Roasted Butternut Squash Enchilada Casserole

Roasted Butternut Squash Enchilada Casserole

I hope y’all aren’t squashed out yet because I have some butternutty deliciousness for you today!

Food for Life {one of my favorite brands} offered to send me a few packages of their new gluten-free Exotic Black Rice tortillas and I thought they would be perfect for an enchilada casserole.

Food for Life Black Rice Tortillas

Like most Food for Life products, the black rice tortillas are made from wholesome and nutritious ingredients that are easy to recognize. Initially I wasn’t familiar with black rice but I learned that the dark purple color is primarily due to it’s high anthocyanin content which is the same antioxidant found in blueberries, blackberries, dark cherries and acai. Pretty cool, huh?

In addition, they’re vegan and gluten-free so they make an excellent alternative for those with dietary restrictions. I was really excited to try them out and thought they were fantastic in this casserole.

I’m sure most of you know how to roast a butternut squash but I thought I’d do a quick little tutorial for those who might be new to this bulbous, intimidating vegetable.

How to Roast Butternut Squash

To start, wash the squash under hot running water and then towel it dry. Using a vegetable peeler, peel off the skin all the way around.

Slice off the top stem and the base at the bottom then slice it in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh and seeds.

How to Roast Butternut Squash

Once both sides are cleaned out, turn over so that the flat side is down. Cut each half into 1/2 inch slices lengthwise then turn the knife perpendicular to those slices and cut into 1/2 inch pieces horizontally. After the entire squash is diced, place into a roasting dish and coat with olive oil.

For this recipe, I also roasted sliced onion, a poblano pepper and two jalapenos at 400°F for about 40 minutes.

Roasted Butternut Squash Enchilada Casserole

Instead of traditional enchilada sauce {which isn’t usually vegetarian}, I used one of my favorite salsas from Trader Joes, but you could use salsa or enchilada sauce depending on your preferences.

Roasted Butternut Squash Enchilada Casserole

This isn’t the fastest recipe out there but the end result is so worth it. The black beans fill you up and the peppers and salsa give it a hint of spice to please your taste buds.

Then there’s the warm tortillas and the melted cheese…

Roasted Butternut Squash Enchilada Casserole

Ugh, so good. Trust me, the smell of this casserole will have everyone running to the kitchen! Coco was all up in my business.

Roasted Butternut Squash Enchilada Casserole

2 jalapenos, cored and sliced

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon cumin powder

salt & pepper

1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed

1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves (optional)

2 cups salsa

6 large tortillas; quartered

1 and 1/2 cups shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese*

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
  2. Place the diced butternut squash, sliced onion, jalapeno and poblano pepper in a 9 x 13” baking dish and toss with the olive oil. Sprinkle with cumin and salt & pepper (to taste) then mix until evenly distributed. Roast vegetables in the oven for about 40 to 45 minutes, until the squash is tender. Remove from oven then lower temperature to 350°F.
  3. Transfer vegetables to a large bowl along with 1 cup salsa, drained and rinsed black beans and chopped cilantro. Using the same baking dish that you roasted the veggies in, prepare the casserole by spreading 1/3 cup of the salsa along the bottom, then cover with a layer of two tortillas. Top the tortillas with 1/3 of the roasted vegetable mixture then 1/2 cup cheese.
  4. Layer two more tortillas on top of the vegetables followed by the 1 cup of baby spinach leaves. Top with 1/3 cup of the salsa and another 1/3 of the roasted vegetables then 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
  5. Lastly, layer two more tortillas, the last 1/3 cup salsa and the last 1/3 vegetables on top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
  6. Allow to cool for five minutes then cut into squares and serve. Garnish with avocado or plain Greek yogurt.

Notes

*vegans can use vegan cheese substitute such as Daiya

Roasted Butternut Squash Enchilada Casserole

• hillary | nutrition nut on the run January 12, 2014, 8:11 pm

yummy!! i love butternut squash!!

• hillary | nutrition nut on the run January 12, 2014, 8:13 pm

Karl the fog??

P.S. What do you do at the hospital? Just curious.

• Sarah January 12, 2014, 8:52 pm

That’s what San Franciscans call the fog. Not sure where it came from…

I do ultrasound at the hospital. :)

• Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) January 12, 2014, 8:52 pm

This looks so delicious. I’d totally devour it.

