Peanut Sauce Tempeh Lettuce Wraps
Peanut Sauce Tempeh Lettuce Wraps- crumbled tempeh is sautéed in savory peanut sauce and served in crisp lettuce wraps for a light and refreshing plant-based meal.
Now that we have a bangin’ peanut sauce recipe, let’s talk about how to put it to good use!
One of my all-time favorite ways to serve it in these refreshing lettuce wraps. The peanut sauce coats the crumbled tempeh and caramelizes as it cooks, resulting in savory tempeh bits that are beaming with flavor. Mixed with a few crisp vegetables for texture, it makes for a perfect summer meal.
How to Make Peanut Sauce Tempeh Lettuce Wraps
Once you have your peanut sauce prepped and ready to go, these lettuce wraps come together in a flash!
- First we lightly sauté the crumbled tempeh in a bit of sesame oil the cover to let it steam for a few minutes. This opens the pores of the tempeh so that it will absorb every bit of that peanut flavored goodness.
- Next we pour in the peanut sauce and stir as we cook the tempeh. The sauce will begin to caramelize and form a golden crust. Mmm…
- Lastly, we serve the tempeh warm wrapped in lettuce leaves and topped with fresh vegetables for color and texture. Top with a bit more peanut sauce and they’re officially ready to stuff in your face.
If you’ve tried tempeh in the past and didn’t like it, I urge you to give it another go with these wraps! The crumbled texture paired with the delicious peanut sauce is enough to make you forget you are eating tempeh. But you still get the health benefits, of course. :)
Looking for more delicious ways to eat tempeh? Check these out:
- Balsamic Dijon Tempeh Buddha Bowls
- Smoky Maple Tempeh Hash with Brussels Sprouts
- Easy Tempeh Bacon Bits
- Sheet Pan Cabbage and Tempeh with Mustard Tahini Vinaigrette
- BBQ Tempeh Sandwiches with Tangy Apple Slaw
Peanut Sauce Lettuce Wraps
- 8 ounces tempeh, unflavored
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup peanut sauce
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 small purple cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 10 lettuce wraps
- In a large skillet, warm sesame oil over medium heat. Crumble tempeh into skillet. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes, until light golden brown on edges. Cover with a lid and allow to steam for 3 more minutes.
- To the skillet, pour in the peanut sauce. Stir until tempeh is evenly coated while continuing to cook over medium heat. Serve tempeh warm in lettuce wraps with shredded veggies and onions.
Thanks Jillienne! I actually baked it but I wouldn’t say it was crispy. It was very firm but to get it really crispy I think baking it then sautéing would help but that adds more work, unfortunately!
These lettuce wraps I could eat and eat and eat!
They lok so yummy! Love the colors! By the way – lovely pictures too!
I love peanut sauce and I love this recipe! It sounds like a perfect light summery meal! I’ve actually never bought or cooked with tempeh before. Where in the store can you find it?
It’s usually in the refrigerated faux meat section. Most stores keep it near the produce. You should give it a try, just make sure to slather it with lots of sauce- I don’t think it would be very good plain!
Mmm those look awesome! I do like peanut sauce, but I’ve never made it myself!
I love lettuce wraps and I’m always looking for new recipes for them…this sounds wonderful!
Your site a while back finally made me want to try tempeh, and I love it! I made lettuce wraps the other day, and I still love the idea of using lettuce as your wrap! And peanut sauce? Amazing!
These look absolutely wonderful!
I love peanut sauce, and tempeh too. I definitely don’t use it enough though.
My. Husband. Would. Love. This.
I absolutely love peanut sauce! Do you eat Thai food a lot? This reminds me of an appetizer I had the other day. Seriously one of my favorite foods I can eat all the time!
I usually buy the same brand that makes Tofurky, although I’m not sure what the actual brand is. You should be able to find it in the faux meat section at Safeway or definitely at Whole Foods.
Yum! I love peanut sauce! I still haven’t tried tempeh yet but I have seen so many recipes with it that sound amazing. This might be the recipe that finally gets me to try the tempeh.
Try it! Tempeh is fabulous! :)
Every single thing about these sounds SO perfect. Ahh, tempeh..gotta love it :).
Pingback: How to include more vegetables in your diet – Pt 2 – Mains | to her core
Oooh yum, I love peanut sauce and I love lettuce wraps! Will definitely be making these soon.
These look so perfect and fresh for a light summer dinner! Can’t wait to try them!
I’m so glad you reminded me of this recipe, Sara! They’re not only gorgeous, but that Peanut sauce has me all heart eyes! Love the simplicity of these flavorful wraps!
Pingback: Easy Peanut Tempeh - Making Thyme for Health
Pingback: The Best Gluten Free Lunch Ideas For Home or The Office
Delicious and so easy!! Can’t wait to make this again.
Pingback: 10 Tempeh Recipes to Try Now | yogawithpaul
Pingback: How To: Cook with Tempeh | A Case For Plant Based