Sheet Pan Gnocchi with Sausage and Peppers (vegan, gluten-free)
Sheet Pan Gnocchi with Sausage and Peppers- Easy to prep and nearly zero clean-up, this flavorful sheet pan meal packs 28g of protein per serving! (vegan + gluten-free)
If you’ve made my Winter Vegetable Sheet Pan Gnocchi then you’ll notice this sheet pan gnocchi recipe looks very similar. Instead of using winter vegetables, this time we’re highlighting summer/late fall produce by incorporating crunchy peppers and ripe, juicy tomatoes.
I was inspired to try a sheet pan gnocchi with sausage and peppers because I’ve always loved the idea of how simple the classic Italian meal is. Of course I’ve never had it with animal sausage, but it’s just as easy to make vegan using meatless sausage such as Field Roast or Beyond Sausage. The best part is that the entire meal is baked on sheet pans so if you use parchment paper there is basically zero clean up. It’s the perfect quick dinner for a busy weeknight!
Sheet Pan Gnocchi with Sausage and Peppers Ingredients
- Gnocchi- There are so many types of gnocchi out there now that it can be hard to pick one but my go-to is Bella Terra Chickpea Gnocchi because I like that it’s higher in protein and fiber. I have also made this recipe with traditional potato gnocchi and had good results. Feel free to choose whatever kind you like and be sure to choose certified gluten-free gnocchi to make the recipe GF.
- Bell Peppers– You’ll want about 2-3 bell peppers depending on their size (2 if large, 3 or 4 if medium to small). I tend to use a variety of colors since that’s what’s available at my Farmers Market. Red are sweeter and green are the least sweet so choose according to your preferences.
- Onion– Again, color doesn’t really matter so feel free to choose red, yellow or sweet onions.
- Tomatoes– Cherry or grape tomatoes work best for this recipe as there isn’t any prep required. Just rinse, pat dry and add to the sheet pan. As they cook, they will soften and burst open with their delicious juices.
- Sausage– This recipe is written assuming you are using plant-based sausages as they don’t require a long cook time. If you choose to use animal sausage, please make sure to adjust the cook time accordingly.
- Arugula– I love adding some green to this recipe by serving it on a bed of arugula. It makes it feel fresh and the peppery flavor complements the roasted vegetables. That said, you can omit it if you prefer.
- Homemade Italian Dressing– I have made this without the dressing and it is perfectly edible but the Italian dressing gives it that extra oomph, if you know what I mean. It only takes a second to whip up and is made with pantry ingredients (extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano and garlic powder).
How to Make Sheet Pan Gnocchi with Sausage and Peppers
- Arrange gnocchi on sheet pan and bake for 7 mins.
- Prep the vegetables. Arrange on a separate sheet pan then add to oven and bake together with gnocchi for another 15 minutes.
- Add the sausage to the pan with the gnocchi and cook everything for a final 10 minutes.
- Prep dressing.
- Serve cooked gnocchi with sausage and peppers over arugula topped with dressing and enjoy!
Looking for more easy sheet pan meals?
- One Pan Mexican Sweet Potato Bake
- Sheet Pan Cabbage and Tempeh With Mustard Tahini Vinaigrette
- Winter Vegetable Sheet Pan Gnocchi
- Sheet Pan Chickpea Tikka
- Balsamic Glazed Tempeh Sheet Pan Dinner
- Sheet Pan Rosemary Potatoes with Balsamic Mushrooms, White Beans and Kale
Sausage and Pepper Sheet Pan Gnocchi
For the Sheet Pan Gnocchi
- 16 ounces gnocchi, chickpea gnocchi is my favorite; use certified GF gnocchi if necessary
- 1 red or yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2-3 bell peppers, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 8 ounces vegan sausage, sliced into ¼-inch thick rounds
- high heat oil spray
- 5 ounces arugula, for serving
For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
Prepare the Sheet Pan Gnocchi
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Arrange the gnocchi over top of one baking sheet and lightly spray with oil. Bake in the oven for 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange the peppers, onions, and tomatoes over top of the remaining baking sheet. Lightly coat with oil. Once the 7 minutes has passed, add the second baking sheet to the oven with the gnocchi. Continue to bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Once the 15 minutes has passed, remove the gnocchi from the oven. Add the sliced sausage to the sheet pan with the gnocchi then return to oven and bake everything for an additional 10 minutes.
Prepare the Dressing
- While you wait for the sausage to cook, prepare the dressing by combining the ingredients in a small bowl or measuring cup and whisking together.
- Serve baked gnocchi, vegetables and sausage over top of arugula. Finish with dressing, serve and enjoy!