Curried Sweet Potato Chickpea Burgers
Blended with turmeric, curry, and cumin, these veggie burgers perfect to prep for quick and healthy meals! (vegan + gluten-free)
Servings: 10 burgers
For the Burgers
- 250 g peeled and chopped sweet potato (1-inch cubes) about 1 medium potato
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans drained
- 3-4 tablespoons high heat oil
- ½ cup rolled oats or flour of choice (see notes)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno cored and roughly chopped (optional)
- 1½ teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt & black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon (or lime) juice
For the Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
- ½ cup non-dairy yogurt I like Kite Hill plain unsweetened
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon (or lime) juice
- salt to taste
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Arrange the sweet potato cubes and chickpeas over top. Coat with a tablespoon of high heat oil and toss to combine. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, make the yogurt sauce by combining all of the ingredients in a small blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Taste test and add more citrus juice or salt as desired.
Using a food processor, blend the oats to a fine crumb. Add the sweet potato, chickpeas, jalapeno, cilantro, jalapeno, turmeric, cumin, curry, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Squeeze in the lemon juice then pulse until finely chopped. The mixture should hold together when pressed between your fingers. If not, blend a little longer or add a tablespoon of water to help moisten it.
Using your hands, shape ¼ cup of the mixture at a time to form patties. This should yield about 10 (3-inch) burgers.
Warm the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook a few burgers at a time until golden brown, for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
Serve warm with yogurt sauce and enjoy!
Calories: 128kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 17mg | Potassium: 203mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3648IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 1mg