Vegan Tempeh Caesar Salad Wraps
Vegan Tempeh Caesar Salad Wraps- Made with savory tempeh, crunchy romaine and the BEST vegan caesar salad dressing. Each wraps offers over 30g of protein!
Caesar salads aren’t typically my first choice of salad but once I tried the BEST vegan caesar salad dressing, everything changed. The texture is lighter than a typical caesar dressing so you don’t feel like it’s weighing down the lettuce which I personally appreciate. Soggy lettuce just isn’t my thing, you know?
Because I enjoy that dressing so much I had to find more ways to incorporate it into my life. These protein-packed tempeh caesar salad wraps are the latest vessel and let me tell you, they do not disappoint. The savory baked tempeh paired with crunchy romaine, juicy tomatoes, and creamy caesar dressing are a match made in wrap heaven.
Vegan Tempeh Caesar Salad Wrap Ingredients
- Tempeh- If you’re new to tempeh, it is basically just a fermented block of soybeans (or other legume) that has a slightly bitter flavor. I love it because it’s an excellent plant-based source of complete protein and the fermentation process makes it easier for you to digest and absorb all of the the protein, iron and antioxidants. If you’re not up for taking the time to marinate the tempeh, you can save time and buy packaged tempeh bacon instead.
- Homemade Marinade– A simple combination of tamari (or soy sauce), vegan Worcestershire sauce, extra virgin olive oil, pure maple syrup, garlic powder and smoked paprika will infuse the tempeh with savory goodness.
- Romaine– Crisp romaine is ideal for that classic caesar salad effect but you can sub whatever leafy green you like. If you choose something more robust like kale, you may want to massage the dressing into the kale first to help break it down.
- Tomatoes– I used cherry tomatoes as they are most flavorful option from my farmers market but any kind of tomato will work. You can also omit the tomato if you’re not a fan.
- Avocado- I’ve also included avocado because I love the creamy texture it provides but it is optional if you don’t have any on hand.
- Vegan Parmesan– A little bit of shredded or shaved parmesan goes a long way in these wraps. The wedge of Violife parmesan is my absolute favorite.
- Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing– Technically you can use any kind of caesar dressing you like but I think you’d be amiss not to include the best vegan caesar salad dressing. Trust me, it’s worth the 10 minutes it takes to make it!
How to Make Vegan Tempeh Caesar Salad Wraps
- Steam the tempeh. If you’re not using packaged tempeh bacon then I’d recommend steaming your tempeh first for the best flavor. This step removes the typical bitter flavor and allows the tempeh to absorb all of the goodness of the marinade.
- Marinate the tempeh. Whisk together the ingredients for the marinade then toss in the steamed tempeh strips. Allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes or up to overnight. * You can skip this step and the steaming step if using tempeh bacon.
- Bake the tempeh. Cook in the oven for about 7 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Assemble the wraps. Fill each wrap with romaine lettuce, baked tempeh, tomatoes, and avocado. Sprinkle with vegan parmesan, drizzle with vegan caesar dressing, then fold wraps and enjoy!
Looking for more healthy lunch ideas?
- Lentil Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- Summer Vegetable Hummus Quesadillas
- Classic Lentil Burgers
- 5-Ingredient Green Socca
- Mediterranean Couscous Salad
- Crunchy Quinoa Power Bowl with Almond Ginger Dressing
Vegan Tempeh Caesar Salad Wraps
For the Tempeh
For the Wraps
- 2 burrito sized wraps
- 2 cups romaine lettuce , chopped
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- vegan parmesan, optional; Violife is my favorite brand
- 1 batch vegan caesar salad dressing
Marinate the Tempeh
- This step is optional but helps to open the pores of the tempeh so that it absorbs more of the marinade and reduces bitterness. In a steamer basket, steam the tempeh for about 10 minutes. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, whisk together all of the ingredients for the marinade in a large shallow bowl.
- Once the tempeh is cool enough to handle, slice into ¼-inch thick strips then place in the bowl with the marinade. Stir until the strips are evenly coated. Allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes or up to overnight.
Bake the Tempeh
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Arrange the marinated tempeh strips on top allowing a few inches of space between each strip. Bake in the oven for about 7 minutes on each side. Remove from oven and set aside.
Assemble the Wraps
- Inside of each wrap layer the romaine, tempeh, tomatoes, and avocado. Drizzle with vegan caesar dressing and top with shredded parmesan. Roll up wraps like a burrito. Serve immediately and enjoy!