Vegan Creamed Corn
Vegan Creamed Corn- made with just 5 ingredients, this dairy-free version of creamed corn is way better than the canned version and super easy to make!
Creamed corn was something I enjoyed relatively often in my childhood years, even though it was always the kind that comes from a can. I mean, it’s basically just partially blended corn with starches and a good amount of cane sugar. What kid wouldn’t love that?
Sadly most brands of canned corn these days are genetically modified which doesn’t appeal to me because:
- It’s not environmentally friendly; and
- I’m not interested in being a guinea pig to determine the long term effects of glyphosate.
On the flip side, most homemade recipes include heavy cream, cream cheese, butter and/or parmesan which doesn’t really suit my dairy-free lifestyle. So that pretty much leaves me with one option: make my own vegan version at home. :)
Vegan Creamed Corn Ingredients
The beauty of making your own creamed corn is that you don’t need a ton of ingredients!
- Fresh or Frozen Corn Kernels– Depending on the time of year, fresh corn can be a pain to fine but luckily frozen corn works just fine for this recipe. Because corn is one of the most common genetically modified crops, I always look for organic or non-GMO labels.
- Coconut Milk- Full fat coconut milk gives the creamed corn a nice, rich texture. That said, you can substitute whatever plant milk you like, just make sure it isn’t vanilla flavored.
- Corn Starch– Starch is necessary to help thicken the coconut milk, creating a creamy base for the corn. Again, I always try to buy organic corn starch.
- Vegan Butter– Because corn without butter is a crying shame, in my opinion. I love Miyoko’s because it’s cultured like traditional dairy butter but Earth Balance or a similar brand will do.
- Salt– Just a hint of salt balances everything out. You can add as much or a little as your taste buds prefer.
How to Make Vegan Creamed Corn
- Combine the corn and coconut milk (minus 1/2 cup that we’ll reserve to whisk with the starch) in a saucepan and bring to a low boil.
- In a separate bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the remaining coconut milk and corn starch, until smooth. Pour it into the pot. Add the butter.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes, until the liquid starts to thicken. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Transfer 1/2 cup of the corn mixture to a blender or food processor and pulse a few times until a chunky texture is achieved. Pour it back into the saucepan and stir to combine. Serve warm and enjoy!
Whether you like to have creamed corn on your holiday table or simply as an everyday side item, this vegan version is sure to please!
Looking for more holiday side items?
- Shredded Brussels Sprout and Kale Salad
- Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Crumble
- Roasted Maple Dijon Delicata Squash
- Roasted Sweet Potato Kale and Farro Salad
- Easy Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Simple Green Beans with Olive Oil and Shallots
Vegan Creamed Corn
- 20 ounces frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 13.5 ounce can coconut milk, reserve 1/2 cup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine the corn, remaining coconut milk (after reserving 1/2 cup), and salt. Bring to a low simmer.
- Whisk together reserved coconut milk with cornstarch until smooth. Pour into the pot and cook over medium heat until the mixture is thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Stir in butter until melted.
- Transfer 1/2 cup of the mixture to a blender or food processor and pulse a few times. We're looking for a chunky texture, not perfectly smooth. Pour back into the pot with the corn kernels and stir to combine. Taste to see if you prefer to add more salt. Serve warm and enjoy!