Easy Strawberry Pie
Easy Strawberry Pie- made with just 6 ingredients, this strawberry pie is the perfect light and refreshing treat for summertime! (vegan with gluten-free option)
We’re throwing it way back to a recipe that was originally inspired by one of my girlfriends in Texas. We met working together in radiology and she was always designated the one who would bring the desserts for whatever celebration was going on in the department at the time.
We designated her the dessert girl for a reason. She always brought the BEST treats and one of them was a similar version of this strawberry pie. It was basically just sliced strawberries and JELL-O in a pie crust topped with whipped cream. So easy yet so light and refreshing, and absolutely perfect for those brutally hot Texas summers.
Easy Strawberry Pie Ingredients
At the time I wasn’t aware where gelatin came from but as soon as I figured it out, I made it a point to recreate a vegan version of this pie. Since then I’ve made it two different ways:
- Quick and easy with vegan strawberry gelatin from Simply Delish. The first ingredient in this vegan gelatin is erythritol which is a sugar alcohol that’s used as a low-calorie sweetener. I personally don’t love the flavor of alternative sweeteners so I add a few tablespoons of cane sugar to the recipe. I also use a Wholly Wholesome vegan pie crust to save time.
- A bit more time consuming but also more wholesome, this No-Bake Vegan Strawberry Pie is made with agar agar and beet juice then served in a gluten-free almond oat crust. It’s ridiculously scrumptious but a little more work than this option I’m about to show you.
How to Make Easy Strawberry Pie
All you have to do to whip this up is:
- Prebake your pie crust, allow to cool then fill with sliced strawberries.
- Whisk corn starch with water then bring it to a boil.
- Add the strawberry (vegan) gelatin and sugar (optional) then whisk to combine. Remove from heat and allow to thicken.
- Pour it over top the strawberries in the crust. Set aside until firm.
- Serve with whipped cream and enjoy!
Yes, I realize this might not be the healthiest of recipes I’ve ever published on my site but to me being healthy means allowing yourself the freedom to eat a variety of foods. Whether that’s kale salad or an easy strawberry pie, balance and moderation are key to a healthy lifestyle. So go ahead, grab a seat outside with a slice of this strawberry pie and enjoy every last bite!
Want more vegan pie? Check these out:
- The Best Vegan Pumpkin Pie
- Vegan Silk Chocolate Pie
- The Best Vegan Pecan Pie
- Vegan Sweet Potato Pecan Pie
Easy Vegan Strawberry Pie
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes (plus 45 minute chill time)
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 and 3/4 cup cold water
- 6 ounces vegan strawberry gelatin (I used Simply Delish)
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- 3 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1 gluten-free pie crust (9 inches) (I used Wholly Wholesome)
- 2 cups vegan whipped cream topping (I like So Delicious Cocowhip)
Begin by baking the pie crust according to the directions on the package. After it has cooled, arrange sliced strawberries inside of it.
Combine cold water and cornstarch in a large sauce pan and stir until dissolved. Bring liquid to a boil over medium-high heat and then stir-in cane sugar and contents of vegan gelatin. Remove from heat and continue to stir until ingredients dissolve and it starts to slightly thicken. Pour mixture overtop of strawberries within the pie crust and set aside for about 45 minutes to an hour, until firm. Vegan gelatin doesn’t require refrigeration to solidify but you can refrigerate it if you like it cold, like me. Once firm, top with whipped cream, serve and enjoy!
Easy Vegan Strawberry Pie
- 1 prepared pie crust, such as Wholly Wholesome
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
- 1 ¾ cup water
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 packet vegan strawberry gelatin
- 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar, optional
- vegan whipped cream for topping, So Delicious Cocowhip is my favorite
- Begin by baking the pie crust according to the directions on the package. Set aside to cool.
- Once the crust has cooled, arrange the sliced strawberries on top.
- In a large sauce pan, combine cold water and cornstarch and whisk until dissolved. Bring liquid to a boil over medium-high heat and then stir-in cane sugar and contents of vegan gelatin. Remove from heat and continue to stir until ingredients dissolve and start to slightly thicken.
- Pour mixture overtop of strawberries within the pie crust and set aside for about 45 minutes to an hour, until firm. Vegan gelatin doesn’t require refrigeration to solidify but we prefer it cold. Once the pie is firm, top with whipped cream, serve and enjoy!