I wish it would have kept raining on Sunday! We need more…!!
    Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) recently posted…Pork Tenderloin with Date Cilantro RelishMy Profile

• Sharon January 12, 2014, 9:00 pm

Sarah! This looks ah-mazing. I think I have all of the ingredients except for the wraps, which I can pick up on my grocery run tomorrow. So looking forward to trying this out! Have a great week and don’t forget to breathe ;)
    Sharon recently posted…Turkey Vegetable Soup with Brown Rice Pasta – Gluten FreeMy Profile

• Carly @ Snack Therapy January 12, 2014, 9:17 pm

I spent the weekend in sunny, beautiful Los Angeles. 70 degrees and blue skies all weekend long!

This recipe is perfect — I love the lack of meat because meat = $$ and college student = no money and therefore college student = no meat. Or something. Anyway, I love recipes that use beans as the protein, because (a) beans are delicious and (b) beans are cheap. Awesome.
    Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted…Sunday LinksMy Profile

• Kelly @ Femme Fitale January 12, 2014, 10:48 pm

You realize my “to make” list is getting rather extensive due to your blog!!! ;)
    Making this next week, even if it’s 100˚ outside!!!
    Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted…This Is It: Appreciating Each MomentMy Profile

• Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ January 13, 2014, 2:35 am

Wow, these black rice tortilla looks great! Never seen them before, I really hope I can find them here in London.

• Ashley January 13, 2014, 3:42 am

Oh I am so trying this soon. Comfort food with tons of veggies – it looks amazing Sarah!! Although I hate cutting a butternut squash – it’s the one food that I usually cheat with and buy the pre-cut kind. haha We barely got outside this weekend … boooo. There were all these tornado warnings on Saturday so that was definitely a stay inside kind of day!
    Ashley recently posted…Crockpot Vegetarian Chili with FarroMy Profile

• Elise @ 9toFit.com January 13, 2014, 4:29 am

Looks great, I love how colorful it is! lol
    Elise @ 9toFit.com recently posted…Core Power {Giveaway}My Profile

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven January 13, 2014, 4:38 am

I made butternut squash and beef (we’ll ignore the meat part) enchiladas this weekend!!! Except I wasn’t smart enough to make them into a casserole which would have saved me an immense amount of time! I really need to find those BR tortillas in Toronto because the ones I used were kind of meh.

I also buy the pre-cut kind..Unless I’m looking to dual my cooking session with a workout!
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…Weekend Recap 01/10-01/12My Profile

• Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 13, 2014, 5:38 am

This looks awesome! After that crazy cold snap last week, I’m all about casseroles right now. And you just can’t go wrong with butternut squash ;-)
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…MIMM: Requirements for a Perfect Weekend.My Profile

• Julia January 13, 2014, 5:43 am

Ahhhhh these are insane!! I think I just died and went to heaven! I’m a fan of all things enchilada and this casserole dish looks so comforting yet healthful!
    Julia recently posted…Buttermilk Spoonbread (guest post)My Profile

• Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat January 13, 2014, 6:43 am

Well…you’ve combined three of my favorite things into one…butternut squash, enchiladas and casseroles!!! :-) This look amazing!!!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…The Starfish StoryMy Profile

• Christine @ Gotta Eat Green January 13, 2014, 6:47 am

This is comfort food at its finest. I’ve never had these wraps before but they look great. GF wraps are using pretty tough to use (they always fall apart) but these sound perfect in a casserole! Clever!
    Christine @ Gotta Eat Green recently posted…Tofu Scramble (for two)My Profile

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 13, 2014, 7:22 am

I cannot wait to try those tortillas!! I hope my Whole Foods gets them soon!
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…Slow-Cooker Spicy “Sausage” and Bean ChiliMy Profile

• Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies January 13, 2014, 8:26 am

I’m a sucker for mexican food. And cheese. So, especially cheesy mexican food. I’ve never used salsa in place of enchilada sauce before, but I LOVE that idea, too!
    Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies recently posted…Mexican Cabbage Soup (Guest Post at The Roasted Root)My Profile

• Jordan Lynn // Life Between Lattes January 13, 2014, 8:29 am

This looks like the kind of meal I could feed my father, and he wouldn’t complain about the lack of meat, which is a big deal. :) Looks >> really << good!

• Diana @sosmallsostrong January 13, 2014, 8:58 am

This looks beautiful. I don’t know if it’s physically possible to be squashed out yet!! It’s so delicious. I don’t make enough casseroles so this one looks like what I’ll start with. I’m never sure what to use wraps for other than the obvious!!

