Spinach Artichoke Quinoa Casserole
I’ve been trying my best to balance blogging amidst wedding planning and work but I think it’s obvious that I’ve fallen short over the past few weeks. I know I’ll get back to my normal routine after we say I-do, I just wanted to let y’all know what’s going on. Because I never complain about how busy I am or talk about wedding planning on here so I mean, how else would you know? ;)
I’m hoping to redeem myself with this recipe. And I’m also hoping that you’re a fan of spinach and artichoke dip? Because that’s exactly what this tastes like.
It’s creamy and cheesy with bits of tangy artichoke hearts. It almost literally melts in your mouth.
Similar to my Mediterranean Quinoa Casserole, I used plain non-fat Greek yogurt to keep it light and creamy but also incorporated enough cheese to please the pickiest of five year olds.
I also used frozen spinach and jarred artichoke hearts so that you don’t have to worry about the ingredients spoiling before you get a chance to make it.
I don’t know about you but I despise going to the grocery store more than once a week. When fresh produce doesn’t stay good for very long, it can be a challenge sometimes.
I usually plan our meals that we eat later in the week based around ingredients that won’t spoil as quickly and this recipe is perfect for that. All of the ingredients have a pretty good shelf life. And did you know that you can actually buy frozen cooked quinoa from Trader Joes now?
I personally prefer to soak my quinoa so I’ll stick to cooking my own. I thought about doing a post on that too but I was worried it might bore you to tears?
Anyhow, this casserole. If you like the combo of spinach and artichoke then I can guarantee you will love this. Trust me, it’s a winner!
3 cups quinoa, cooked (approx. 1 cup dry quinoa)
10 ounces frozen spinach, defrosted
2 cups marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup Italian blend cheese + a few tablespoons for topping
1/4 cup pepper jack cheese
2 medium size eggs
6 ounces plain non-fat Greek yogurt
salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F then prepare a large casserole dish (I used a 1 quart dish) by greasing with Earth Balance, butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- Warm the olive oil over medium heat in a sauté pan and cook the shallot and garlic for a few minutes, until fragrant.
- Using a strainer and a paper towel, press the excess water out from the defrosted spinach then add it to the pan. Add the chopped artichoke hearts (I discarded any tough parts) and a pinch of salt & pepper to the pan and cook for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the eggs, yogurt and cheese in a large bowl and whisk together until well-combined.
- Remove the spinach artichoke mixture from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes before adding to the bowl with the eggs and cheese.
- Lastly, add the cooked quinoa and stir until everything is mixed together well.
- Place the mixture into the casserole dish, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle a few tablespoons of cheese on top and cook for 30-35 minutes, until top is light golden brown. Serve warm and enjoy!
*be sure to use certified gluten-free products for gluten allergies