Homemade Acaí Bowls
Homemade Acai Bowls are cool, refreshing and loaded with skin-glowing antioxidants! Enjoy one for breakfast or a snack on a warm summer day.
Have you ever had acaí? Similar to other dark berries, the rich purple color is attributed to its high antioxidant content which makes it a great healthy option for a summery breakfast or a snack. My favorite way to eat it is blended with frozen strawberries, frozen banana, and a little bit of coconut milk.
The smoothie portion is tasty enough on it’s own but what really makes the bowls so enjoyable for me is the toppings: hemp seeds, raw coconut, berries, bananas, and a good crunchy granola!
How to Make Thick and Creamy Acaí Bowls
- The trick for making a thick smoothie bowl is to start with just a small amount of milk and blend slowly so that the blender doesn’t get too hot.
- Stir in between blending and only add a small splash of milk, as needed.
- It takes a little bit of extra effort and patience but the end result is so worth it!
I like using a really crunchy granola because it’s softens a bit as it soaks up the acaí. So good! It really is the perfect treat to cool off with on a warm summer day.
Looking for more smoothie bowls? Check these out:
Homemade Acaí Bowls
- 1 packet frozen acai, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 medium frozen banana, sliced
- 4 tablespoons vegan protein powder, I like Nutiva Hemp Protein
- 1/4-1/2 cup dairy-free milk, I like full fat coconut milk or oat milk
- To a high-speed blender, add frozen acai, frozen strawberries, frozen banana, protein powder, and dairy-free milk (starting with 1/4 cup and adding more as needed). Blend slowly and use a smoothie wand (or something similar that's blender safe) to scrape down the sides as you blend. Only add as much liquid as necessary- you don't want it to get soupy. It's important to be patient and blend slowly for a thick and creamy texture.
- Transfer to a bowl for serving and finish with desired toppings. Serve immediately and enjoy!
This looks so summery and delicious! I’ve actually never had acai, so I guess I should probably get on that.
It’s been full-on summer weather here for the last month. High of 91 degrees today, crazy!
I’ve never had a acai bowl…but I want too! Ah!
Yum! I love smoothies with toppings because I love the crunch and texture! This looks delicious!
I’ve been craving healthy food and as a result, I’ve been stalking those fitness instagrams and blogs that have picture after delicious picture of smoothie bowls on them. This acai bowl looks heavenly and basically just hit the spot :)
You know I am LOVING this post! Acai bowls and I are BFFs :)
I think I defeat the purpose of healthy when I pile on granola and nut butters to my acai bowls…
I’m probably one of the few people who’ve never had acai, but you’ve definitely given me even more motivation to give it a try. I have a -feeling- I’ve seen acai packets at the health food store, so I think I’ll pick some up the next time I’m in there and give them a go. Also… toppings are LIFE <3
What a beautiful recipe, Sarah! I’ve always wanted to try an acai bowl, and now I have the perfect recipe to do so! Thank you for sharing :)
These bowls are such a good idea! I’ve just started working from home so I’ve been making smoothies a few times per week. But an acai bowls are on a different level.. so good! Definitely trying this recipe this week!
EEK! I got SO excited when I saw the title of these! I had an acai bowl for the first time in Santa Barbara last week and fell in love. Kansas City has virtually no places to get them, so I’m absolutely making this!!
It has been so hot here lately! I was kinda hoping the cold weather would stay around all summer, but unfortunately that isn’t the case! And, I really can’t believe it is already June, crazy how time flies! I don’t think I’ve ever had acai before, and I’m embarrassed to admit that I’ve never had a smoothie bowl either! I need to try both soon :)
I agree that it’s all about the toppings! This bowl looks fabulous.
Pingback: Link Love -
Australia really is lagging on the smoothie and acai train- It has JUST become a “thing” there but here? Everywhere has them! I need to try one first and this looks like a great starting point- Yum!
YUM YUM YUM!! This looks amazing!! I need to try Acai bowls!! Can you believe that I’ve never actually had one :O I must though!! I’ve heard they are amazing!! :)
This looks amazing! Any idea how you would make this if, for instance, you had access to a lot of acai in different forms but not so much the frozen packets?
I love blending in avocado with mine— it makes them so creamy!
Would you believe I’ve never had an acai bowl before??? Clearly that needs to change because this looks DELICIOUS!
I LOVE açaí bowls, and I’m all about the toppings too! I often make açaí bowls at home that have a very similar simple ingredient list to this recipe… Great minds think alike! ;-)
I so wish I had one of these instead of my sorry piece of toast this morning! lol They look so refreshing – perfect for the crazy heat we’ve been having!
I love Açaí bowls!!
Pingback: 23 idées de petit-déjeuner faciles et saines, prêtes en moins de 30 minutes - Vivre Healthy