Creamy Tomato Spinach Pasta
Creamy Tomato Spinach Pasta- made with just 10 ingredients in less than 30 minutes, this recipe will make pasta night a breeze! (vegan + gluten-free)
Do you have pasta night in your house? We usually make it once per week and it’s probably one of my favorite meals. Yes, because carbs, obviously. But also because it’s so darn simple. Boil the pasta, cook the sauce, BOOM…dinner is served.
This creamy tomato spinach pasta has been one of our go-to meals lately because it sneaks in some green which I find can be hard to get in on a daily basis. All you have to do is dump a bag of prewashed baby spinach into the skillet and you’re good to go.
Creamy Tomato Spinach Pasta Ingredients
- Onion and Garlic– As an good base should start with, garlic and onion are key players for adding flavor to this dish.
- Crushed Tomatoes– Our tomato sauce is made from using crushed tomatoes (Jovial is my favorite brand) for a little bit of texture.
- Oregano and Basil– I always make sure to have dried seasonings on hand and these two work perfect in this pasta. That said, feel free to switch it up if you prefer different herbs.
- Baby Spinach– As I said before, using prewashed baby spinach keeps this recipe super speedy.
- Penne Pasta– Any variety of pasta will work fine here. I like Trader Joe’s red lentil penne for a nice dose of protein and iron.
- Dairy-free Cream Cheese– Whether you use dairy-free or regular cream cheese is totally up to you but I like to keep it vegan by using Kite Hill’s plain cream cheese. It’s the best!
How to Make Creamy Tomato Spinach Pasta
- Cook pasta as directed. Strain and set aside.
- Sauté garlic and onion then add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes and the seasonings. Bring to a low simmer.
- Stir in the cream cheese until melted and smooth.
- Add the cooked pasta and stir to combine. Serve warm and enjoy!
This recipe is really so simple to make and the creamy tomato sauce is absolutely delicious. I hope it finds it’s way into your weekly meal rotation soon!
Looking for more easy pasta ideas?
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta with Creamy Marinara
- Tomato Corn Orzo with White Wine Butter Sauce
- Ratatouille Pasta Sauce
- 30-Minute Creamy Red Pepper Pasta
- Creamy Cauliflower Hemp Alfredo
Creamy Tomato Spinach Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 30 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 8 ounces plain dairy-free cream cheese, Kite Hill is my favorite
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt & pepper
- 8 ounces baby spinach
- 16 ounces penne pasta, or pasta of choice
- fresh basil and vegan cashew parmesan for garnish, optional
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta as directed. Strain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic then cook for about 3 minutes, until onion is translucent. Then add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- To the skillet, add the crushed tomatoes and seasoning (oregano, basil, salt & pepper). Reduce heat to a simmer. Add the cream cheese and stir until melted and evenly combined.
- Strain the pasta, add it back to the pot then pour the sauce over top. Stir until evenly coated. Serve warm with cashew parmesan and fresh basil (optional), and enjoy!