Vegan Lentil Shepherds Pie
A plant-based take on the comforting classic made with hearty lentils and parsnip mashed potatoes. So delicious that even meat eaters will love it!
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 30 mins
Servings: 6 people
For the Filling
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms diced
- 2 cups peeled and diced celery root about 1 medium size celeriac
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown lentils rinsed and picked over
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire vegan
- 1/2 cup dry red wine such as cabernet or merlot
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
For the Parsnip Mashed Potato Topping
- 4 cups peeled 1-inch russet potato cubes about 2 large russet potatoes
- 2 cups peeled and chopped parsnips about 4 parsnips
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter I like Miyokos
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plain non-dairy milk I like using plain coconut milk in a carton
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- chives for topping
In a large pot over medium high heat, cover the potatoes and parsnips with water by a few inches. Bring to a boil and allow to cook for 30-35 minutes, until they are tender enough to be mashed.
Meanwhile, start the filling by warming the olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, sprinkle with salt and cook for a few minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic, carrots, mushrooms, celeriac and seasonings (thyme and oregano) then cook for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms start to release their liquid.
Pour in the red wine, tomato paste, and Worcestershire then bring to a low boil. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes.
Next add the rinsed lentils along with the vegetable broth. Simmer on low, cover and cook for 30-35 minutes, until lentils are tender.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Drain the water from the potatoes and parsnips. Using a potato masher or fork, mash the potatoes and parsnips together. Add the vegan butter, milk, garlic powder, and salt & pepper to taste. Add more milk or butter, if desired for a smoother texture.
Lightly grease a pie dish or 8-inch square casserole dish then fill the bottom with the lentil mixture. Top with a layer of parsnip mashed potatoes, spreading them evenly so that they cover the lentils.
Cook in the oven for 20-30 minutes, until the potatoes are a light golden color. Allow to cool for five to ten minutes then sprinkle with chives and pepper. Serve warm and enjoy!
If you can't find celeriac feel free to substitute 3 stalks celery (finely chopped).
If you can't find parsnips or don't like them feel free to substitute an extra potato instead. You may need to add a splash of milk to help mash them.
Calories: 367kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 309mg | Potassium: 1377mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 5535IU | Vitamin C: 24.2mg | Calcium: 103mg | Iron: 4.3mg