Easy Mexican Stuffed Peppers
Easy Mexican Stuffed Peppers- Just 25 minutes to prep, these vegan and gluten-free stuffed peppers are easy to make and packed full of flavor!
Tis’ the season for stuffed peppers! The lingering warm weather has our farmers market exploding with peppers so now is the best time to fill them with all of those delicious Mexican flavors.
I based this recipe off of my ever so popular Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowls. The filling is almost identical to that recipe and it is super simple to prepare. Let me show you!
How to Make Easy Mexican Stuffed Peppers
What I love about the filling is you only need one skillet to prep it!
- Warm oil (or broth for an oil-free option) in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion and jalapeño for about 5 minutes, until soft.
- Next up, we’re adding cooked rice, black beans, salsa, corn and spices such as chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika. Cook until heated through.
- Lastly, stuff the peppers with the filling, sprinkle with cheese, and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes. That’s all there is to it!
Even though these are easy enough to make on a weeknight, you can always prep them in advance by following all of the steps prior to baking then cover and refrigerate. Then you just pop them in the oven when you’re ready to serve them for dinner!
Looking for more stuffed veggie meals? Check these out:
- Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowls
- Mediterranean Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- Mexican Zucchini Burrito Boats
- Chili Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Vegan Zucchini Taco Boats
Easy Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell peppers, halved with core/seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon oil, I use avocado oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, cored/seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 16-ounce jar salsa
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen and defrosted
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar/monterey jack for topping, my favorite dairy-free brand is Violife
- Preheat the oven to 375°F then lightly grease a 9x13" baking dish. Arrange the halved and cored peppers inside and set aside.
- In a large skillet, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeno then cook for about 3-5 minutes, until soft.
- To the skillet, add the cooked rice, black beans, salsa, corn, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika and salt. Stir to combine and cook for about 5 minutes, until heated through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Stuff all of the pepper halves with the filling then sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil (I use a baking sheet placed on top) and bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until peppers are tender. Uncover and cook for 5 more minutes, until cheese is melted. Allow to cool for at least 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve warm and enjoy!