Addicting Honey Almond Snack Mix
Honey Almond Holiday Snack Mix- coated with a simple blend of melted honey and almond butter, this snack mix is the perfect combination of salty, sweet and crunchy. It’s super addicting, easy to make and perfect for the holidays! (vegan + GF option)
Is anyone else in shock that we’re only one week away from Christmas already?
I was hoping to have another cookie recipe for you but unfortunately I need more time to perfect it. Story of my life trying to squeeze in recipe testing while caring for a toddler full-time. I’m perpetually behind.
In the meantime, if you’re looking for one heck of a snack/appetizer to serve your family and friends this one is sure to be a crowd pleaser. Every time I make it, it disappears within a matter of days. Trust me, it’s so addicting, you won’t be able to resist going back for more!
Holiday Snack Mix Ingredients
- Almond Butter- I tend to go for Justin’s Vanilla Almond Butter when I make this because it’s SO GOOD, plus I find that the brands with added oil (such as Justin’s) tend to melt easier. If you’re not using vanilla flavored almond butter, adding a small splash of vanilla extract is a great substitute.
- Honey- Make sure your honey is of pourable consistency otherwise the mixture will be too thick. If you don’t have honey (or you want to make it vegan) simply substitute pure maple syrup or agave nectar.
- Lemon Zest- I like to consider this sort of a secret ingredient because you wouldn’t expect it in a snack mix but it adds this pop of delicious *zing* that makes the whole thing come together. So while it’s not totally necessary, it also kind of is, if that makes any sense.
- Almonds- Roasted and salted almonds are best for their crunchy texture and salty flavor. You can opt for reduced sodium almonds if you want to cut back on the amount of added salt.
- Square Cereal- To keep this snack mix whole grain I like to use Cascadian Farm’s Multigrain Squares. That said, you can also opt for the classic wheat Chex cereal or oatmeal squares for a gluten-free option.
- Pretzels- Again, I opt for pretzels made from spelt flour for that whole grain goodness but regular wheat or gluten-free pretzels will work just the same.
- Dried Cranberries- These add a scrumptious tart flavor and chewy texture so they are kind of essential. I like apple juice sweetened cranberries the best.
- Mini White Chocolate Chips- Did you know that you can buy vegan white chocolate chips?! Thanks to our friends at Enjoy Life we can have all the dairy-free white chocolate we want. :)
How to Make Honey Almond Holiday Snack Mix
If you’ve got 10 minutes then that’s all you need to make this snack mix! Here’s how it’s done:
- Combine the almonds, pretzels, wheat squares, cranberries and lemon zest in a large bowl.
- Melt the honey, almond butter, and vanilla (if using) in a small saucepan over low heat. *It’s very important that you don’t have the heat too high or you will burn the almond butter and it will be too thick to pour*.
- Pour the honey almond butter mixture over top of the ingredients in the bowl and gently stir to combine. Add the white chocolate chips last and continue to stir until evenly combined.
- Transfer mixture to a sealed container. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour before serving. Then get ready to snack your face off!
The honey almond butter mixture makes everything stick together so that there are big crunchy clusters with every bite and the lemon zest gives it a subtle brightness that tastes amazing with the sweet & salty flavors. I didn’t put the word “addicting” in the name for nothing!
Looking for more holiday treats?
- Vegan Gluten-free Cut Out Sugar Cookies
- Vegan Silk Chocolate Pie
- Dreamy Vegan Snickerdoodles
- Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Vegan Gluten-free Gingerbread Men
- Grain-free Cranberry Orange Breakfast Cookies
Addicting Honey Almond Holiday Snack Mix
- 2 cups mini pretzels
- 2 cups multigrain (or brown rice) cereal
- 1 cup lightly salted roasted almonds
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, zest from 1 large lemon (optional)
- ½ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup honey, or pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, if not using vanilla almond butter
- ½ cup mini white or dark chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pretzels, cereal squares, almonds, lemon (or orange) zest, and dried cranberries.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the honey and almond butter and stir together until melted and well-combined. Remove from the heat, stir in the vanilla extract, then pour the mixture over top of the ingredients in the large bowl and toss until evenly coated. Lastly, add the white chocolate chips and stir until evenly combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a sealed container and refrigerate until set, for about 30 minutes. Serve at room temperature and enjoy! Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to one week.
I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing holiday Sarah!! And the happiest of New Years!! :)
Thank you so much, Melissa! I wish the same for you and your family! :)
Somehow my comment from another site appeared here! Super weird. Anyways, I’m loving that honey/almond butter sauce that coats this snack mix. And for me, chocolate chips are never optional ;)
Merry Christmas, Kelli! I hope you have a wonderful day with your family!! xo
Merry Christmas, Megan! I’m glad we became friends this year too! Cheers to 2016, lady! :)
Aw, you’re so sweet to remember that, Amanda. Thank you for thinking of me! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas too! xo
And by the way, I think you win the prize for the most beautiful tree. That thing is seriously gorgeous!:)
Pingback: link love 12/27 - . running with spoons .
Your hands are far from porky! They’re bootiful. I hope you had a wonderful holiday, lady! xo
LOL! Aw, I think your fat Asian baby hand is cute! ;)
Pingback: 18 Activities for Christmas – Bible Study Journey
This sounds like my kind of snack mix! Yum. I hear you on trying to get everything done while caring for a toddler.. it is certainly no joke!!
Also, I wanted to let you know that I made two of your vegan recipes over Christmas :) Will be sharing on IG sometime this week!