Mini Salsa & White Bean Loaves
An easy and healthy meatless entree that’s bursting with flavor from salsa and cheese!
This week at work I met a woman who had a bad case of meningitis earlier in her life, resulting in the loss of both her vision and her hearing. Remarkably, she came in alone equipped with nothing but a wireless keyboard and a separate handheld computer.
In order to communicate with her I had to type everything I wanted to say on the wireless keyboard which then sent a signal to her handheld computer, activating a small strip of instantaneous brail for her to read as I was typing. Because she had once been able to hear and see, she was still able to speak extremely well considering her current state. But what really surprised me about her was that she exuded confidence, fearlessness, and was even happy enough to break into bits of laughter at any given moment. She was truly amazing.
Sometimes I get wrapped up in my own little world and allow small things to upset me but moments like the one I shared with her remind me how lucky I am to be able to physically drive to work and look out my window at the beautiful blue sky. Or to be able to talk on the phone and hear Brandon’s voice when he is so far away from me. Suddenly all of my problems felt pretty damn miniscule.
What does all of that have to do with these loaves? Absolutely nothing. I just felt like writing what was on my mind today. :)
But these are definitely worth talking about too. They’re easy to throw together, full of healthy protein and are bursting with flavor from the salsa and cheese. And they come out with a beautiful golden crust. They’re sure to be in the regular rotation around here for a while. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
2 (15 ounce) cans white beans, drained and rinsed (I used Great Northern beans)
1 cup salsa (8 ounces)
3/4 cup breadcrumbs (I used whole wheat Panko crumbs)
1 whole egg, beaten (substitute 1/2 cup warm water + 3 tablespoons ground flax for vegan version)
1/4 cup rolled oats
6 green onions, diced (about 1/4 cup)
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used mild cheddar & Monterey jack)
3 cloves garlic, minced (about one tablespoon)
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped (optional)
- Start by preheating the oven to 400°F and then drain and rinse both cans of beans before pouring them into a large bowl.
- Mash the beans with a fork until a chunky texture is formed. You should still be able to see some shape to the beans, you don’t want to over-mash them.
- Add the diced green onion, minced garlic, garlic salt, pepper, Italian seasonings and fresh herbs (optional) and mix together.
- Then add the breadcrumbs, rolled oats, salsa, beaten egg and shredded cheese and mix everything together until well combined.
- Take about 3/4 cup of the mixture into your hands at a time and shape into four (or more if you like them smaller) mini loaves.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or greased foil) and cook in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for several minutes before serving.
Inspired by Iowa Girl Eats
*These can also be made ahead of time and frozen for later on in the week, when life gets too busy.
What do you love most about your job?
Do you like beans?