Simple to make and served with a delicious lemon yogurt sauce, these falafel are perfect to prep for lunches or dinner!
For the Falafel
- 1 large carrot peeled and roughly chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs regular or gluten-free
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice from 1 large lemon
- 4 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup avocado oil for cooking
For the Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- 6 ounces plain non-dairy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
In a food processor, combine the carrot, garlic and parsley. Blend on high until finely chopped. Add the chickpeas then blend again until finely chopped. The mixture should stick together when pressed between your fingers. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
To the bowl, add the cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, flour, breadcrumbs, lemon juice, and water. Stir to combine. Add more flour if mixture is too wet or more water if it's too dry. Using an ice cream scooper, scoop out about 2 tablespoons of the mixture and form into balls with your hands. Transfer to a lined baking sheet until you have formed all of the batter into balls.
Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the falafel and cook on each side until golden brown.
Combine yogurt and lemon juice in a small bowl. Serve warm falafel with yogurt sauce, and enjoy!
Calories: 240kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 371mg | Potassium: 183mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 3665IU | Vitamin C: 17.1mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 1.2mg