Roasted Chickpea Fajitas with Cilantro Cashew Crema

Roasted Chickpea Fajitas

Can you tell I’ve been craving flavors from south of the border lately? Enchilada Casserole, Quinoa Fritters with Black Bean Salsa, and Southwestern Hoppin’ John. That and I’ve been eating Chipotle like it’s going out of style. I’ve actually had it twice in the past 3 days…

It doesn’t matter how long the line is when I walk in either. You best believe Ima stand there and wait for my burrito bowl.

Roasted Chickpea Fajitas

I love that place. To me, it’s one of the best options for healthy fast food and I like that they have plenty of veg friendly choices. {Speaking of, one of my coworkers sent me this article on Friday and I about died. The one about having to listen to the specials cracked me up! So true.}

Anyway, as obsessed as I am with those burrito bowls, eating out all of the time can do a number on the bank account. True, it depends on where you eat, but you usually get what you pay for, if you catch my drift.

Roasted Chickpea Fajitas

I personally try not to eat out more than once or twice a week but that doesn’t mean I have time to slave in the kitchen every other day. I need something that requires minimal time with maximum payoff, like these fajitas.

They’re actually so easy to make that you could put them together faster than you could drive to Chipotle and wait in line. Plus, you get four servings.

Are you convinced yet?

Roasted Chickpea Fajitas

Okay, so it’s hard to compete with Chipotle. But these are pretty dang tasty. Take 30 minutes to prep them on the weekend and you have yourself almost an entire week of lunches. Which leaves Friday for Chipotle! Whoop whoop!

Seriously, how many times can I say Chipotle in one post?! Jeez.

Honestly, I was really tempted to put cheese on these but I decided to get fancy {vegan style} and made a cilantro cashew crema instead. It was delicious and also surprisingly easy to make.

Cilantro Cashew Crema

Minus picking off the cilantro leaves. I absolutely have to have music playing in the background while I do that or I will lose my mind. Please tell me I’m not alone in this?

Don’t worry if you don’t have time to make the crema, the fajitas are plenty flavorful on their own. I prefer mine with some crunchy lettuce and creamy avocado but you could also add salsa or even cheese. Whatever makes your taste buds happy. :)

Roasted Chickpea Fajitas

Roasted Chickpea Fajitas with Cilantro Cashew Crema

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 4 large wraps

Roasted Chickpea Fajitas with Cilantro Cashew Crema

Ingredients

1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (or other bean of choice), drained and rinsed

2 bell peppers, cored and slivered

1 yellow onion, slivered

3 tablespoons olive oil

3 tablespoons fajita seasoning (about one packet)

4 tortilla wraps

lettuce/avocado/salsa for topping

Cilantro Cashew Crema

1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water and 1/2 teaspoon salt for at least 6 hours

1 cup cilantro

juice of 2 small limes (about 4 tablespoons)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon cayenne

Instructions

1. Start by preheating the oven to 400°F.
  2. Place sliced veggies and rinsed chickpeas into a large baking dish and coat with olive oil and fajita seasoning. Roast in the oven for 25 minutes.
  3. If you decide to make the crema, you can prepare it while the veggies are roasting. Add 1 cup of the soaked cashews to a food processor along with 1/2 cup of the soaking water. Process on high until a smooth sauce is formed.
  4. Add the lime juice, cilantro, and remaining seasoning, then blend on high until smooth. If the sauce isn’t thin enough, add a little soaking water at a time until desired consistency is reached.
  5. Top wraps with lettuce or avocado along with cooked veggies and chickpeas. Drizzle with cilantro cashew crema then serve.

Notes

Cilantro Cashew Crema adapted from Healthy Happy Life

Roasted Chickpea Fajitas

• Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog January 21, 2014, 11:10 am

Chipotle is one of the best options for healthy fast food for me too. I love trying to recreate the flavors with recipes at home. This recipe sounds like it does just that.
    Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog recently posted…Beer, Cheese & WorkoutsMy Profile

• Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ January 21, 2014, 11:13 am

The Cilantro Cashew Crema looks fantastic, I have never had something similar. Mostly because I do not own a food processor (I do not buy bulky items until I settle down). I fear it won’t work with my blender! Gotta try though, I’m so curious :)
    Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ recently posted…A very special Gluten-Free Loaf: All Seed and Nut BreadMy Profile

• Jordan Lynn // Life Between Lattes January 21, 2014, 11:14 am

Chipotle is awesome, but roasted chickpeas and cilantro creme sound like pretty solid competition! Looks >> seriously << delicious.

• FitBritt@MyOwnBalance January 21, 2014, 11:23 am

This looks amazing! I would love to try making the crema. I used to always get Chipotle but I ended up getting sick of it. I decided that the homemade stuff (like your version) was better for my taste buds!
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Jumpstart January: Jumpstart Your MotivationMy Profile

• Alexis @ Hummusapien January 21, 2014, 11:30 am

I’ve been totally in love with cashew cream lately, sweet or savory! I bet it adds the most perfect creaminess to these lovely fajitas!

• Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) January 21, 2014, 11:31 am

I bet this is WAY better than Chipotle. I think I’m like the only girl in the whole world that is not a fan of Chipotle. Both times I’ve had it I was totally unimpressed. It was more money than my beloved taqueria and the chips were ridiculously salty like hurt my mouth salty! Yuck! I just can’t do it.
    Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) recently posted…Stuffed Pepper SoupMy Profile

• Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat January 21, 2014, 11:39 am

That homemade crema sounds outstanding! I could probably just eat that by the spoonful. Yum! I love Chipotle, but I don’t have one close by to me, so I don’t go often, which is probably a good thing because it would get awfully expensive. I like the idea of making my own, and I’m sure this dish is way tastier than a chain restaurant version.
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…Winter Vegetable QuinoaMy Profile

• Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run January 21, 2014, 11:45 am

mmm, the cilantro cashew crema sounds like it be great on anything Mexican — tacos!
    Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run recently posted…KIND Nuts & Spices | GIVEAWAYMy Profile

• Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon January 21, 2014, 11:49 am

I agree 100% with your Chipotle love story- the tofu option isn’t even bad, but I get the fajita veggies with guac in a bowl every time. Thanks for a wonderful alternative!
    Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon recently posted…Spanish Romesco Pita PizzaMy Profile

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven January 21, 2014, 11:50 am

Your SEO on chipotle for this post may beat out their website lol

Truth-be-told I don’t have chipotle very often. Mostly because it’s not as good in Canada! Plus thanks to you I can just make it at home right?
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…What Does “Fit” Mean To You?My Profile

• Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 21, 2014, 12:21 pm

Everytime someone mentions Chipotle I get a little sad because we don’t have any around here :-( I haven’t had it since I was in Minneapolis in September, and oh goodness, I miss it. Might have to whip these fajitas up to temporarily squash that longing ;-)
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Wine and Food Show 2014.My Profile

• Christine@ Apple of My Eye January 21, 2014, 12:51 pm

These look divine! I’ve also been on a pretty big Chipotle kick and have my order there down to pat ;). Best “take-out” food ever! Love how simple and fresh this looks!

And beautiful photography like always :D

• Christine @ Gotta Eat Green January 21, 2014, 12:58 pm

I’ve actually never been to Chipotle (in Canada or in the US). I keep hearing that I should try it in the US first because it is so much better but then I’d be stuck with the Canadian one, so maybe I’ll just go with that first. Haha.

These look great, Sarah. LOVE that you roasted the chickpeas! They are so good roasted!
    Christine @ Gotta Eat Green recently posted…Easy Smoked Tofu CasseroleMy Profile

• Kammie @ Sensual Appeal January 21, 2014, 1:05 pm

Drooling at the sight of these gorgeous photos… Lovin’ these!
    Kammie @ Sensual Appeal recently posted…The Ultimate Guide to Surviving Your First 3-Day Juice CleanseMy Profile

• Ashley January 21, 2014, 1:05 pm

These fajitas sound so good but that cilantro cashew crema sounds awesome! And I love that little jug thing you have it it – makes me want it even more haha Oh food props and serving dishes I love you : ) We’ve been trying to really really cut back on eating out so I can use all the new dinner ideas I can get!
    Ashley recently posted…Baked Honey Chipotle Chicken WingsMy Profile

• Consuelo @ Honey & Figs January 21, 2014, 2:19 pm

These fajitas look absolutey amazing! Spicy food is my favorite, and the chickpeas addition is such a cool one! I love that it’s so quick to make, it’d make such a winderful weeknight dinner, I’m sure.
    Have a lovely week Sarah! xx
    Consuelo @ Honey & Figs recently posted…{Makeover Mondays} 5 Ingredient No-Bake Twix BarsMy Profile

• Erin @ The Almond Eater January 21, 2014, 2:55 pm

….thaaaat’s because chipotle is the best flavor! Period. I love cilantro. I love chickpeas. I love peppers. I love cashews sooo basically this is perfect.
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Fit Tip Tuesday #1My Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 21, 2014, 3:24 pm

Chipotle seriously needs to get its act together and come to Canada already. I haven’t had it since I was at HLS in September, and that’s about 4 months too long. Your recipe definitely looks like it could hold me over, though. Now if only I wasn’t allergic to cashews :(
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. flourless chocolate chip almond butter muffins .My Profile

• Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries January 21, 2014, 3:26 pm

I never would have thought to make fajitas out of chickpeas, but this recipe looks delish! Thanks for the inspiration pretty lady!
    Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries recently posted…LA Marathon Training Schedule & Nadia Ruiz 100+ Time MarathonerMy Profile

• Katie @ Blonde Ambition January 21, 2014, 4:06 pm

Umm, I want to go for a swim in that crema! It sounds (and looks) so good. This is definitely the kind of weeknight meal I make all the time!

