Vegan Silk Chocolate Pie

It’s Friday and we all know what that means…

Healthy Silk Chocolate Pie {vegan and gluten-free}

It’s time for pie.

Or, at least, for me it is. I was in need of a little comfort food this week because Miss Coco is having surgery today. We’ve only had to put her under once, a few years ago so that they could do an x-ray on her leg. When we picked her up afterward, she came out into the waiting area and looked at us like she had no clue who we were and then she darted straight towards the front door.

She didn’t care where she was going or who it was with, as long as it was away from the vet’s office!

I hated seeing her like that so I know this afternoon won’t be easy, but sometimes things have to get worse before they can better. In the meantime, there’s always chocolate…

Silk Chocolate Pie

Silk Chocolate Pie

I based this pie off of a similar version that I made last year, but this time I wanted to make it more like the classic French silk.

Served in a light, flaky crust and filled with smooth chocolate that’s not too rich, topped with cold, fluffy whipped cream and bits of chocolate shavings…

Silk Chocolate Pie {vegan and gluten-free}

Pure comfort.

The ingredient list is so simple that it will probably leave you feeling slightly skeptical but all I can say is: DON’T BE.

It tastes like silky chocolately heaven and no one will ever know it’s made from things that are actually good for you.

Silk Chocolate Pie {vegan and gluten-free}

It will be our little secret.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to go eat the last piece of pie.

Silk Chocolate Pie {vegan and gluten-free}

Silk Chocolate Pie {vegan and gluten-free}

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Silk Chocolate Pie {vegan and gluten-free}

10 ounces dark chocolate chips*

1 can full fat coconut milk, chilled overnight (I use and recommend this brand for best results)

1/4 cup maple syrup

1 ripe avocado

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 prebaked pie crust**

Coconut Whipped Cream

1 can full fat coconut milk, chilled overnight

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 teaspoons maple syrup

1. Pour the chocolate chips into a medium-size saucepan and then remove one can of the coconut milk from the refrigerator. Scoop the solidified cream from the can, placing it into the sauce pan, along with 1/3 cup of the liquid. Reserve the remaining liquid in the can.
  2. Warm the saucepan over low to medium heat until the chocolate has melted. Add the maple syrup and the vanilla extract and whisk until smooth. if the chocolate seems to thick, add more of the reserved liquid from the coconut milk. Set aside to cool.
  3. Using a food processor or a blender, add the avocado flesh along with the cooled chocolate mixture and blend on high until smooth. Make sure that there aren’t any chunks of avocado left.
  4. Pour the mixture into the pie crust and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours to set.
  5. Meanwhile, make the coconut whipped cream by scooping out the solidified parts of the chilled coconut milk into a chilled bowl for beating. Beat on high with a hand mixer until smooth. Add the vanilla extract and maple syrup and beat again for about thirty seconds.
  6. After filling has chilled, spread the whipped cream on top of the pie and garnish with chocolate shavings. Serve cold and enjoy!

*use non-dairy chocolate chips for vegan version

**I prefer this crust which is gluten-free and vegan

If you don't want to make the coconut whipped cream So Delicious offers an alternative to help save time.

• Mercy June 5, 2014, 7:21 pm

whoa!!! that looks so amazing!!! not sure if I could make it turn out like yours though :) I’ll try sometime ;)

• Sarah June 6, 2014, 11:56 am

Thanks Mercy! :)
      I’m sure yours would turn out just as good!!

• Anastasiya June 5, 2014, 8:25 pm

OMG! it`s so beautiful and delicious)

• Jo from yummyvege June 5, 2014, 11:30 pm

That looks so impressive! I can’t wait try this!

• Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) June 6, 2014, 6:16 am

I hope Coco’s surgery goes well! This pie looks so delicious!

