Vegan Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
Vegan Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies- Made in one bowl, these cookies have a delightful chewy texture with a hint of tahini flavor. No one will believe they are vegan and gluten-free!
How many cookie recipes is too many cookie recipes? Between these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, my healthy monster cookies and now this recipe, I feel like I’ve been overloading you guys with everything cookies. Sorry not sorry. ;)
These tahini cookies might just be my favorite. They are delightfully chewy and the tahini flavor is paired with just a touch of pure maple syrup and dark chocolate chips for ultimate taste-bud bliss. They do not last long in our house and I have a feeling they won’t in yours either!
Vegan Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients
- Oat Flour and Almond Flour– we’re using my favorite combination for nutrient packed, naturally gluten-free cookies. I recommend purchasing professionally milled oat flour and almond flour (not almond meal) unless you want a gritty texture. I don’t recommend any substitutions.
- Tahini- Using a quality tahini is key for best results and flavor. If yours is no-stir, make sure it is thoroughly stirred. You don’t want any chunks of hard tahini in there.
- Coconut Oil- As much as I would love to make these oil-free (mostly for simplicity purposes) the cookies would be too dry without the coconut oil. I tested them with just 2 tablespoons (and an extra tablespoon of milk) and they were still delicious but I found 3 tablespoons gave them the perfect chewy texture and crisp edges.
- Coconut Sugar- I used coconut sugar because it’s what I always keep on hand and I love the caramel-like flavor it lends to the cookies. That said, any kind of granulated sugar should work the same.
- Pure Maple Syrup- Just a touch of maple syrup helps offset the bitterness of the tahini and imparts a hint of maple flavor. While you could technically replace the syrup with an extra tablespoon of milk, I really love what it does for this recipe and recommend keeping it if possible.
- Vanilla Extract- Vanilla is always a necessity for cookies, in my opinion.
- Baking Soda and Salt- Baking soda is the leavening agent, helping the cookies to rise and spread ever so slightly. Salt is essential for playing off the sweetness in the recipe.
- Plant Milk– it might seem weird to have milk in a cookie recipe but when you don’t have eggs, you need to replace the extra moisture. The variety of milk doesn’t really matter, just make sure it is plain or vanilla.
- Dairy-free Dark Chocolate Chips- I always say 1/2 cup but end up adding a few extra to the tops prior to baking. Feel free to use the 1/2 cup as a guide and add as much as you like. :)
How to Make Vegan Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
While you only need 1 bowl to make these, I do recommend using a stand mixer or a hand mixer for best results. I’ve tried making them by hand and the dough can be difficult to work with.
- Beat together the tahini, coconut oil, coconut sugar, maple syrup and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, oat flour, baking soda and salt. Beat until a crumbly dough forms. Yes, I said crumbly. It’s totally normal, don’t worry!
- Add the milk and continue to mix until the dough comes together. Fold in chocolate chips by hand.
- Scooping out a heaping tablespoon of dough at a time, shape each ball into a round disc and arrange on the baking sheet a few inches apart. The cookies will spread but not very much so we want to give them a head start by flattening them slightly with our hands.
- Bake for about 12 minutes then set aside to cool completely. They will firm up as they cool.
- Try not to devour the entire tray in one sitting.
Please leave a comment below if you decide to try these cookies! I hope you love them as much as we do.
Want more vegan and gluten-free cookie recipes?
- Vegan Gluten-free Double Chocolate Cookies
- The Best Vegan and Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Morning Glory Breakfast Cookies
- Vegan and Gluten-free Sugar Cookies
- Healthy Vegan Monster Cookies
- Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Dreamy Vegan Snickerdoodles
Vegan Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F then line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl using a hand mixer) beat together the tahini, coconut oil, maple syrup, coconut sugar and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Next add the almond flour, oat flour, baking soda and salt. Continue to beat until a crumbly dough forms. Add the milk and continue to beat until the dough comes together in on solid piece. Lastly, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of dough and shape into round discs. You want them to be discs rather than balls as they will only spread a little when baking. Arrange on the baking sheet about 1-inch apart.
- Bake in the oven for about 12 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool completely before handling as they will firm up as they cool. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to one week, although they likely won't last that long!