And for the record, you can never say the word Chipotle too many times for me :)
    Katie @ Blonde Ambition recently posted…Weekend in PhotosMy Profile

• Nicole @ FruitnFitness January 21, 2014, 4:20 pm

As much as I like chipotle, this sounds better! The cashew cream sauce sounds so different, in a I’m sure it’s really good kind of way! I’m not a vegetarian so I typically make my fajitas and tacos with chicken, but I like the idea of using chick peas. I typically think of black beans to add to Mexican inspired dishes, I’ll have to try chick peas next time.
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…MIMM – ugly foodsMy Profile

• Kelly @ Femme Fitale January 21, 2014, 4:45 pm

I would have never thought to include chickpeas in a fajita! Genius, and such a great protein alternative.
    I’ve never eaten at a Chipotle. I think Canada is just starting to get them, and Australia probably never will. I keep seeing many people writing about it in their blog posts, so it must be a great spot. Add it to my “must go to in the States” list, along with Trader Joes and Whole Foods :)
    Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted…My Paleo Week: A ReflectionMy Profile

• Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food January 21, 2014, 5:24 pm

These look so good! I don’t have a Chiptole that close by, but I love Moe’s since it’s right by my work so I can walk there. Soooo dangerous.
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…Make-ahead salads and the anti-snow danceMy Profile

• Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair January 21, 2014, 8:09 pm

I LOVE Chipotle so I feel like I would be a big fan of this recipe. I’m a lucky Canadian who lives in Toronto and has access to a handful of Chipotles. Your recipe looks so tasty. Also, your photos are beautiful. Perfect lighting!
    Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair recently posted…Pistachio Pesto PastaMy Profile

• Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness January 21, 2014, 8:50 pm

Roasted chickpeas are one of my favorite snacks, so I’m sure that I’d be a fan of these fajitas! I’m with you on Chipotle – them and Panera are pretty much the only fast foodish places I’ll go to. My hubby and I have a habit of always stopping at Chipotle for some quick, yummy grub on our way home from trips/the airport.
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Breakfast for Dinner & Oatmeal Almond Protein PancakesMy Profile

• Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie January 22, 2014, 4:04 am

I think Chipotle needs to sponsor you after this recipe! I love that you pair ingredients together that I would never think about using along side each other.
    Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie recently posted…The Sisterhood AwardMy Profile

• Kim @ BusyBod January 22, 2014, 5:40 am

Oh my gosh I saw the same buzzfeed and was dying all the way through. So true, story of my life. Since south of the border foods are my favorite, I’m loving the trend lately :) thanks for sharing!
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Chef in the making & not so pretty eats {WIAW}My Profile

• Melissa @ nourishbymelissa.com January 22, 2014, 6:43 am

My gosh your blog is beautiful! I am glad I’ve come across it! This recipe looks delicious, can’t wait to give it a try! xx
    Melissa @ nourishbymelissa.com recently posted…Nourish your Body with Glowing Green JuiceMy Profile

• Sarah January 22, 2014, 10:38 am

Aw, you’re too sweet!! Thank you! :)

• Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} January 22, 2014, 9:44 am

Girl these photos are gorgeous!! Such pretty light, and that little pitcher? I waaaant it.
    Can you believe I had my first Chipotle burrito bowl last month? It was on a day that my mom and I were in the car all day driving all around Massachusetts, and I have to say, a big bowl of veggies, rice and beans really hit the spot. Add salsa to anything and I’m happy, so I can’t wait to see what your fancy-pants crema does for the taste buds! Oh and the cilantro? A few stems ain’t never hurt no one :)
    Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} recently posted…Cauliflower Coconut MasalaMy Profile

• Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps January 22, 2014, 11:04 am

Gahh these look so good! If this is health food, I’m on board 100%. So digging it. Gorgeous photos too! :)

• Tara January 22, 2014, 3:08 pm

Are you sure you want to move? You have great lighting at your house! I am on a chickpea kick so these sound so perfect, as always.

PS: I had Chipotle after reading your post yesterday. Thanks a lot, Sarah. ;)
    Tara recently posted…The Second Best Day Of My LifeMy Profile

• Sarah January 22, 2014, 9:11 pm

That was actually one of the things that gave me anxiety about moving! It’s taken me so long to figure out the right time for the best light, haha.

And I’m always happy to inspire a stop at Chipotle. ;)

• Sarah January 23, 2014, 7:57 pm

Quick, easy, and tasty. I made this w/o the Crema but I can’t wait to try it next time. Thanks for posting!

• Julia January 29, 2014, 6:58 pm

Hey girly, I’m about to make these! They look delicious and I’m psyched for the cilantro cashew sauce! One thing – your recipe doesn’t say how much cilantro to use. I looked at the site you adapted the sauce from and it saws 2 cups cilantro to 2 cups cashews…so I assume about 1 cup of cilantro to go along with the 1 cup of cashews? Can’t wait to try these!
    Julia recently posted…Vegetable Stir Fry with Coconut-Tahini SauceMy Profile

• Sarah January 29, 2014, 8:32 pm

Ahh, I have been so bad about leaving things out in my recipes! Sorry about that. Yes, it was one cup cilantro. I hope you like them! :)