Roasted Broccoli and Chickpea Lemon Pasta
Roasted Broccoli and Chickpea Lemon Pasta- all you need is 7 ingredients and 30 minutes to make this healthy plant-based meal that’s bursting with flavor!
Mmmm mmmm, have I got a tasty one for you today! I just finished eating a bowl for lunch and could hardly wait to share it. It’s a simple recipe but sometimes those are the best, aren’t they?
So y’all know how much I love roasted chickpeas. Whether it’s veggie fajitas or a summer salad, they’re such an easy way to add a dose of healthy protein to any meal. I decided to roast them alongside broccoli before adding them to pasta with garlicky olive oil, lemon juice and lemon zest. Then I topped all of that off goodness off with dairy-free parmesan and schazaam!
A light, flavorful, and satisfying pasta dish was born.
Roasted Broccoli and Chickpea Lemon Pasta Ingredients
- Chickpeas- Using canned or precooked chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) helps save a lot of time. My favorite brands are Jovial or Eden Organic since their preparation and storage methods help aid proper digestion.
- Broccoli- The recipe calls for about 4 cups of chopped broccoli florets. The weight will vary depending on how large the stalk of your broccoli is or whether you purchase it precut. I usually buy two medium-size bunches (as you can see in the picture below) to yield 4 cups.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil– We’ll need three tablespoons of olive oil total. One to coat the chickpeas and broccoli before roasting and two to infuse with garlic in the skillet.
- Lemon Juice and Zest- Once we have our garlicky olive oil, we’ll add fresh lemon juice and zest for a kick of bright citrus flavor. I really love lemon so I’ll use two for this recipe. If you’re unsure, start with one lemon then serve with a few wedges on the side and add more if you desire.
- Pasta- Almost any kind of pasta works well with this recipe but I personally prefer the shorter varieties such as penne, elbows, or fusilli. I recommend using whole grain for maximum protein and fiber benefits. This is my favorite gluten-free brand.
- Vegan Parmesan- You can use store-bought parmesan (I like Follow Your Heart or Violife) or you can make your own using a food processor or small blender like the NutriBullet. Simply combine 1/2 cup raw cashews with 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, and 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt then pulse to a fine crumb.
How to Make Roasted Broccoli and Chickpea Lemon Pasta
- First you roast the broccoli and chickpeas in the oven for abut 15 minutes.
- While that’s cooking you prepare the pasta as directed on the stovetop. Drain and set aside.
- Then you warm the oil in a large skillet and sauté the garlic.
- Add the roasted chickpeas and broccoli to the skillet and toss it with the garlic oil. Then squeeze in fresh lemon juice and zest, sprinkle with salt + pepper and parmesan, and serve!
Brandon and I both enjoy a strong lemon flavor so I used two lemons but if you prefer it lighter, you can try it with one and then add more if needed.
It’s incredibly easy and comes together in less than 30 minutes so it would be perfect for a weeknight meal. I even doubled the recipe so that we would have plenty of leftovers to enjoy for lunch during the week. Can you tell I’m a little obsessed?
Roasted Broccoli and Chickpea Lemon Pasta
- 4 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lemon, or two if you prefer extra lemon flavor
- 8 ounces pasta, I used whole grain elbows
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan, see notes
- Preheat the oven to 400°F then line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Pat dry the rinsed chickpeas with a towel or papertowel then transfer them and the broccoli to the baking sheet. Toss (or spray) with 1 tablespoon oil and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until broccoli is golden brown on the edges. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, warm the remaining olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant then reduce heat to low setting.
- Drain the pasta then add to the skillet with the oil and garlic. Add the roasted broccoli and chickpeas then squeeze in the juice and zest of 1 lemon. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Serve warm with parmesan and enjoy!