• Sarah June 6, 2014, 11:55 am

Thank you Kelli! Send my love to Ryder as well. :)

• Julia June 6, 2014, 7:20 am

Oh I hope coco’s doing well now!! I can see needing a ginormous slice of pie to comfort your emotions and calm your fears.

Have you ever been to Jason’s in King’s Beach? They serve a silk pie there that is to.die.for but I’m 200% sure you gain 50 pounds with every bite you take. I’ve been meaning to make a version of silk pie that isn’t gaahawful unhealthy, and you already done figured it out! So happy to have this recipe at my chocolate-loving disposal!

Have a great weekend, lady!
    Julia recently posted…Green Curry Sweet Potato Noodle BowlsMy Profile

• Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run June 6, 2014, 7:34 am

Looks SO good, Sarah! I just want to eat a bowl of the chocolate filling with coconut whipped cream :)

• Tiffany June 6, 2014, 8:30 am

Can I substitute something else for maple syrup? I think I’m the only person on the earth that absolutely hates maple syrup ;)

• Sarah June 6, 2014, 11:52 am

Of course! You could use honey or agave but I would probably use a little less, like 2 tablespoons. I’ve never cooked with liquid stevia but that might work as well.

• Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon June 6, 2014, 8:58 am

I love all the nutrition that you packed in here! Save me a bite of that last slice!
    Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon recently posted…A Look Back on BotswanaMy Profile

• Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps June 6, 2014, 10:11 am

Gluten free AND Vegan — you have my heart.

• Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness June 6, 2014, 10:55 am

Whew, I was a bit worried for a second there that this was going to have tofu in it… I just am not down with silken tofu in desserts.. but I love this ingredient list! The pie looks scrumptious.

Sending positive vibes to you and Miss Coco! Hope everything goes well.
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Bondi Band Headband Giveaway!My Profile

• sonia the mexigarian June 6, 2014, 10:55 am

I hope CoCo’s surgery went well and all is good with you and your little family.

This pie shall be made. Very soon.

• Chelsea @ TableForOne June 6, 2014, 11:15 am

Wow! That looks absolutely stunning. What a pie. I might just be making this tonight.
    Chelsea @ TableForOne recently posted…Banana- Strawberry Ice Cream and June’s ScheduleMy Profile

• Suzanne @ Mrs Mix It June 6, 2014, 11:46 am

Being pregnant and visiting your blog may be a bad thing….or a very good thing!!
    Suzanne @ Mrs Mix It recently posted…Why I Blog and Great Big Mommy FailMy Profile

• Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ June 7, 2014, 9:11 am

I’m speechless. I can only drool now :) Well, no… I can also write the word “perfection”!
    Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ recently posted…Skinny Egg and Avocado SaladMy Profile

• Allison June 8, 2014, 3:55 am

Well this just looks like pie perfection. Pinning this baby! I love the photos of the perfectly set chocolate pie filling on the fork -drool-worthy!!! Chocolate is a year-round obsession for me, so I’ll happily eat this 365. Creamy cool chocolate pie = summer! Yum!

And I hope the surgery went well for your little darling :)
    Allison recently posted…Buddha’s Pasta Salad (Gluten-Free, Vegan)My Profile

• Isadora @ she likes food June 8, 2014, 8:41 am

This pie looks perfect for the summertime!! I love that you used avocado in it, I need to try that! I have just discovered coconut whipped cream and have been putting it on everything, and sometimes just eating it with a spoon :) I hope that everything went well with Coco! I almost cried when I had to take my cat into get neutered, he was only 3 months old at the time and I was convinced that he thought we were taking him back to the shelter. Thankfully it didn’t take long for him to come out of it and be his crazy self again :)
    Isadora @ she likes food recently posted…Basil & Roasted Garlic Ricotta Pizza with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes, Arugula & Baslamic Reduction {gf+v}My Profile

• Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods June 8, 2014, 9:33 am

Delicious and made with good foods?! I love when you can do that. The coconut milk cream sounds delicious! Pinning!
    Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods recently posted…Lemon VinaigretteMy Profile

