Gluten-free Cranberry Orange Scones
Gluten-free Cranberry Orange Scones- made with fresh cranberries and fragrant orange zest, these naturally sweetened vegan scones are bursting with flavor!
If you haven’t tried baking with fresh cranberries yet, now is the time! The tart flavor is pure magic baked into sweet goodies, especially when they’re paired with bright citrus notes of orange.
After scarfing these muffins (which are equally addicting) I knew I had to develop a scone recipe using similar ingredients. To keep them vegan and gluten-free I opted for Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free 1-to-1 Baking Flour.
What I love about this flour is that you don’t have to worry about buying a bunch of ingredients to create your own mix. This one comes already blended with just the right amount of gluten-free flours, starches and xanthan gum so that you don’t have to stress about substituting wheat flour in your favorite recipes.
A few more key ingredients + Tips
- Almond Flour- In addition to 1-to-1 baking flour, I added just enough almond flour to give the scones a delicious buttery flavor with a delicate crumb.
- Fresh Cranberries- I know I will probably get some questions about substitutions for these but if you can find fresh cranberries I HIGHLY recommend sticking with them. They add moisture and an alluring tart flavor that’s to-die-for. Using a food processor to finely chop them creates the best texture.
- Orange Zest- Bright orange zest helps the cranberries shine. Such a beautiful winter pairing.
- Pure Maple Syrup- I opted for maple syrup to keep these refined sugar free. If you want to sub it out you’ll need to adjust the liquid ratios to make up for the lack of moisture. I haven’t tested them that way so I can’t give specific recommendations without making them myself.
- Coconut Oil- It is VERY IMPORTANT that your coconut oil be firm. If it is too soft or warm then it won’t work into the flour properly. I recommend refrigerating it if your home is on the warm side.
- Non-Dairy Milk- Any kind of plant milk will work.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- Vinegar helps replace the need for eggs by working with the baking powder/soda to help everything rise. You could replace it with white vinegar or lemon juice if you don’t have ACV on hand.
Want more Cranberry Orange Recipes?
- Gluten-free Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Cranberry Orange and Pecan Granola
- Grain-free Cranberry Orange Breakfast Cookies
- Cranberry Orange Thumbprint Cookies
Gluten-free Cranberry Orange Scones
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup solidified coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh cranberries
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, from 1 large orange
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- To a food processor, add the cranberries and pulse until finely chopped. Measure out 1/2 cup and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine gluten-free flour, almond flour, baking powder, and sea salt. Whisk together then set aside. In a measuring cup, combine the milk and apple cider vinegar. Add the vanilla and maple syrup then stir to combine.
- Using a pastry cutter, work the solid pieces of coconut oil into the dry ingredients until it resembles breadcrumbs. To the bowl, add the chopped cranberries and orange zest then pour in the wet ingredients. Fold together until a dough forms. If the dough seems too wet or difficult to handle, try refrigerating it for 15 minutes to firm up.
- Lightly dust the parchment paper with flour to help prevent dough from sticking to the surface. Transfer it to the parchment paper and gently shape into a one-inch thick circle, about 8 inches in diameter. Using a pizza cutter or dry knife, cut dough into eight slices. Separate each slice so that there is 1-2 inches between them. Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on the edges. Allow to cool for 10–15 minutes then serve and enjoy!
This post was created in partnership with a brand that I have used and loved for years, Bob’s Red Mill. As always, all opinions and text are entirely my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make it possible for me to bring you quality content. For more delicious recipes and a coupon for $1.00 off any product, please visit Bob’sRedMill.com.