Grilled Summer Vegetable Tacos
Grilled Summer Vegetable Tacos- summer’s best veggies grilled and served with seasons black beans. Topped with a creamy cilantro sauce and just 30 minutes to make! (vegan + GF option)
I feel like tacos are one of the easiest foods to make plant-based yet there are still so many restaurants that seem to struggle with it. All you need are beans, vegetables, and a good sauce for topping. That’s it! It’s not that complicated.
Making tacos at home is pretty darn easy though so I can’t complain too much. This version uses a few grilled summer vegetables from the farmers market paired with seasoned black beans and a creamy cilantro sauce. Super simple yet so tasty.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Seasonal Vegetables- Technically you could make these any time of year with whatever vegetables are in season. For the sake of summertime produce, I like to grill up some zucchini, corn, peppers, and onion then serve the tacos with diced avocado and tomato.
- Black Beans and Seasonings- Simmering black beans with a few key seasonings like ground cumin, chili powder, oregano and smoked paprika adds a pop of flavor to the delicious grilled veggies.
- Yogurt, Fresh Cilantro and Lime Juice- Blending these together creates a creamy cilantro sauce that brings everything together. Feel free to squeeze some fresh lime juice over everything at the end if you’re like me and you love the fresh flavor of lime. :)
How to Make Summer Vegetable Tacos
With just a few simple steps, you can throw these tacos together in just 30 minutes!
- Grill (or roast) the veggies. I just got an electric Weber grill and I love it! No need to fuss with charcoal or propane and it leaves beautiful grill marks so you can barely tell the difference.
- Prep the cilantro sauce by blending the ingredients together until smooth.
- Simmer black beans with seasonings such as cumin, chili powder, oregano and smoked paprika.
- Layer vegetables and beans inside of your favorite tortillas. Top with diced tomato, avocado and cilantro sauce.
- Stuff in your face!
These tacos are perfect for a quick and easy weeknight summer meal. There’s minimal dishes required and you don’t even have to turn the oven on. That’s what I like to call winning.
Looking for more easy summer meal?
- White Bean Lettuce Wraps
- Grilled Vegetable Hummus Bowls
- Grilled Portobello Mushroom Fajitas
- One-Pot Tomato Basil Quinoa with Cashew ‘Ricotta’
- Tomato Corn Orzo
Grilled Summer Vegetable Tacos
For the Tacos
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, or prefered cooking oil
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced in half
- 1 bell pepper, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 anaheim or jalapeno pepper, cored and roughly chopped
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 corn on the cob
- 1 15-ounce can black beans,
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt to taste
- 6 tortillas, warmed in a skillet, GF if desired
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
For the Creamy Cilantro Sauce
- 1 cup non-dairy yogurt, I like Kite Hill plain unsweetened
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, plus more for serving (if desired)
- salt to taste
- Preheat the grill to medium-high setting. If roasting, preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat the vegetables then place on grill facing down. Rotate corn every few minutes and flip everything else half way through. Cooking time will vary depending on your grill but shouldn't take longer than 15 minutes. If roasting you will need to chop the vegetables and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the black beans by combining them in a saucepan (with their liquid) along with the tomato paste and spices. Simmer on medium-low until most of the liquid has cooked off. Salt to taste then set aside, covered to retain heat.
- Prep the cilantro cream sauce by combining the yogurt, lime juice and cilantro in a small blender. Blend until smooth. Add salt to taste.
- Once vegetables are done cooking, remove from the grill. Carefully chop them into bite-size pieces and remove the corn from the cob.
- Layer black beans, grilled vegetables, diced tomato and avocado in each tortilla. Top with cilantro sauce and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Serve warm and enjoy!
This looks great. totally doing taco thursday tonight :D
For those of you that cilantro tastes like soap, I’ve found that for me if cooked the cilantro no longer tastes soapy. So I’d sauté the cilantro a bit w/olive oil before blending. :-)
These were super easy, bursting with summer vegetables flavor and went together in a flash! Cooking the beans with tomato paste and spices gave them a deep, rich flavor. We are not cilantro fans so that was omitted but I’ll try what I read in a previous comment and cook it first next time. My daughter slipped the tortilla and turned it into a taco bowl. We all loved this recipe and will definitely make it again:)
Yum, I love tacos and I love grilled veggies! The perfect healthy summer dinner :)
This was delicious! I made a few small tweaks. I used leftover grilled veggies since we made too many- peppers, Onions, radicchio, zucchini and yellow squash. I added the jalapeño to the beans to make them spicy. The cilantro sauce was half Greek yogurt, half sour cream and I added a touch of agave. Lastly, I grilled flour tortillas. So delicious and filling especially for a non-plant-based family. Thank you!