• Becky @ Olives n Wine June 8, 2014, 12:18 pm

Oh yum. French silk pies were my absolute favorite as a kid and I always asked for them for my birthdays. I love how easy this recipe is… AND it’s made with 100% clean ingredients.
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…Blend 2014My Profile

• Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} June 8, 2014, 2:35 pm

I hope Coco’s surgery went well! It’s too bad she can’t have some of this pie to comfort her. It looks like pure heaven! And I love that it’s made with coconut and avocado, too. Such a great alternative to heavy cream!
    Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} recently posted…Kale & White Bean Tacos with Chipotle Fruit SalsaMy Profile

• Dearna || to her core June 8, 2014, 4:58 pm

I have been thinking of this pie ever since I saw it a few days ago on Instagram, it looks divine! Avocado is so good at adding healthy creaminess to dishes isn’t it. And I love that you’ve used coconut cream on top too, it all sounds so delicious together. And I hope Coco’s surgery went okay and she wasn’t too scared or out of it when you went to pick her up – its horrible seeing our little furry friends like that isnt it!
    Dearna || to her core recently posted…5 ingredient chocolate peanut butter cupsMy Profile

• Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies June 9, 2014, 3:48 am

This pie looks soooo dreamy, and I’m not even a pie person, normally. Definitely willing to make an exception for this slice of heaven. Hope all went well with your furbaby!
    Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies recently posted…Broccoli Tikka Masala – Guest Post at Needs SaltMy Profile

• Thalia @ butter and brioche July 15, 2014, 1:54 pm

YUM. this looks so delicious – craving a slice now! love that its vegan and gluten free. thanks for sharing another awesome recipe.. definitely one i have saved to recreate in my kitchen!
    Thalia @ butter and brioche recently posted…Smoked Peanut and Pretzel Nutella CookiesMy Profile

• Susan Miller October 1, 2014, 12:40 am

Is there a reason to use full fat coconut milk instead of lighter? What will happen if I use the lighter version?

• Sarah October 1, 2014, 1:16 am

Hi Susan! The full fat milk gives it a rich, creamy texture and I can’t say what would happen if you used light. I would think that it could alter the texture some but it’s definitely worth a try!

• newbie February 7, 2015, 12:01 pm

I made this but as a mousse in individual servings. My whipped cream was fine, but the filling turned out very dense… halfway between mousse and flourless chocolate cake. Not sure why. Do you have to wait the four hours to put the topping on? Also how long should the filling cool? And to room temp or cool cool. Thanks. Sorry if you answered that and I missed it!

• Sarah February 7, 2015, 2:11 pm

It’s possible that you didn’t have enough liquid from the can of coconut milk. That is what helps to thin it out. If you happened to save the reserved liquid from the can, then you can always remelt the chocolate and add the rest to the pot.

And the filling should cool for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator before adding the topping. Otherwise it will melt the whipped cream.

• Nanette February 12, 2015, 8:49 am

Just for the record, coconuts ARE nuts! Not nut-free. You could say peanut -free.

• Sarah February 13, 2015, 7:27 am

Hi Nanette, I appreciate your comment but, just to clarify, coconuts are not typically classified the same as tree nuts or peanuts. It’s extremely rare for someone with a nut allergy to be allergic to coconut.
      Here is a link that explains it in more detail:

Thank you for your input! :)

• Michal February 12, 2015, 2:49 pm

Can you put a picture of the coconut can?

• yossi February 14, 2015, 9:04 am

hi, is there other name for the crust pie? from israel and i dont know what exactly to buy..anf what is the diameter’s pie?

• Sarah February 15, 2015, 5:35 pm

You can use any 9 inch pie crust from the freezer section at the grocery store. The brand Wholly Wholesome (usually sold at Whole Foods or health food stores) makes one that is gluten-free and vegan. I hope that helps!