One-Pot Golden Lentil Soup
Bursting with flavor from citrusy turmeric and spicy ginger, this one-pot golden lentil soup comes together in less than 30-minutes. It’s packed with antioxidants, protein and iron, making it the perfect nourishing comfort food.
If you’ve made my one-pot golden lentil curry then you’ll find that this soup recipe looks very familiar. The ingredients are essentially the same, but with a base of celery and carrots rather than bell peppers. I guess you could say the curry is more of a fall-inspired recipe while this one is more wintery but overall they are very similar. I feel like this soup is ideal as spring approaches because it is warming and satiating without feeling too heavy.
Do I have to use fresh turmeric and ginger?
Although I prefer to use fresh turmeric and ginger for optimal flavor, you can easily substitute with ground turmeric and ginger instead. I’ve listed the exact amounts in the ingredient list below.
What are red lentils? Can I use a different kind of lentil?
Red lentils are essentially just yellow lentils that have been hulled and split, making them smaller and size and quicker cooking than other varieties.
If you want to keep this a quick cooking meal, then I suggest sticking with red lentils. Other varieties will increase the cooking time and potentially require more broth as a result.
Looking for more one-pot meals?
- One-Pot Vegetable Tortellini Soup
- One-Pot Garlicky Chard with Chickpeas
- One-Pot Coconut Mung Bean Stew
- One-Pot Vegan White Bean Shakshuka
- One-Pot Red Lentil Sweet Potato Stew
- One-Pot African Peanut Stew
- Quick and Easy Chana Masala
One-Pot Golden Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil , or 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1½ cups finely chopped onion, about 1 medium-size onion
- ½ cup finely chopped carrot, about 2 large carrots
- ½ cup finely chopped celery, about 3-4 celery ribs
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, about 3 cloves
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger, about 1-inch (or 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1 tablespoon grated turmeric, about 1-inch (or 1 teaspoon ground turmeric)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1½ cups dry red lentils
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 handfuls chopped kale or spinach, optional
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk, or light coconut milk, if desired
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, about ½ lemon
- In a large pot, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot, and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- To the pot, add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, and cumin. Continue to cook for 5 minutes more, intermittently stirring.
- Next, add the lentils and broth. Bring to a low boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook with the lid askew, for 15-20 minutes, until lentils are soft. Add the kale or spinach and cook for a few more minutes, until wilted.
- Lastly, pour in the coconut milk and lemon juice. Season with salt & pepper, to taste. Serve warm and enjoy!