Broccoli Cheese Baked Potatoes with Tempeh Bacon Crumbles
Broccoli Cheese Baked Potatoes with Tempeh Bacon Crumbles- made with a vegan cheese sauce, these baked potatoes are the perfect healthy comfort food! (gluten-free, grain-free)
Even though I didn’t have any specific cravings during my pregnancy I was all about the carbs. Especially in the third trimester. My appetite was out of control and I found myself daydreaming of all the carb-laden creations I could make for the blog.
These Broccoli Cheese Potatoes were one of the first to come to mind. I had some of this cheese sauce sitting in the fridge and thought, how incredible would that be drizzled on a baked potato with roasted broccoli and tempeh bacon bits?
Spoiler alert: it turned out to be one of the best ideas I’ve had to date.
How to Make Broccoli Cheese Baked Potatoes
If you’ve already got your cheese sauce made (or are using store-bought) then this recipes comes together in a jiffy! Here’s how to make them:
- Bake your potatoes for about an hour, or until soft.
- Meanwhile, prep the tempeh bacon bits in a skillet.
- Roast the broccoli for about 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Warm the cheese sauce then add the broccoli.
- Add the cheesy broccoli and tempeh bacon bits to each potato.
- Serve warm and stuff in yo face!
These could also easily be prepped in advance for a super fast weeknight meal! You can bake the potatoes, make the tempeh bacon bits, and prepare your cheese sauce in advance. Then all you have to do is roast the broccoli, reheat the other ingredients and serve.
Broccoli Cheese Baked Potatoes with Tempeh Bacon Bits
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Wash your potatoes then use a knife to poke them a few times. Wrap in foil or place directly on the oven rack and bake for about 1 hour, or until soft when squeezed with an oven mitt.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tempeh bacon bits in a large skillet as directed in the linked recipe.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and set aside. Keeping the oven at 425°F, arrange the broccoli florets on a greased baking sheet (or lined with parchment paper). Lightly coat or spray with high heat oil. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until crispy and golden on the edges.
- In a medium saucepan, warm the cheese sauce over medium heat. Stir in the roasted broccoli.
- Slice each potato down the center. Stuff the inside with the broccoli cheese sauce and top with tempeh bacon bits. Serve warm and enjoy!