Vegan Burger Bowls
Vegan Burger Bowls- seasoned meatless grounds are served with crisp romaine and all of the best burger toppings plus a special sauce. Just 30-minutes to make and each bowl packs 27g of protein!
Burger bowls have been a big hit among Paleo diet followers because they eliminate the need for a bun, in turn eliminating the consumption of grains. While I personally could never stick to anything that discourages me from eating bread, I do appreciate the idea for a lighter, lower-carb meal, especially in the summertime.
So I decided to try a vegan version of the burger bowls by using meatless grounds with a few key seasonings and it turned out to be pretty darn tasty. Plus, if you’re not into the vegan meat thing you can easily replace the grounds with cooked lentils for a whole food plant-based version!
Vegan Burger Bowl Ingredients
- Meatless Grounds- I recently discovered Abbott’s Butcher and have been loving their products! Their vegan “beef” packs in 18g of protein per serving and if you split the container between two bowls that’s 27g of protein per bowl. However, if you’re more into eating a whole food plant-based diet you can easily replace the crumbles with a can of cooked lentils.
- Romaine- Technically you could any green you like but I love romaine for it’s crisp and refreshing texture.
- Red Onion- While white onion would work, I find that red onion is best served raw and pairs perfectly with burgers.
- Tomatoes- Cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes or any kind of chopped tomatoes work here.
- Pickles- Dill pickles are a must for me when it comes to burgers but do whatever your heart desires.
- Shredded Cheese- Finding a good vegan cheese can be tough and I just found out that my favorite (Miyoko’s) is no longer being produced. So frustrating! A good alternative would be Violife as it’s usually available at most supermarkets.
- Vegan Worcestershire- Whenever I post a recipe that calls for worcestershire, I always get comments that it’s not vegan. Guys- they make VEGAN WORCESTERSHIRE. And it’s pretty darn incredible on the crumbles. :)
- Seasonings- Just a few simple seasonings like garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and smoked paprika give the crumbles plenty of flavor.
- Mayo, Ketchup and Vinegar- The “special sauce” is actually just a combination of vegan mayo, ketchup and white vinegar with a few of the seasonings listed above. Nothing fancy but oh-so-good. Feel free to add mustard if that’s your thing or mix in a little more worcestershire for extra flavor.
How to Make Vegan Burger Bowls
My favorite part about this meal is that it is crazy easy to make!
- Prepare sauce by whisking ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Cook meatless grounds (or precooked lentils) with seasonings.
- Serve with chopped romaine, tomatoes, pickles, shredded cheese, red onion and any other toppings you like on your burger! Optional to serve with waffle fries on the side. ;)
Looking for more summer meals? Check these out!
- Lentil, Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- Vegan Crab Cakes with Sriracha Remoulade
- One-Pot Summer Vegetable Lasagna
- Southwestern Quinoa Salad
- Best Vegan Kale Caesar Salad
Vegan Burger Bowls
For the Crumbles
For the Bowls
- 8 ounces chopped romaine
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup dill pickles
- ½ small red onion, sliced
- ½ cup shredded vegan cheese
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
Make the Special Sauce
- Start by making the sauce. Whisk together ingredients in a small bowl. Taste test to see if you prefer more of one ingredient and adjust accordingly. Set aside.
Prepare the Bowls
- Arrange the romaine into two separate bowls then place remaining ingredients on top. Feel free to add anything else you typically like on your burgers!
Prepare the Crumbles
- In a large skillet, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the crumbles and cook for a few minutes. Add the Worcestershire and seasonings then stir to combine. Continue to cook until heated through, or suggested time on the package for whatever brand of crumbles you use. Serve warm in prepare bowls with special sauce on top, and enjoy!