Cranberry Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
Thick and chewy oatmeal cookies stuffed with dried cranberries, shredded coconut, and a touch of lemon zest. Vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free!
Happy Friday! Do you have any plans to bake this weekend?
I have two good reasons why you should:
- It makes your house smell sooooo delicious
Especially these cookies because they’re made with nutritious ingredients like whole grain oats, dried cranberries, shredded coconut, pure maple syrup, coconut oil, and fresh lemon zest.
I told you guys I was on a lemon kick. It tastes amazing with the sweet cranberries and shredded coconut in these cookies!
Brandon took one bite and then immediately responded by telling me that I was the “master” of cookies and soup, ha! Well I don’t know about all of that, but I agree that they turned out delicious. I think the soup comment was probably because I’ve been feeding him so much of it lately. What can I say? ‘Tis the season for cookies and soup! :)
It’s funny because I have yet to make a “traditional” holiday cookie this year. Gingerbread, snickerdoodles, and chocolate chip are all on the list but I know you’ve got plenty of those recipes floating around right now so I decided to change it up a little bit with cranberries and coconut. Not so traditional but the colors are still holiday themed. That counts, right?
They’re based off of one of my favorite cookie recipes on the site, these Dark Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Cookies. They have a wonderfully chewy texture and hold together surprisingly well, considering there isn’t any gluten, starches, gums, or flax.
All of the ingredients are pretty basic items that you should have in your pantry, except for maybe the applesauce. You can get away with making these without it but you would need more coconut oil and maple syrup which will make them higher in sugar and fat. So I know it’s kind of annoying to buy but it helps make them healthier!
I hope you love these as much as we do and that you all have a wonderful weekend!
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup oat flour*
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup melted unrefined coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
zest of 1 lemon (approx. 1 tablespoon)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and then line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the oat flour, oats, shredded coconut, baking powder, baking soda, salt, lemon zest, cinnamon and ginger then stir together.
- Combine the maple syrup, applesauce, vanilla extract, and melted coconut oil (add this last) and stir together. Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet, add the cranberries and the walnuts then stir everything together until a dough forms.
- Using a small scooper or your hands, scoop out approximately one large tablespoon of dough at a time and roll into a ball. Flatten each one down with your hands. They won’t spread much as they cook so however you form them now is how they will look once they’re cooked.
- Bake in the oven for 12-13 minutes, or until light golden brown on the bottom. Set aside to cool completely before eating. They will become firmer as they cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.