15-Minute Mushroom Pasta
15-Minute Mushroom Pasta- bursting with flavor from fresh mushrooms, parmesan and lemon; you only need 6-ingredients to make this quick and easy pasta dish!
This is one of those recipes that is almost too simple to call a recipe. But sometimes those are the best recipes, right?
I love this pasta because it comes together super fast and requires minimal ingredients. It’s easy to modify to your liking and is perfect to serve on a busy weeknight when you don’t feel like preparing anything too complicated.
Mushroom Pasta Ingredients
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil- A key ingredient for any Italian recipe, I always make sure to source a quality olive oil for the best flavor.
- Sliced Mushrooms- I like to buy cremini mushroom caps and slice them myself because they taste more fresh to me than presliced mushrooms. However, it will save you time to buy them already sliced so that’s completely up to you.
- Garlic- Another key ingredient, fresh minced garlic is essential.
- Parmesan Cheese- This might seem like a sin in the Italian culture, but I use Violife’s vegan parmesan wedge to keep this recipe vegan/dairy-free. If you haven’t tried it yet, it’s pretty amazing! Paired with the starches in the reserved cooking water, it creates a creamy parmesan sauce that is to-die-for delicious.
- Lemon Juice- A squeeze of fresh lemon juice brightens the pasta and helps your body absorb the iron.
- Pasta- Speaking of iron, whole grain pasta or legume-based pastas are your best bet for getting the maximum amount of protein and iron. I love this red lentil pasta, especially because it packs 22g of protein per serving.
- Greens- adding a few handfuls of spinach or kale to the skillet before you add the parmesan would be a great way to get in some greens!
- Faux Chicken- I love serving a sliced faux chicken cutlet on top for even more plant-based protein.
- Peas- Defrosting frozen peas and stirring them in with the pasta would be an easy way to incorporate more vegetables.
Ways to make it lighter
This recipe divides 6-ounces of pasta between two servings which is a bit above the recommended serving size.
To reduced the overall calories you can reduce pasta amount to 4-ounces and/or reduce parmesan cheese to 1/4 cup. The sauce will be slightly less cheesy but still flavorful enough.
How to Prep 15-Minute Mushroom Pasta
- Cook pasta as directed. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Sauté mushrooms and garlic.
- Add parmesan and cooking water to skillet with mushrooms.
- Add pasta and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Serve warm and enjoy!
I added fresh parsley as a garnish for the photos but honestly it is just as good without if you don’t have any on hand.
Looking for more easy dinner ideas?
- Quick and Easy Chana Masala
- One-Pot Coconut Mung Bean Stew
- Vegan White Bean Chili
- 15-Minute Tomato Soup
- 30-Minute Creamy Red Pepper Pasta
- One-Pot Spanish Quinoa
- 5-Ingredient Black Bean Soup
15-Minute Mushroom Pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 16 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 6 ounces pasta, such as spaghetti; reserve ½ cup cooking water
- ½ cup grated parmesan, plus more for serving; I like Violife to make this recipe dairy-free/vegan
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta as directed. Strain pasta and reserve ½ cup of the cooking water in a measuring cup. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet or pot, warm the oil over medium-low heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until liquid starts to release, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes more, until fragrant.
- Once the pasta is cooked, add the ½ cup grated parmesan and the reserved cooking water to the skillet with the mushrooms and garlic. Stir until a creamy sauce forms.
- Add pasta to the skillet, along with lemon juice and stir to combine. Serve warm garnished with parmesan, and enjoy!