Vegan Dessert Pizza
Vegan Dessert Pizza- made with a crisp gluten-free crust and a lightly sweetened cream cheese frosting, this dessert pizza is the perfect way to showcase summertime fruit!
Today’s recipe combines two of my favorite things: dessert and pizza.
If you haven’t tried dessert pizza before it might sound like a strange concept. But the combo of a cookie crust paired with a cream cheese frosting and fresh fruit is one that can’t be missed. It’s a perfect way to highlight juicy summer berries and serve up a festive dessert for everyone to enjoy.
Vegan Dessert Pizza Ingredients
- Vegan Gluten-free Sugar Cookie Dough– If you’ve made my vegan and gluten-free sugar cookies then it won’t be hard for you imagine what an incredible crust they would make. The crisp edges and firm texture holds up quite nice when topped with frosting and berries. Preparing the dough is super easy too. Just whisk together the dry ingredients (oat flour, tapioca flour, almond flour, salt and baking powder), pour in the wet (maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract) then stir until a dough forms.
- Dairy-free Cream Cheese– Choosing a quality vegan cream cheese is key for optimal frosting texture. My favorites are Kite Hill and Miyokos.
- Powdered Sugar– A lot of vegans will comment that powdered sugar isn’t vegan (because many brands use bone char to process it) however, there are several brands on the market that are vegan. Wholesome is my go-to brand.
- Vanilla Extract– Just a hint of vanilla rounds out the flavor of the frosting.
- Fresh Blueberries and Strawberries- Now you can obviously use whatever kind of fruit you want here but I chose blueberries and strawberries to keep it festive for Independence Day.
How to Make Vegan Dessert Pizza
- Prepare the Frosting. Using a hand mixer (or a stand mixer) beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla. You’ll want to start with 1/2 cup of the sugar to begin with then add more as needed, until a thick and creamy frosting forms. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare the Dough. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl, pour in the wet and stir to combine, until a dough forms. Transfer to a sheet of parchment paper then roll out into a 9-inch circle.
- Bake the Crust. Pop the crust in a preheated oven and bake until firm and light golden on the edges. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Top with Frosting and Berries. Spread the frosting over top of the crust then arrange the berries on top.
- Serve immediately and enjoy! Once you have topped it with frosting and berries, it is best to enjoy within an hour. If you’d like to prep it in advance, follow the directions up to step 3 then (leaving it on the baking sheet) cover the crust with plastic wrap or bees wrap and refrigerate. When ready to serve, remove from fridge and top with frosting and berries!
Looking for more summer recipes?
- Honey-Lime Peach Salsa
- Easy Black Bean Burgers
- Blueberry Corn and Basil Quinoa Salad
- Easy Strawberry Pie
- Classic Vegan Potato Salad
- Vegan S’Mores Brownies
- Lentil Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- Vegan Macaroni Salad
Vegan Dessert Pizza
- In a large bowl, prepare the frosting by combining the cream cheese, ½ cup powdered sugar and vanilla. Using a hand mixer (or a stand mixer), beat together until a smooth frosting forms. Add more sugar as needed to thicken. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vegan and gluten-free sugar cookie dough as directed in linked post. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Transfer dough to parchment paper then roll into a 9-inch circle. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until light golden brown on the edges. Set aside to cool.
- Once the cookie crust is completely cooled, spread the frosting over top until it is covered along the edges.. Arrange berries over top. Serve immediately and enjoy!