Our Wedding: The Reception

reception 01

Once we finished taking our sunset portraits, we made our way back into the house for the reception. For our entrance, we chose the song Welcome to the Jungle by Guns N’ Roses, which made for a comical start to the night.

Entrance

After everyone was settled in their seats, champagne was poured and the speeches began. In total we had four and Brandon’s brother, Derek, was first up.

Reception 01

He started by cracking a few jokes at Brandon’s expense which had all of us laughing, but by the end, it became sentimental. It turned out to be a really heartfelt speech that ended in tears.

Reception 02

They are both usually very strong and poised men so it was really sweet to see them show so much emotion.

Then after that, my mom gave a beautiful speech telling me how proud she is of me and how happy it makes her, knowing that I found someone like Brandon.  Of course, I cried like a big baby.

Reception 03

Next was Brandon’s father who also gave an emotional and beautiful speech that ended in happy tears.

pop bran

Last but not least was Joel, Brandon’s best friend for almost 15 years and our roommate in college. He has seen us go through some pretty big ups and downs over the past nine years so it meant a lot to hear him congratulate us on our success and toast to the happiness of our future.

www.sunglowphotography.com

Reception 04

After the speeches, we enjoyed salads and a vegetarian dinner that included eggplant parmesan and mushroom stroganoff. I barely ate anything because of all the excitement but from what I remember, it was delicious.

Our first dance was to the acoustic version of Thank You by Chris Cornell.

www.sunglowphotography.com

I’ve always loved the Led Zepplin version of that song and Brandon is a huge Chris Cornell fan so when we found the acoustic version, we knew it was perfect for us.

www.sunglowphotography.com

Brandon danced with his mom to I Hope You Dance by Leeann Womack and I danced with my mom to In My Daughter’s Eyes by Martina McBride.

dancing

My mom and I were laughing because she told me that we were dancing to the wrong song. We’re still arguing about who’s responsible for that one (her!) but at least it made for a good laugh.

After that we cut the cake to One and Only by Adele.

www.sunglowphotography.com

Brandon made it clear that he didn’t want there to be any smashing of cake into each other’s face so we kept it neat and tidy.

cake

Then it was time to get on the dance floor and make asses of ourselves!

We made a playlist based on music selections from our guests so that there was something for everyone. I was actually a little worried that no one would dance since it was such a small wedding but we had a pretty decent turn out. Brandon’s dad is a huge Bruce Springsteen fan so he was out there as soon as he heard Bruce come on.

www.sunglowphotography.com

Our friends Stacey and Jayme are from Texas and they got up and started two-stepping at one point. Unfortunately my photographer missed that shot but he did get them laughing at us from the table.

www.sunglowphotography.com

www.sunglowphotography.com

By then, it was pretty much time to wrap things. Eventually, we made our way to the car as everyone blew bubbles for our exit.

Reception 06

It was a perfect end to the best day of my life.

All photos are courtesy of Dustin Prickett at Sunglow Photography

• Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures May 19, 2014, 2:06 am

The more posts you share, the more beautiful the pictures! I think your photographer captured some truly magical moments and I am so happy you’re sharing them on your blog! :) Naturally I would have emailed you excessively if you hadn’t! :) I feel like if I ever get married, I wouldn’t want to do the smashed cake thing either… Wouldn’t everything be all sticky? Bleh! Ha, I have been eating sugar all weekend long and looking at that cake just makes me want MORE!
    I can imagine the tears flowed during the speeches – the few weddings I’ve been lucky to attend have had me in tears at that part too. :)
    Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures recently posted…#Miami and thingsMy Profile

• Erin @ The Almond Eater May 19, 2014, 2:46 am

So beautiful Sarah. Your photographer did such a wonderful job, which is allowing you to relive your special day so vividly. Truly wonderful and I’m so happy for you and Brandon <3
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Chocolate Peanut Butter PopcornMy Profile

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables May 19, 2014, 3:31 am

That looks like so much fun!!!!! I’m sure everyone had a marvelous time :)

• Sam @ Better With Sprinkles May 19, 2014, 4:11 am

Such a beautiful wedding! Your photographer did an amazing job – the photos are so, so gorgeous.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…FLTW: Roommate Expectation vs. Reality.My Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 19, 2014, 4:26 am

Have I told you that I’m smitten with your wedding? Because it looked like absolute perfection to me <3 So many wonderful memories captured absolutely beautifully, and so much love :) Really happy for you, hun!
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. playing favourites .My Profile

• Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food May 19, 2014, 4:50 am

So gorgeous! I’m not a fan of the cake-face-smashing either, so I warned Riley what would happen if he did that to me! Looks like a perfect wedding day to me!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…Weekend recap: prepping for summerMy Profile

• Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 19, 2014, 5:14 am

So, so beautiful! You certainly had an amazing photographer! I also really love your wedding cake – it’s simple, yet so elegant!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…It’s a Liebster Kind of DayMy Profile

• Sarah @ Sweet Miles May 19, 2014, 6:14 am

I love that you kept it so intimate and personal :) If I could do my wedding over again, I’d keep it small and probably do it in a more special place! Seriously so beautiful, friend, gah, you are just gorgeous :)
    Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted…My Oatmeal: Double Chocolate Chip Oatmeal CookiesMy Profile

• Nicole @ FruitnFitness May 19, 2014, 8:50 am

Yet again, these are beautiful pictures! It sounds, and looks like it was such an amazingly beautiful wedding.
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…marvelous weekend getawayMy Profile

• Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) May 19, 2014, 9:04 am

i love your song selections! :)
    Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) recently posted…Brew Review: Widmer Brothers Upheaval IPAMy Profile

• Jordan @ The Blonde Vegan May 19, 2014, 10:01 am

Oh my gosh… this is the greatest post I’ve read all day! Amazing photos (you looked so gorgeous!!!), and absolutely love all of the song choices. Especially ‘Welcome to the Jungle’ — so fun!
    Jordan @ The Blonde Vegan recently posted…A few cool things + Greens Plus Giveaway!My Profile

• Britt@MyOwnBalance May 19, 2014, 11:31 am

Awww! I love weddings so much! You’ll remember everything from yours! It’s the best! I definitely wanted no cake smashing! I was like, “this is the most I’ve ever spent on makeup and probably the best I’ll ever look. Don’t you dare put cake all over my face!” Seriously though, your reception looks so sweet!
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Spring in New YorkMy Profile

• Laura @ Raise Your Garden May 19, 2014, 11:48 am

What is it about black and white photos that make me so sentimental? Lovely =)

• Polly @ Tasty Food Project May 19, 2014, 1:21 pm

That first picture looks so magical! I love all the trees in the background. The last picture is also beautiful! You were such a gorgeous bride!
    Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted…Coconut Shrimp Curry and Quinoa Sweet Potato BoatsMy Profile

• Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} May 19, 2014, 7:58 pm

You two are the cutest! Looks like you had pretty much THE most perfect reception. And I love your music choices – Welcome to the Jungle hehe :) Love love love!
    Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} recently posted…Sun Dried Tomato and Gorgonzola SaladMy Profile

• Raquel @ My California Roots May 20, 2014, 4:58 am

I’m so glad you split all these up into multiple posts… I’ve really loved seeing all the intimacies of your beautiful wedding. I hope to see some pictures from your honeymoon, too!
    Raquel @ My California Roots recently posted…Strawberry & Goat Cheese SherbetMy Profile

• Sharon May 20, 2014, 9:18 am

So beautiful Sarah. The sunset portrait is breathtaking. We went through a couple of summers where there was weddings galore but it’s been a few years now since we’ve been to a wedding and now I feel like I was at yours! :) Thanks so much for sharing it with us. Your impeccable taste and elegance shined through in every detail. I wish you both all the absolute best for your future together. xxoo
    Sharon recently posted…Honey Mustard Dressing – Gluten FreeMy Profile

• Ashley May 20, 2014, 9:23 am

It looks like you had such a blast!! I’ve loved seeing all these photos from your wedding : ) Hope to see some from Hawaii too!!
    Ashley recently posted…BLT Cornbread PanzanellaMy Profile

• Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness May 21, 2014, 6:36 pm

Looks like such a magical day!!

I absolutely love that you guys did all vegetarian dinners. I was so tempted to do that but everyone made me feel like meat was necessary…looking back I wish I did an entire veg cocktail hour & dinner! Maybe I’ll renew my vows at some point and have a take 2 to do that :)
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…My New HomeMy Profile

• Kelly @ Femme Fitale July 2, 2014, 3:34 pm

Ahhh, Sarah! Just going through all of your wedding stuff now (finally…I’m seriously the grandma of blog reading). I just wanted to say how beautiful you looked. I loved your dress/hair/everything so much!! Very, very happy for you. It was all so perfect. x