White Bean, Kale & Tomato Quesadillas

White Bean, Kale & Tomato Quesadillas

Are you guys ready for the weekend or what? I sure am.

We had a sweltering hot week and Brandon wouldn’t stop complaining so I had to take off my cheap-pants and turn on the AC. The good news is that it’s supposed to cool down tomorrow so I’m looking forward turning the AC off and hanging outside at some point with some wine. Because time with nature + wine = happiness.

In the meantime I have a fast, easy, healthy, and tasty recipe for you to throw on the meal plan. You like all of those things, yes? Me too.

It doesn’t get much easier than a couple of ques-o-dill-ahs, especially when you’re using canned beans {BPA-free, of course} and store-bought tortillas.

White Bean, Kale & Tomato Quesadillas

I know, I really need to get on the soaking-dried-beans-train and I will, I promise, but I forgot this time…and every other time that I’ve made anything with beans.

Speaking of beans, to make these all you have to do is slap some on top of a tortilla and mash ‘em with a fork…

White Bean, Kale & Tomato Quesadillas

Then top them with a mater and some seasonings, as well as some sautéed kale and cheese…

White Bean, Kale & Tomato Quesadillas

Slap another tortilla on top, throw it in a pan, give it a flippity-flop and lunch/dinner is served.

Now you can grab a seat on the patio with a cold glass of wine and your favorite person to share a quesadilla with. Have a great weekend, friends!

White Bean, Kale & Tomato Quesadillas

White Bean, Kale & Tomato Quesadillas

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Yield: 2-4

White Bean, Kale & Tomato Quesadillas

Ingredients

1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed

1 bunch curly kale, destemmed and chopped

1 roma tomato, diced (I removed the seeds)

1 garlic clove, minced

1 shallot, diced

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon dried herbs (I used oregano & parsley)

salt & pepper to taste

1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese or vegan cheese

4 large whole grain or gluten-free tortilla wraps

Instructions

1. In a large skillet, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and shallot then sauté for a few minutes. Then add the kale and stir. Cover the skillet with a lid and allow the kale to cook down for about 5 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, grab two separate tortillas and divide half of the beans on top each one. Use a fork to mash them until they are spread across the tortilla. Then add the tomato, salt & pepper and dried herbs.
  3. Once the kale has wilted, remove it from the skillet and divide it between each tortilla by placing it on top of the mashed beans and tomato. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top and then cover with another tortilla.
  4. Carefully transfer the tortilla to the skillet (I gently slide it from the plate to the pan) and cook over low to medium heat for about 5 minutes. Then slide the quesadilla back onto the plate and use your hand to grab the cool side (the opposite of the side you cooked) and flip it upside down. Place it back into the pan and cook for another 5 minutes. At this point, the cheese should be melted and holding the tortillas together. Continue to cook until tortillas are at desired crispiness then transfer to a plate. Use a pizza cutter or a knife to cut into 4 pieces, then serve.

White Bean, Kale & Tomato Quesadillas

• Sharon May 16, 2014, 4:04 am

“and every other time I’ve made anything with beans” –> So true! I’ve been saying I’m getting on the soaking bean train since I started my blog. It’s been over a year now. Too funny. These quesadillas look super easy *and* delicious. Can’t go wrong with that! Have a great weekend!! :)
    Sharon recently posted…Roasted Garlic & Rosemary OilMy Profile

• Julia May 16, 2014, 4:20 am

I love this white bean trick you’ve got going on!! What delicious and healthful quesos! I’m amazed at how gorgeous the weather has been too. Summer’s all around us, time for ‘dillas and margs!
    Julia recently posted…Kale Breakfast BowlsMy Profile

• Ashley May 16, 2014, 4:28 am

I love meals like this for this time of the year! It’s been wayyy too hot here lately (90 degrees! eek!) but it’s supposed to cool down a bit this weekend and I plan to be outside as much as possible – quick dinners are a must! : ) Happy weekend friend!
    Ashley recently posted…Crispy Baked Asparagus with Honey Sriracha Dipping SauceMy Profile

• Mercy May 16, 2014, 5:11 am

looks awesome :) very simple, yet tasty!

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 16, 2014, 5:16 am

I am honestly somewhat obsessed with white beans, so this sounds amazing to me!
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…Barbecue Black Bean and Pineapple Pizza for One (Vegan)My Profile

• Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) May 16, 2014, 6:16 am

I’ve really enjoyed the heat this week. I’m kind of thankful we don’t have AC or David definitely would have turned it on, and I’m such a frugal lady I would have argued about it. haha. I will definitely be enjoying a glass of wine in the backyard w/ some friends on Saturday evening, but not too much bc I have my first 10k on Sunday morning!

This quesadilla is the healthiest yummiest looking dilla!
    Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) recently posted…Brew Review: Widmer Brothers Upheaval IPAMy Profile

• Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 16, 2014, 6:37 am

Quesadillas are the best! This looks like a wonderful version and I love the added white beans for some protein!

