Blueberry, Corn & Basil Quinoa Salad
Blueberry, Corn & Basil Quinoa Salad- bursting with flavor and satiating protein, this nutritious salad is perfect for summertime potlucks and picnics! (vegan & gluten-free)
Our summer plans might look a little different this year but that doesn’t mean we have to spend it cooped up inside! One of my favorite ways to get outdoors is to plan a hike or trip to a local park. Fresh air and sunshine is super important for our mental health, especially considering recent events.
Now that we have an infant I have to plan ahead since going out to eat on a whim is sort of like playing Russian roulette. You never know which emotion you’re going get and the last thing I want is a screaming baby in a public place, six feet of distance or not. Packing our own food means we get to be on our own time schedule which is a major stress reliever for this mama.
Quinoa salads are my favorite for hikes and picnics because they hold up well at room temperature and are packed full of satiating protein. This one features a host of summer goodness; tart blueberries, sweet corn, fragrant basil, and crunchy roasted almonds for texture. All of that tossed in a lemon and apple cider vinaigrette that will leave your taste buds asking for more.
Some of you might already know this but I’ve worked with Bob’s Red Mill for years because I love that they make nutritious, allergen-friendly food easily accessible to everyone. You can find their products in almost every major grocery store and most of them come with a gluten-free certification which means you don’t have to worry about cross contamination during processing.
Bob’s Organic Whole Grain Quinoa is always the highest of quality and it comes in resealable packaging for easy storage in your pantry.
How to Get Fluffy Quinoa
The most important step for getting fluffy quinoa every time is allowing it to steam towards the end of the cooking process. You simply boil until most of the water has absorbed then turn off the heat and cover with a lid for about 10 minutes. This traps the moisture so that each little piece puffs up perfectly.
Outside of cooking the quinoa, all you have to do is chop everything up and throw it in a large bowl then top with the dressing. That’s all there is to it!
I know it might sound like a weird combination but I promise you it works. It’s the perfect light and summery salad to whip up for any adventures you have on the horizon. I hope you’re able to get some fresh air soon!
Want More Quinoa Salad?
Blueberry Corn & Basil Quinoa Salad
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 pint blueberries, see notes
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen and defrosted
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup roasted almonds, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup lemon juice, from 1 large lemon
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- pinch salt
- In a medium size saucepan, bring 1½ cups water to a boil. Add the rinsed quinoa, reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until most of the water has absorbed. Turn off the heat, cover with a lid and allow to steam for an additional 10 minutes. Remove the lid, fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing by whisking together the lemon juice, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and salt. Set aside.
- Once the quinoa has cooled completely, transfer it to a large bowl along with the blueberries, corn, onion, almonds, and basil. Pour the dressing over top then toss until everything is evenly coated. Serve immediately or store in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
This post was created in partnership with a brand that I have loved for years, Bob’s Red Mill. As always, all opinions and text are entirely my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make it possible for me to bring you quality content. For more delicious recipes and a coupon for $1.00 off any product, please visit Bob’sRedMill.com.