Best-Ever Quinoa Chili
Made with a delicious blend of warming spices, this quinoa chili is packed full of healthy vegetables and plenty of savory flavor. (vegan + gluten-free)
Servings: 6 bowls
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed*
- 2 tablespoons high heat oil I like avocado oil
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños cored and finely chopped
- 2 bell peppers cored and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder (adds a bit of spice but is optional)
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce not spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 15-ounce cans beans I used black and pinto beans
- 1½ cups corn kernels fresh or frozen and defrosted
- desired toppings avocado, cilantro, lime juice, sour cream, shredded cheese, etc
In a medium saucepan, add the quinoa with 1 and 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a low boil and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cover with a lid and allow to steam for 10 more minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
While the quinoa is cooking, warm the oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, peppers, and garlic then cook for 3 minutes. Add the spices and continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
To the pot, pour in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the beans, corn, cooked quinoa and apple cider vinegar and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Add salt to taste, serve with desired toppings and enjoy!
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or the freezer for up to 1 month.
*I prefer to soak quinoa for several hours or up to overnight prior to cooking to make it easier to digest. To soak quinoa, add it to a bowl and cover with water by a few inches. Drain and rinse before cooking.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 289kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 656mg | Potassium: 760mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 2852IU | Vitamin C: 75mg | Calcium: 121mg | Iron: 5mg