Creamy Butternut Squash and Sausage Soup
Creamy Butternut Squash and Sausage Soup- made in one-pot with wholesome veggies and meatless protein-packed sausage, this soup is satisfying and full of flavor. (vegan + grain-free)
Soup season has arrived! If you loved my Butternut Squash and Wild Rice Stew then you’re definitely going to want to try this soup.
It has the same creamy texture and a similar flavor but the protein count is a bit higher since we’re replacing chickpeas and wild rice with plant-based sausage. It’s also a bit soupier because well, it’s a soup and not a stew. ;)
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Onion, Celery and Carrot- The base of any good soup starts with a mirepoix. A simple combination that creates a rich flavor base.
- Garlic-Minced garlic is a must for me any virtually every savory recipe but if you’re opposed for some reason then feel free to leave it out.
- Butternut Squash- I feel like butternut is the way to go with this soup, however, you could substitute sweet potato if you’re alright with the extra sweetness and additional cooking time.
- Kale- Although kale doesn’t do too much for the flavor, it does add a ton of nutrients. Dino kale has a more palatable texture but curly kale will also work. Skip if you like but I think your body will thank you if you don’t.
- Plant-Based Sausage- I don’t share a ton of recipes with faux meat but I’ve leaning into it more now that I’m focusing on increasing my protein intake. Field Roast Smoked Apple Sage works beautifully in this recipe and is usually available at most major grocery stores.
- Cashews- Blending raw cashews creates a luxurious cream that’s completely dairy-free and mostly neutral in flavor. If you’re not up for blending cashews, coconut milk would be a good alternative, however the flavor is not quite as neutral and can taste slightly sweet to some. I find that to be the case with almost every store-bought plant milk which is why I choose to make my own cashew cream.
- Thyme and Smoked Paprika- Even though the sausage is very flavorful on its own, I found fresh thyme a touch of smoked paprika really kicked up the flavor of the soup a few notches. If you don’t have fresh thyme you can use dried thyme instead.
- Vegetable Broth- I prefer to make my own broth using Better Than Bouillonbecause I find it has the best savory flavor, but any vegetable broth will work.
How to Make Creamy Butternut Squash and Sausage Soup
- Brown the sausage. Bonus: using plant-based sausage means you don’t have to wait very long for it to cook. Just a few minutes and it’s good to go. Transfer to a plate while you cook the rest of the ingredients.
- Sauté the onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent the garlic is fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the squash, seasonings and broth. Bring to a simmer then cook until the squash is fork tender, about 15-minutes.
- Blend the cashew cream. Meanwhile, strain the soaked cashews and rinse them thoroughly. Add them to a high speed blender (or NutriBullet) with a bit of water and blend until smooth.
- Stir in the kale, sausage and cashew cream. Stir and cook until kale is wilted and everything is heated through, about 5 minutes more.
- Serve and enjoy!
Want to make it heartier?
Serve with a crusty loaf of bread or stir in cooked farro. The chewy texture is delicious in this soup!
Looking for more cozy recipes?
- Dairy-free Zucchini Corn Chowder
- Vegan Peanut Butter Ramen
- Roasted Acorn Squash and Apple Soup
- The Best Lentil Soup
- Easy Vegetable Minestrone Soup
- Dairy-free Potato Soup
- Vegan White Bean Chili
Creamy Butternut Squash and Sausage Soup
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces chopped or crumbled vegan sausage, I like Field Roast Apple Sage (about 3 links)
- 1 cup finely chopped white or yellow onion
- ¾ cup finely chopped celery
- ¾ cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups diced butternut squash, or sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, or 2 teaspoons dry
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked* (see notes)
- 2 cups chopped kale
- In a large pot, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped sausage and cook until evenly browned. Remove from the pot, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pot, warm the remaining oil. Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the squash, broth, thyme and paprika. Bring to a low boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook until squash is fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the cashew cream by combining the soaked and rinsed cashews with ¾ cup water. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- To the pot, add the chopped kale, cooked sausage and cashew cream. Cook until kale is wilted and everything is heated through, about 5 minutes more. Serve warm garnished with fresh thyme and/or pepitas, and enjoy!
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. I haven't tried freezing this soup but if you do please let us know how it is reheated in the comments!
This soup is so full of flavor and absolutely delicious. I omitted the sausage because I didn’t have any on hand and I knew it would still be delicious and I was right! I did add a little farro. This soup is cozy and comforting, perfect for a chilly fall New England day and the butternut squash is recently harvested and there’s plenty at every farm stand!