‘Cheesy’ Vegan Broccoli Soup
‘Cheesy’ Vegan Broccoli Soup- this simple veggie-packed soup only requires one pot and 30 minutes to make! (nut-free, grain-free + gluten-free)
Who else is super pumped for soup season?! I have to admit, when I discovered we were pregnant and due in December I was so excited for all of the delicious soups and stews that I would be able to freeze ahead of time in preparation for the baby’s arrival. They’re nourishing, cozy and reheat perfectly. Way better than trying to freeze meals for summertime, if you ask me.
One of my all-time favorite soups is broccoli cheese but dairy and I broke up about a year ago and I haven’t looked back since. It’s not always easy to find ways to replace old favorites but I enjoy the challenge. Because when a recipe works out and we like it just as much as the dairy version, I’m pretty stoked.
‘Cheesy’ Vegan Broccoli Soup Ingredients
- Onion, Garlic, and Carrot form the base of the soup with plenty of savory flavor.
- Russet Potato thickens the liquid with its starches creating a nice, creamy texture.
- Broccoli Florets offer texture and are a definite a necessity for broccoli soup.
- Tomato Paste and Oregano might seem like a weird addition but they add savory umami flavor.
- Lemon Juice provides a slight tang, similar to that of cheese.
- Vegetable Broth adds even more depth. Better Than Bouillon is my favorite.
- Nutritional Yeast is a key component for a dairy-free cheese flavor. It’s also packed full of protein and B vitamins.
- Unsweetened Plain Non-Dairy Milk offers more creamy texture. I’ve made this with all varieties of plant-based milk and have found oat milk to work the best as it has the most neutral flavor.
How to Make ‘ Cheesy’ Vegan Broccoli Soup
- Sauté the onion, carrot, and garlic for about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and oregano.
- Add the broccoli florets then pour in the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and cook just until the potato and broccoli are tender.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender (while reserving some of the florets to add later for texture, if desired). Add the plant milk and nutritional yeast then blend until smooth.
- Pour back into the pot, add the reserved florets and cook until heated through. Serve warm and enjoy!
The end result is a creamy and nutritious broccoli soup with plenty of cheesy flavor. I like to add toasted croutons and shredded vegan cheese on top for a little extra oomph (Violife makes the best vegan cheddar) but you also serve it with a crusty piece of bread and be just as happy. :)
Looking for more soupspiration? Here are some of our favorites:
- 15-Minute Tomato Soup
- Dairy-free Potato Soup
- Creamy Wild Rice Mushroom Soup
- Lemony Lentil and Greens Soup
- Roasted Acorn Squash and Apple Soup
'Cheesy' Vegan Broccoli Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegan butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots, about 3 medium carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups diced russet potato, about 2 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 8 cups chopped broccoli florets, about 4lbs including the stem
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth, see notes
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, from 1 large lemon
- 1 cup plain unsweetened non-dairy milk, oat milk is my favorite
- salt & pepper to taste
- shredded vegan cheese and/or croutons, for garnish
- In a large pot, warm olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic, carrot, and potato, then continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
- To the pot, add the oregano and tomato paste then stir to combine. Cook for a few minutes then add the chopped broccoli, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and allow to cook for about 15 minutes, just until broccoli and potato are tender. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- To a high speed blender, add the contents of the pot. If you like a chunkier texture, reserve about 1/2 of the broccoli in the pot. Add the nutritional yeast, lemon juice and non-dairy milk to the blender then blend on high until smooth.
- Pour the soup back into the pot and warm over low heat. Cook until heated through. Add salt & pepper to taste. Serve warm with shredded cheese and croutons, and enjoy!