The weather here has been icky lately! Lots and lots of rain!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…8 Things I’ve Learned About MyselfMy Profile

• Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} May 16, 2014, 6:39 am

You are outdoing yourself with all the posts this week! I need to hop on the ques-o-dill-ah train ASAP – I’m thinking this weekend!
    Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} recently posted…Comment on Kitchen Confessions III by DadMy Profile

• Isadora @ she likes food May 16, 2014, 6:54 am

I am so ready for the weekend! Except it has also been hot here and it is supposed to be even hotter this weekend, possibly hitting 100 degrees! I hope to be enjoying my weekend wine inside with some AC! We eat a ton of quesadillas in our house and I love the flavors in this one. Also, a great tip of smashing the beans, I can’t tell you how many times I have flipped my quesadilla over and all the beans fall out!
    Isadora @ she likes food recently posted…Shredded Kale Salad with Red Lentils, Roasted Potatoes & Pickled RadishesMy Profile

• Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run May 16, 2014, 7:25 am

I’m not a huge quesadilla fan, but this looks right up my alley — greens with not too much cheese.

Hmmm… I guess I should be more careful about buying only BPA-free canned goods?

• Erin @ The Almond Eater May 16, 2014, 7:41 am

This is too easy not to make! Plus I haven’t had a quesadilla in forevrrrrr. And yes, nice weather+nature+wine=bliss. Enjoy your weekend!
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Friday Favorites 5/16/14My Profile

• Eyecandypopper May 16, 2014, 8:05 am

This looks so simple, but so delicious and healthy! I will have to remember this next time I’m wondering what to make for dinner!
    And thanks so much for dropping by my blog. Yours looks amazing! I will be snooping through it now :)
    Eyecandypopper recently posted…Food Revolution Day 2014My Profile

• Anna May 16, 2014, 8:08 am

I love a recipe that is both super easy and healthy, and this one sounds like it’s both of those things plus delicious. Love the picture you painted (wine, patio, favorite person), and I want to do that right now!
    Anna recently posted…Thinking Out Loud {5/15/14}My Profile

• Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl May 16, 2014, 9:42 am

Perfect kale loving recipe here, just pinned this to pick some kale from the garden and enjoy!

• Sarah @ Sweet Miles May 16, 2014, 10:39 am

YUM!! I love just about every quesadilla I can get my hands on, but this one looks healthy and delicious! Good job!
    Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted…A Little Bit of PrettyMy Profile

• Katie @glutes and ladders May 16, 2014, 1:36 pm

Wow, this looks so simple and delicious! Thanks for sharing :)
    Katie @glutes and ladders recently posted…The Best Thing I AteMy Profile

• MelissaD May 16, 2014, 2:06 pm

Yum!! Those look delicious!! Simple but super tasty – perfect after a long week along with a glass/bottle of wine :-)

• tahnycooks May 17, 2014, 4:05 am

Well well…this just help me decide what I am going to have for lunch! Loving this recipe!!
    tahnycooks recently posted…Creme Brûlée Filled Croissant DonutsMy Profile

• ATasteOfMadness May 17, 2014, 6:18 pm

These quesadillas look great!! I haven’t made quesadillas in FOREVER, I really need to get on it!
    ATasteOfMadness recently posted…Pretzel and Chocolate Chip CookiesMy Profile

• Katherine May 18, 2014, 4:19 am

I love kale in my smoothies, but I rarely venture outside the smoothie realm with it. This recipe, however, looks like something worth trying! I absolutely love white beans, tomatoes, and kale separately, so I don’t think it’s possible to go wrong with them together!
    Katherine recently posted…Why Bananas Are The Best Fruit Ever. (Don’t Even Try To Argue This!)My Profile

• Raquel @ My California Roots May 18, 2014, 8:14 am

I totally made this in panini form the other day… great minds think alike! I love the quesadilla idea though. Tortillas are often times better than bread in my book.
    Raquel @ My California Roots recently posted…Garden Update – May 17, 2014My Profile

• dishing up the dirt May 18, 2014, 8:03 pm

These quesadillas sound amazing! Can’t wait to give ‘em a whirl!
    dishing up the dirt recently posted…Garlic, Cashew & Parsnip SoupMy Profile

• Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods May 19, 2014, 5:01 pm

Yum, these quesadillas look delicious! I love the white bean and kale combo, plus I love Rudi’s tortillas. Healthy and Yummy! Thanks!
    Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods recently posted…Mexican Quinoa BowlMy Profile

• Allison @ Clean Wellness May 20, 2014, 1:14 pm

These look fantastic! I’m always amazed at how delicious quesadillas are because they’re so simple! I’d probably enjoy them equally as well cold. Yum! I need some of this in my life soon!
    Allison @ Clean Wellness recently posted…Rhubarb Rose Water Crisp (Gluten-Free, Vegan)My Profile