Thanks for keeping the butternut squash spirit alive! :)

• FitBritt@MyOwnBalance January 13, 2014, 10:18 am

This looks so incredible! I would make this in a heartbeat! It was actually freakishly “warm” here for January over the weekend!
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…White Sand and Turquoise Water in the WhitsundaysMy Profile

• Becky @ Olives n Wine January 13, 2014, 10:48 am

This is totally a recipe that Kyle would refer to as a “Becky recipe.” Haha! I love all things Mexican and squash-related ;) And I giggled when I read that Coco was all up in your business – Mitchell would do the same thing!
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal MuffinsMy Profile

• Alexis @ Hummusapien January 13, 2014, 11:24 am

Ohhhh lordy, how fab is this?! I absolutely LOVE Food for Life. They’re cinnamon raisin bread with almond butter is pretty much my fave thing on the planet. I could so get down with this casserole!

• Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries January 13, 2014, 12:06 pm

This looks so good! I am excited to test out this recipe on my husband.
    Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries recently posted…Get Figgy With It Energy BallsMy Profile

• Anna January 13, 2014, 12:15 pm

I love Food for Life products too! Ever since I discovered them, I don’t buy any other kind of bread.

Thanks so much for the butternut squash tutorial! This is really useful for me because I love it (at restaurants) but have always been intimidated by it when it comes to bringing one home. This recipe looks fantastic, and now that I actually know what to do with butternut squash, I’ll definitely be trying it out!
    Anna recently posted…Checking Out: ChicagoMy Profile

• Ashlee@HisnHers January 13, 2014, 12:24 pm

Thank you so much for this idea! I’ve been wanting to make bnut squash and bean enchiladas for quite some time, but I hate the whole rolling process. YUM.

• Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} January 13, 2014, 12:29 pm

Mmmmm this is just what’s needed on a cold and cloudy Monday. I don’t make things like this nearly often enough, because it seems like such a time commitment… but I have a feeling it would be such a big hit, it’d be worth it! So much melty cheesy goodness :)
    Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} recently posted…Carrot ButterMy Profile

• Jan @ Sprouts n Squats January 13, 2014, 1:12 pm

I’ve used butternut squash before but you made cutting it up seem a lot easier than how I do it so must try your way out ;)

This recipe looks yum as do those tortillas. I’ve had wild rice before but not black rice but I think it is somewhat similar.

Happy new year, it may be late but better late than never! I hope you have been well ;)
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…Let’s talk turkey…My Profile

• Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food January 13, 2014, 1:49 pm

Oh my gosh, this looks so good! I think of all the blogs I follow, your recipes are some of my favorites (and some of the few I actually get around to trying!). I’m with you on the weather thing, too. I definitely hurts a lot less to be stuck at work when the weather is crappy!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…Low-key weekend highlightsMy Profile

• Sarah January 13, 2014, 8:12 pm

That was such a sweet thing to say! Thanks Kelly. :)

• Alex Caspero MA,RD (@delishknowledge) January 13, 2014, 2:05 pm

This looks so delicious! Besides the roasted vegetable part, pretty easy to come together as well. I’ve made enchilada casseroles before but look forward to trying it with the blue tortillas, I need to find those!
    Alex Caspero MA,RD (@delishknowledge) recently posted…Winter Kale Salad with Preserved Lemons & PersimmonsMy Profile

• Tracey @ Cooking with Love January 13, 2014, 2:27 pm

This looks super delicious! I love going several days without reading your posts and then coming back to a pile of yumminess!! :-)

• Sarah January 13, 2014, 8:12 pm

You’re too kind Tracey! :)

• dishing up the dirt January 13, 2014, 2:47 pm

Sarah, next time you make this will you please overnight me some :) Everything I love in one dish. Perfection!
    dishing up the dirt recently posted…Fennel, Leek, Pear Soup With Blue Cheese CrostiniMy Profile

• Paige@FitNotFad January 13, 2014, 7:54 pm

Mmmmm this looks so good and I feel like I can smell it through the screen! I really kind of hate beans though…do you think it will still be just as good with everything but the beans? Or do you have a substitute idea?
    Paige@FitNotFad recently posted…Protein Pancakes with Strawberry “Syrup”My Profile

• Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness January 13, 2014, 10:29 pm

They had called for rain down here in South Bay too…. but it never came to my area! Funny, I actually just published a post with hiking photos and said that I want it to rain soon so that all of the yellow terrain can finally turn pretty green.

