Classic Vegan Potato Salad
Classic Vegan Potato Salad- made with a secret ingredient, no one would ever guess this classic potato salad is vegan!
After recreating a plant-based version of my favorite macaroni salad, I realized that I didn’t have a recipe for a classic potato salad. It’s time that changed!
I know mayo-based potato salad isn’t everyone’s jam but if I had to choose, I’m going to pick mayo every time. Using dairy-free mayo is an easy way to make a classic potato salad vegan, but there is one ingredient that’s not so easy to substitute.
Classic Vegan Potato Salad Ingredients
Most potato salads made with mayonnaise include hard boiled eggs which are not so easy to find vegan substitutes for. However, there is one ingredient that makes an excellent stand-in…
- Red or Yukon Gold Potatoes– I personally prefer to use one of these varieties for potato salad because they have the best flavor and texture. But any kind of potato will work!
- Celery, Red Onion and Bell Pepper– this trio of veggies provides a crisp texture and a nice punch of flavor.
- Dill Relish– pickles are a MUST for me in potato salad. The tangy, vinegar flavor is just too good to leave out.
- Dairy-free Mayonnaise– we whisk this with dijon mustard and white vinegar for a creamy base that’s tangy and delicious.
- Hummus– last but certainly not least, hummus is the perfect plant-based stand-in for hard boiled eggs. The sulfur from the chickpeas mimics the eggy flavor and the thick texture provides a similar feel to boiled egg yolks. I recommend sticking with the original flavor for best results.
How to Make Classic Vegan Potato Salad
- First step is to dice your potatoes! Doing this step prior to boiling helps them hold their shape and prevents the skins from coming off. Of course if you don’t like the skin on, feel free to peel them before you dice them.
- Next, we boil the potatoes and then whisk together the mayo dressing.
- Once the potatoes have cooled, add them to a large bowl with the chopped veggies and pour the dressing on top.
- Refrigerate until ready serve!
I couldn’t be happier with how much this vegan version tasted just like the classic potato salad I used to eat growing up. It’s my go-to recipe and I have a feeling once you try it, it will become yours too!
Looking for more picnic-inspired eats?
Classic Vegan Potato Salad
- 2 lbs red or yukon gold potatoes, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, cored and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dill relish
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons plain hummus
- 3 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt & pepper
- In a large pot, cover diced potatoes with cold water by about 1-inch. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for about 5-7 minutes, until potatoes are fork tender. Drain the potatoes and rinse with cold water. Set aside to cool to room temperature, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile combine the mayonnaise, mustard, hummus, vinegar, salt & pepper in a small bowl or large measuring cup. Whisk together until smooth.
- To the bowl with the potatoes, add the celery, red pepper and relish. Pour the mayo mixture over top and stir until everything is evenly coated. Add more salt & pepper if desired. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 days in advance.