The Best Damn Tofu Salad
Made with sesame ginger tofu, juicy mango and crunchy peanuts, this salad is loaded with flavor and texture. Each salad packs 18g of protein!
I’m sorry for cursing but I had to get your attention. Because let’s be real, ain’t nobody gonna get excited over a tofu salad, meh.
BUT…if it’s the BEST damn tofu salad you’ve ever had in your entire life then you might feel a little different, yes?
Let’s hope so because I promise you it’s worth trying!
It’s actually inspired by an amazing local Bay Area restaurant called Spice Kit. The owners are a couple of retired chefs who worked in fine dining restaurants, such as the renowned French Laundry in Napa, and decided that they wanted to try something a little more laid back. With that in mind, they decided to create a relaxed and casual restaurant that serves up the most delicious Asian Street Food.
Recently Nasoya reached out to me to try their ready-to-eat baked tofu (like sesame ginger!), and I knew exactly what I was going to make it with.
All I did was chop up their Sesame Ginger Tofu into squares and sauté it in a pan, then added it on top of the greens with the other veggies and whipped up a super simple sesame vinaigrette made from rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, and tamari.
The salty flavors of the tamari and the peanuts pair wonderfully with the sweet mango and the richness of the sesame oil. Then the crisp radishes, jicama, and cool cucumber give it amazing texture. It really is the best!
The Best Damn Tofu Salad
For the Salad
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes; I like Nasoya Sesame Ginger Tofu
- 1 teaspoon reduced sodium tamari, or soy sauce
- 5 ounces mixed greens
- 1 small mango, peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 4 ounces jicama, sliced into thin strips
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- ½ medium-size cucumber, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup roasted and salted peanuts
- In a large skillet, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the tofu to the skillet along with one teaspoon of tamari. Cook for about 7-10 minutes, tossing frequently with a spatula, until golden brown on the edges.
- Combine the vinegar, tamari, maple syrup and sesame oil in a small bowl or cup and whisk together.
- Assemble the salads by distributing the greens between two large bowls. Divide the mango, jicama, cucumber and radishes over top of each. Sprinkle with peanuts and set aside.
- Once the tofu is done cooking, divide it among both salads. Top with dressing and enjoy!