me and you find the natural flavor of tempeh to be a little off putting, allow me to share a few tips with you that are likely to change your mind about tempeh once you try it this way.
How to Bake Tempeh
First off, the key to disguising the flavor is opening the pores of the tempeh so that it will absorb whatever sauce or marinade you’re using.
You can also accomplish this by steaming but I personally prefer to bake it until warm, toss in the sauce until it’s absorbed, and then finish baking to let the sauce really settle in.
Barbecue sauce has been my flavor of choice as of late because it pairs so well with summer vegetables like zucchini, peppers, and corn on the cob. You can bake all of them on the same sheet pan (in the oven or on the grill) to save yourself from extra dishes too!
Looking for more baked tempeh recipes? Here are some of our favorites:
- Sheet Pan Cabbage and Tempeh with Mustard Tahini Vinaigrette
- Balsamic Dijon Tempeh Buddha Bowls
- Garlic Herb Baked Tempeh
Barbecue Baked Tempeh
- 8 ounces tempeh, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise and cut into half moons
- 2 bell peppers, cored and diced into 1-inch squares
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 red onion, diced into 1-inch squares
- 2 corn on the cob
- high heat cooking spray/oil
- 8 ounces barbecue sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F then line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the diced tempeh and vegetables on top. Lightly coat everything with high heat oil then bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven. Using tongs, transfer tempeh to a medium size bowl. Pour 1/2 cup of the BBQ sauce on top then stir until evenly coated.
- Place the tempeh back on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Serve warm with remaining BBQ sauce and enjoy!