Disclaimer: The link to the vegan gelatin is an Amazon affiliate link. If you decide to purchase it after clicking on the link, I will receive a small percentage of the sale which helps me keep this site alive running so thank you for your support!
mmmm strawberry pie! I’ve never had one, because of the Jell-o, but they always look so good! I’d actually never seen flavored vegan gelatin before. The organic market near me only sells “plain” and you sweeten it with fruit juice (and it’s not very good). excited to see that options exist!
I was pleasantly surprised with the Simply Delish. It’s made with xylitol so it’s sugar free but it doesn’t affect the flavor too much. Plus xylitol helps prevent cavities and strawberries whiten your teeth. You can eat pie and brush your teeth at the same time, haha! (kidding!) :)
This looks fantastic! So refreshing, naturally sweet and perfect for summer!
I’m obsessed with strawberries right now! They’re so juicy and amazing! This strawberry pie sounds like the perfect dessert for me and I’m glad it’s easy to make!
I’ve actually been wanting to make a vegan jell-o pie for some time now. I really want to make banana cream pie, but I guess that would be pudding haha. My grandma makes a pie just like the one you made.. so good!
This post makes me happy. I made this pie for Father’s Day for Jayme. It’s his favorite. :) I’m so glad that you took a little Texas with ya to Cali!
Aw, thank you for making all of those great desserts! I have lots of inspiration for the blog now. And I’ll always have a little piece of Texas in my heart! :)
I’m currently in the thick of that hot Texas Summer, so I can totally understand why this would be life changing. I went to a little Strawberry farm last weekend and picked a massive amount of strawberries, and I think this recipe would be perfect to make with them!
Oh, that sounds like a great time, picking fresh strawberries! I need to look into doing that out here.
Laughing out loud at the “agar agar” and disrupting a snoozing Rosie on my lap :) my sister and I have been looking for a 4th of July themed dessert to make tomorrow, and I think we’ve found it! Just substituting blue jello for the strawberry–I’m definitely sending this to my sister. :) Have a great 4th, girlie!
Aw, poor Rosie! It would be so festive with blue jello, great idea!
You nailed Texas perfectly! ;-)
This pie would be perfect for the Fourth! And super cute with blueberries on top for a red, white & blue thing?
I thought about adding blueberries too but I wanted to keep to the original recipe. However, I think it would awesome with blueberries too!
This looks absolutely amazing… And given the freak heat wave that we’ve been experiencing here lately, I seriously wouldn’t mind digging in to a slice or two of this pie myself. Any plans to visit Canada any time soon? :D
I hope I can visit Canada one day! If so, I’ll make this pie and bring it to you. Assuming it’s during the one hot month in Canada. :)
I’ve only been to Dallas. I liked it a lot except for the restaurants – all of the ones we ended up at were not the most vegan-friendly! Bacon, lard, and butter in everything. I’ve heard Austin has awesome vegetarian restaurants, so I definitely want to go there at some point.
This pie looks amazing! I love fruity desserts in the summer.
my mouth is watering right now, and its def time for lunch and I keep reading food blogs= bad idea! I would def want to make this for a summer dessert! Thanks for the recipe
Wow! Great recipe! Love anything strawberry!
I have never been to Texas.. hopefully one day!
Have a great 4th!
This looks so fresh and perfect for a warm summer day. I never heard of agar agar, you must post a recipe once you played around enough with it in the kitchen. I’m a little apprehensive to use gelatin, something my micro teacher said to me creeped me off it forever!
This looks so fabulously simple! Perfect summer dessert, clearly.
I know! It’s like duh, why didn’t I think of this?! Have a great 4th too Charlotte! :)
Yeah, I was pretty shocked when I first heard it too. We got into a debate about it and I had to prove to all of those Texans that chunk used in that context isn’t a word. I won. :)
Aw, thanks Suzanne! I say go for it with the blueberries!
This looks fabulous! I just picked up 2 lbs of strawberries at the farmers market and now I know exactly what to do with them :)
That looks delicious! I wish we had gluten free ingredients here in Australia like that pie crust but we are still quite behind!
I adore strawberry pie. And this looks amazing! So perfect for the 4th. :)
This looks super amazing! I love berry pie’s and I really love that this is gluten-free and vegan, just pinned this :)
MMM I love strawberries, and I love that you made it light! :)
Oh this pie sounds really good! I lived in Texas for a summer internship a few years and and was shocked how many people really did walk around with cowboy hats and boots.
Pingback: Fresh & Simple Berry Pie - Mixing It Up
Pingback: No-Bake Vegan Strawberry Pie – Making Thyme for Health
Pingback: Vegan S'mores Brownies - Making Thyme for Health
Pingback: Perfect Strawberry Cake - Making Thyme for Health