Quick and Easy Chana Masala
Made with warming spices and creamy coconut milk, this comforting one-pot meal comes together in less than 30 minutes!
- 2 tablespoons oil avocado or coconut oil work well; sub 1/4 cup broth for oil-free option
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 jalapenos cored and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon garam masala or more, depending on your preferences
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 13.5 ounce can coconut milk full-fat, shaken well
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- basmati rice, yogurt and cilantro for serving
In a large skillet or pot, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, sprinkle with salt and cook for about 3-5 minutes, until translucent.
To the skillet, add the jalapeno, garlic, and ginger. Sprinkle the spices on top (chili powder, turmeric, coriander and masala). Stir to combine and continue to cook for about 5 minutes while stirring constantly and scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet.
Next, pour in the diced tomatoes and coconut milk. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, until liquid has reduced by about 1/3. Add the chickpeas and cook until heated through. Serve warm with rice, yogurt and cilantro (optional) and enjoy!
Calories: 552kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Sodium: 327mg | Potassium: 546mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 339IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 4mg