Also, you beat me to this recipe! I’ve been meaning to make butternut squash enchiladas ever since fall started but I just hadn’t gotten to it. Now I’ll just follow yours when I get around to making it :)
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…My Latest Yoga PlaylistMy Profile

• Aparna B. January 14, 2014, 4:44 am

Hi Sarah!! I thought I’d drop by and give you some blog love. I LOVE your blog! I also love that you’re a vegetarian, too, so I can look through your recipes for inspirations during my weekly meals! There are some really great ones you have on here :) I am loving going through your travel section since both my husband and I adore traveling too :) I can’t wait to keep coming back and read more!
    Aparna B. recently posted…Vegetarian Lasagna SoupMy Profile

• Consuelo @ Honey & Figs January 14, 2014, 6:28 am

I just had lunch, but I’d totally have a serving of this casserole right now. It looks beyond delicious and so so cheesy! Cheesy anything is a winner hehe.
    I love that it’s packed with veggies and healthy tortillas as well (those sound fab!), what a perfect meal : )
    Consuelo @ Honey & Figs recently posted…{Makeover Mondays} Cauliflower Fried “Rice”My Profile

• nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps January 14, 2014, 8:01 am

Never get tired of squash!! I love all the colors here, so beautiful. And looks so delicious!

• Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog January 14, 2014, 11:15 am

This sounds delicious! It would definitely hit the spot if I was craving Mexican food, but a healthier option.
    Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog recently posted…Coffee Date IMy Profile

• Tara January 14, 2014, 12:09 pm

I love how vibrant your photos are! All the colors just put me in a better mood, in the most un-corny way as possible. I could so be a vegetarian if you cooked for me every night, except I might have to add hot sauce. :)
    Tara recently posted…Take Me To SenegalMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian January 14, 2014, 6:41 pm

What a great site! I’m so glad we found each others blogs. These enchiladas look perfect for dinner one night this week. I’m definitely going to check out the Food for Life tortillas! I’ve never noticed the black rice ones either. I’m so glad you highlighted them :-)
    The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted…Cheesy Polenta with Mole and Pepper RelishMy Profile

• Sarah January 14, 2014, 9:28 pm

Thanks for stopping by Susan! :)

• Elyse @ Lizzie Fit January 15, 2014, 10:39 am

I also received some black rice tortillas from FLF… and had no idea what to do with them besides make wraps and baked chips! This sounds awesome :D I definitely have to do it!
    Elyse @ Lizzie Fit recently posted…#JumpstartJanuary Detox SmoothieMy Profile

• Krystle(Baking Beauty) January 16, 2014, 7:54 pm

Oh yum this looks so delicious! I just want to dig in

• Karen @ KAMA FITNESS January 23, 2014, 6:52 am

Using the tortillas is such a creative idea! It looks delish! Makes me wanna run out and find those corn tortillas!
    Karen @ KAMA FITNESS recently posted…Fantastic Ass WorkoutMy Profile

• Katrina January 31, 2014, 8:17 pm

I made this recipe for dinner tonight (I also made the gluten free chocolate quinoa cake the other day too!) and our house smelled amazing!! This recipe is the real deal. Thank you so much for sharing it as it will now be a staple dinner in our house! Easy and DELICIOUS!!

• Sarah February 1, 2014, 12:22 pm

Thanks for letting me know, Katrina! I’m so happy you enjoyed it. :)

• Alyssa January 31, 2014, 9:14 pm

Just made this with an addition of quinoa and a little cojita cheese with the cheddar cheese. Was wonderful! Definitely a keeper!

• Kaarina October 2, 2014, 4:13 pm

Oh Em Gee…..That is amazing, made it for dinner, skipped the cheese on one side, as we have a Vegan in the Family

• Megan October 28, 2014, 9:37 am

This was SO good!!! I used a green pepper instead of a pablano pepper when I roasted the squash and also added a can of chopped green chilies to the salsa mixture and didn’t add any jalapeno peppers so that my 2 year could eat it. I will be making this again very soon. Thanks so much for the recipe!!!!

• Sarah October 28, 2014, 8:46 pm

I’m so happy you enjoyed it, Megan! I think others will find your substitutions useful too so thank you for the comment! :)

• Diann November 2, 2014, 3:44 pm

Amazing! I made it today…so worth it! I was amazed how well the squash held up! A delish meatless meal for sure! Yum!!