Healthy Zucchini Corn Fritters
Healthy Zucchini Corn Fritters- all you need is 8 simple ingredients to make these summery zucchini fritters! (vegan + gluten-free)
I try my best to eat a variety of foods but when summertime rolls around, it’s all about the corn.
Okay, for now we’ll stick to the basics because I know you guys like to keep things simple and so do I. These zucchini corn fritters are about as easy as it gets. I used to overcomplicate things by using eggs to make them which would result in a mushy texture that needed lots of breadcrumbs and flour to compensate. Then I realized that if you leave the eggs out and use chickpea flour as a binder, all problems are solved.
Not only is the ingredient list for these fritters super short but with chickpea flour costing less than $3 a bag, they’re also easy on the bank account. That’s what I like to call a win.
To make them all you need is one bowl and a skillet. You combine the shredded zucchini with the corn, chopped green onion, minced garlic, chickpea flour, and seasonings. Then as you wait for the skillet to heat, the flour absorbs all of the excess moisture from the zucchini creating a thick batter that forms perfect little golden fritters.
For extra protein and flavor I like to serve them with my favorite salsa, sliced avocado and black beans. I also happened to have some nacho cashew cream in the refrigerator when I shot these photos so that’s what is drizzled on top. It takes the fritters from yummy to WOW.
If you have a high speed blender or a NutriBullet, I highly recommend whipping some of the nacho cashew cream up and storing it in the fridge. I’ve been using it in place of cheese on top of my one-pot recipes (like this One-Skillet Mexican Casserole) and it adds a creamy texture and savory flavor that will make you be like, cheese who? For real. You have to try it.
Please let me know if you get a chance to make these fritters! I know y’all are going to love them. Cheers to corn!
Healthy Zucchini Corn Fritters
- 4 cups shredded zucchini, about 4 medium-size zucchini
- 1½ cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen and defrosted (about 8 ounces)
- ¾ cup chopped green onions, about 6 green onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1¼ cup chickpea flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt & pepper
- high heat oil
- nacho cashew cream, for serving
- black beans, salsa and avocado, for serving
- In a large bowl, combine shredded zucchini, corn, green onions, chickpea flour, garlic, cumin, oregano, thyme, salt & pepper. Stir together until well combined. Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes. This step is important because the flour will absorb the moisture from the zucchini and create a batter.
- Warm a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Grease with preferred cooking oil then scoop out 1/4 cup of the zucchini mixture at a time into the skillet. Cook for about 3-5 minutes on each side, until light golden brown. Serve warm with black beans, salsa, nacho cashew cream and/or avocado then enjoy!