Easy Tofu Tacos
These tofu tacos have become our go-to for taco night! They take 30-minutes to make and you only have to wash one bowl (so long as you line your baking sheet). Y’all know that’s my kind of meal.
In addition to being easy to make, they are loaded with flavor and protein. We’re talking 10 grams per taco! Of course this will vary depending on the brand of tofu and tortillas you use but in general they are a great source of plant-based protein.
Tofu Taco Ingredients
- Tofu- I recommend using firm or extra firm tofu as they have the best texture for this recipe. My favorite is Trader Joes High Protein Tofu because not only is it the highest protein tofu that I’ve found but it’s organic and very affordable. Win win.
- Black Beans- Using canned black beans helps this recipe come together super fast. Be sure to drain and rinse them, especially if they have added salt (I always buy unsalted). If you’re not a fan of black bean feel free to use your favorite beans instead.
- Salsa- A good majority of the flavor comes from the salsa so you want to be sure you’re using one that you like and that isn’t too spicy for your liking.
- Olive Oil- Just a few tablespoons of olive helps the cooking process as the tofu and beans bake in the oven. I haven’t tested it without the oil but if you’re oil-free you may be able to get away with skipping it altogether.
- Tamari- Soy sauce (or tamari which is just gluten-free soy sauce) imparts a savory umami flavor to the tofu so I don’t recommend skipping it.
- Spices- A blend of chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika gives a delicious smoky flavor to the tofu. Simply Organic is my favorite chili powder and I find it to be very mild. Some chili powders can vary in heat so be sure that yours has your preferred spice level before using it in the recipe.
- Nutritional Yeast- If you’re not familiar with nutritional yeast I have a blog post that explains it here. We’re using it to give the tofu even more savory, slightly cheesy flavor. It’s not totally necessary but I think it adds a lot of flavor so I personally wouldn’t skip it.
How to Make Tofu Tacos
Prep ahead tip: You can prep up until step 3 then cover and refrigerate the bowl until you’re ready to cook. Allow the tofu mixture to sit out at room temperature while the oven preheats, then bake as instructed. You may need to add a few minutes of cooking, depending on how cold the mixture is when it starts to bake.
- Crumble the tofu on a dish towel. This step helps the tofu release some of the moisture which improves the texture.
- Whisk together the oil, tamari and spices in a large bowl. Add the crumbled tofu and stir until evenly coated.
- Add the black beans, salsa and nutritional yeast to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Transfer to a lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, stirring half way through.
- Serve warm with tortillas and desired toppings, and enjoy!
Looking for more easy dinner ideas?
- Easy Avocado Pesto Pasta
- Easy Vegan Red Lentil Bolognese
- Vegan Tempeh Egg Roll Bowls
- Quick and Easy Chana Masala
- White Bean Alfredo Sauce
- One-Pot Red Lentil Sweet Potato Stew
- Vegan White Bean Chili
- 30-Minute Creamy Red Pepper Penne
Easy Tofu Tacos
- 14 ounces firm tofu, I like Trader Joes high protein tofu
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari, or soy sauce/coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¾ cup salsa
- 15 ounces canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 12 tortillas
- desired toppings such as lettuce, tomato, sour cream, cheese, avocado etc.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with a dry dish towel. With a separate towel or paper towels, pat the tofu dry. Using your fingers, crumble the tofu over the dish towel on the baking sheet making sure it is spread out. Allow to sit out and "dry" while you prepare the marinade.
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, tamari and spices (chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika and salt). Stir to combine.
- Transfer the tofu from the towel to the bowl with the spices. Stir until evenly coated.
- To the bowl, add the salsa, beans and nutritional yeast. Stir to combine. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper then distribute the tofu mixture over top. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, stirring half way through.
- Remove tofu mixture from the oven and serve warm with tortillas and desired toppings, and enjoy!
These tacos are delicious with a little avocado, lettuce & pico de gallo. My entire family loved them. Thank you, your recipes never disappoint!!! 5 stars
Thank you for the review, Julie! I’m so glad they were a hit!
Pingback: Vegan Chocolate Protein Mug Cake - Making Thyme for Health