South Lake Tahoe: Sprouts Café + Hiking Bayview Trail

I hope you all didn’t think I was going to post about the hotel and not share anything else from our trip in Tahoe. There is just way too much natural beauty not to share a fraction of the gazillion pictures we took. Actually, I had a very hard time narrowing it down so this is going to a be a little lengthy but I promise the pictures are worth it!

We live a little more than 3 hours southwest of Tahoe so even though we stayed on the north side of the lake, we had to drive through the south side to get there. (Hello Captain Obvious!)

The views as we started to approach the lake were absolutely stunning.

tahoe 002

tahoe 004

IMG_2080

I’ve had my eye on the tempeh burger at Sprouts Café for a while so we absolutely had to stop there for lunch.

IMG_2084

They have an incredible menu and I had a hard time not ordering one of everything but I went there for one thing and one thing only. This bad boy…

IMG_2117

Ermagerd…it was freakin’ amazing. However, I had to eat it with a fork and a knife to maintain a ladylike disposition.

We also got a few delicious smoothies to go with our burgers.

IMG_2108

Coco tried her hardest to convince us to give her some too.

IMG_2105

Can you feel the pity…and the snot?

After our bellies were superbly round, we took a short stroll to a nearby beach to get our first peak at the water.

tahoe 010

They had locally made ice cream that sounded really good but eating ice cream after that enormous burger would have left us both passed out on the beach so we had to refrain.

tahoe 008

After that we took a short drive to Bayview Trail to do a little afternoon hiking.  There is an area right across from the trail that has an amazing view of Emerald Bay.

tahoe 033

Must get boat…

tahoe 045

tahoe 040

tahoe 027

Then it was off to hike on the Bayview Trail.

tahoe 049

Since we had Coco with us we had to keep it short so we opted for the hike to Cascade Falls. Almost immediately, a narrow and rocky path starts out on the side of the mountain with great views of the Lake Tahoe and the Sierras.

tahoe 059

tahoe 082

tahoe 069

At one point, I stopped to take a picture of Brandon and Coco together…

tahoe 079

Then he quietly whispered to slowly look to my right so that I could see why Coco was so perky…

tahoe 077

A chipmunk! Isn’t he cute? It’s a good thing we had Coco on a leash or she would have been tumbling down the mountain trying to catch the little guy!

As we continued along, the trail began to get extremely rocky.

tahoe 108

At ten years old, Coco still acts like a puppy but we didn’t want to risk her injuring one of her legs like she’s done in the past so Brandon started carrying her for part of the hike.

tahoe 120

Do you like her dusty butt?

We made it far enough to get a gorgeous shot of the lake but had to turn around there since it was becoming a little too much for our pup.

tahoe 115

tahoe 118

She had fun while it lasted though!

tahoe 130

We didn’t do the entire hike but what we did see was probably the best one we’ve been on yet. If you enjoy hiking and are ever in Tahoe, I highly recommend checking it out.

Do you take your dog hiking? What’s the best hike you’ve ever been on?

• Sharon August 13, 2013, 5:19 pm

Incredible photos! This looks like a hikers paradise. Even though all the scenery shots are amazing my favourite is Coco’s sweet face/puppydog eyes at the restaurant:) I love the little grey beard! Adorable…
    Sharon recently posted…Rosemary Flax Focaccia Bread – Gluten FreeMy Profile

• Sarah August 14, 2013, 7:14 am

She does kind of steal the show, huh? :) Her grey beard gives her age away but you’d never know it by how she acts.

• Katherine August 13, 2013, 5:22 pm

You should take pictures that go on postcards! That scenery is gorgeous (and so are you in that picture :) ) I hope you are having a blast! Hiking and beautiful scenery is paradise to me!
    Katherine recently posted…Random Thoughts While Running.My Profile

• Sarah August 14, 2013, 7:13 am

You’re so sweet Katherine. Thank you! :) Tahoe really is paradise!

• Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat August 13, 2013, 5:22 pm

Oh my goodness…those views!!! These pics are seriously breathtaking! I can imagine it must have been SO amazing to see in person. We really need to get to Lake Tahoe. It looks like quite a gorgeous place!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…The Sunshine AwardMy Profile

• Pam August 13, 2013, 6:30 pm

I’ve been following you for a while and I love the Tahoe posts! We live about an hour and a half away from the North Shore and enjoy the area year round. We hiked to Shirley Lake at Squaw a year ago with our dachshund who loves to hike, but like your hike all the boulders did him in! We now hike sans doggies in that area, but it’s fun to bring them along. Great post, I have been wanting to try out Sprouts.

• Sarah August 14, 2013, 7:18 am

Thank you for saying hi, Pam! :)
      You are lucky to live so close to Tahoe! I was actually looking at the Shirley Lake hike because it was so close to Truckee but I was worried it would also be too rough on her. Good to know that was the case!
      I really loved Sprouts-hopefully you get a chance to try it one day. It’s a busy place but I thought it was worth the wait.

• Tara August 13, 2013, 6:37 pm

Sarah you take amazing pictures! I went to Tahoe last year to do Tough Mudder and stayed at my friend’s cabin in Truckee and it was the most relaxed I’ve been in a long time. Definitely a great Bay Area getaway!

PS: What a good lookin’ family you got there. :)
    Tara recently posted…The CeilingMy Profile

• Sarah August 14, 2013, 7:20 am

Thanks Tara! Tough Mudder looks like a blast- I bet it was an awesome experience, especially since it was in Tahoe.

• Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries August 13, 2013, 7:19 pm

Love all your beautiful pictures! Coco and Brandon are so cute! I have had to carry my dogs through streams during hikes. They don’t like water at all! P.S. my husband’s real name is Brandon too!
    Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries recently posted…Pesto Broccolini PaniniMy Profile

• Sarah August 14, 2013, 7:20 am

Thank Jillienne! Yay for Brandons! :)

• Nicole August 13, 2013, 8:40 pm

Looks like fun! I love hiking and go often with my pup – I think it’s the perfect way to tire her out and get a workout in at the same time! If I do a hike longer than 3 hours, she can’t hang and I have to leave her home.. but most of the time I do shorter one and love to bring her with me.
    Nicole recently posted…Do What you Can, With What You Have, Where You AreMy Profile

• Christine@ Apple of My Eye August 13, 2013, 9:23 pm

Mhmm I can’t get over how amazingly delicious and juicy your sandwich was!! I need that in my life ;). Gorgeous pics as well, nature is just so beautiful.

• Carly @ Snack Therapy August 13, 2013, 10:40 pm

Okay, first of all, that picture of Brandon holding Coco made me burst out laughing.

Second, I freaking LOVE South Lake Tahoe. It’s so gorgeous in winter, summer, and in between. Lucky for me, my parents live about 2 hours away.
    Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted…Great Success!My Profile

• Aisling @ Sunny Side Up August 14, 2013, 2:18 am

Gorgeous pics Sarah. I’ve always wanted to visit Lake Tahoe and now I want to go even more. Beautiful, wide open spaces… it’s going on my list!
    Aisling @ Sunny Side Up recently posted…I Love Farm MarketsMy Profile

• Sarah August 14, 2013, 9:11 am

Thanks Aisling! My pictures don’t do it justice- I hope you get to go one day! :)

• Taylor @ greens & chocolate August 14, 2013, 2:58 am

Looks like a gorgeous and fun day!! And that burger….holy yum!!
    Taylor @ greens & chocolate recently posted…potato, leek, and quinoa soupMy Profile

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven August 14, 2013, 3:37 am

Your pictures are stunning! I would like that tempeh burger now please ;)
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…Dairy-Free Cauliflower GratinMy Profile

• Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate August 14, 2013, 4:05 am

That looks sooo beautiful! And that burger–huge!

• Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 14, 2013, 5:06 am

Wow, those pictures are absolutely stunning! And I love the pic of Brandon carrying Coco – we’d have to carry Atticus on a hike like that too, but it would probably be a tad bit easier with him ;-)
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…WIAW: Apparently, I Like Eggs.My Profile

• Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness August 14, 2013, 5:17 am

omg emerald bay is gorgeous!! i wouldnt mind relaxing on a boat there :) and looks like such a fun hike! coco is such a trooper :) that photo of brandon holding her is hilarious. she looks so happy with that arrangement, not to be walking :) my mom has one dog that she can take on hikes, but the other dog doesnt make it 2 feet before staging a protest :)
    Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness recently posted…Usain-Lightening-BoltMy Profile

• Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food August 14, 2013, 5:21 am

Holy cow, your pics are gorgeous! I never had a strong desire to go to Lake Tahoe until now. I have a Coco too, but she’s a cat :-)
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…Fabulous Pinterest FindsMy Profile

• Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures August 14, 2013, 6:09 am

Girl stop it with those amazing pictures! I love them! I want to go there desperately! I mean, how can you beat a beach + hiking + mountains? You can’t, it’s like the trifecta of perfection. I’d die for that sandwich… Looks delicious.
    My dog goes crazy after chipmunks and squirrels too… It’s super cute but so scary sometimes – glad Coco was on a leash! WONDERFUL pictures!!!
    Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures recently posted…Creature of HabitMy Profile

• Beth @ Mangoes and Miles August 14, 2013, 6:38 am

MOUNTAINS. I’m so obsessed with mountains. The views look similar to our family’s hike through the Grand Tetons–so gorgeous! And the water is so blue. I’m laughing so hard at the picture of Coco in Brandon’s arms, but totally understand. Rosie gets pooped easily (all that puppy energy!), so on our longer walks sometimes we end up carrying her for a bit and people judge us. :P
    Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted…WIAW: anyone want to help me get rid of my buckwheat?My Profile

• Kathy @ Olives and Garlic August 14, 2013, 6:40 am

4 weeks till my Tahoe trip. I can’t wait. Absolutely going to try the Sprouts Cafe.

• Alexis @ Hummusapien August 14, 2013, 7:23 am

Mmmmm drooling over that beastly sandwich and gorg smoothie combo!!

• Alex@Veggin' Out August 14, 2013, 7:36 am

I absolutely love hiking! So many gorgeous views! I went on a hike this summer with by two best friends, and it was amazing. We got up at 2:30 and made it a sunrise hike! We were very tired by the end of the day, but it was SO worth it!
    Omg that burger! It’s like a tower of amazingness. I want one!!! :P
    Alex@Veggin’ Out recently posted…WIAW – Trying it OutMy Profile

• Sarah @ Sweet Miles August 14, 2013, 7:47 am

Yes yes yes! Loved Emerald Bay!!! That hike looks amazing…I think the one we did was further north. Coco is so precious..look at those sweet grey hairs!! I’m glad you guys are into hiking and being active while on vacation…doesn’t it just make you FEEL so much better?? Can’t wait to see more photos!!
    Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted…Toffee Bars & CraftsMy Profile

• Rebekah @ fitnesscreatures August 14, 2013, 8:00 am

Such beautiful pictures! I wish I lived only 3 hours away from views like that. That sandwich looks amazing and I definitely would not have eaten it like a lady, so good for you :) Beach, ice cream, hiking, smoothies, beautiful views, ugh I’m so jealous. Meghan’s dog also chases motorcycles. That’s most of what we have to worry about in Atlanta.

• FitBritt@MyOwnBalance August 14, 2013, 9:46 am

Your photos are gorgeous!! Looks like you had a great time! I have a friend who grew up in Tahoe and she raves.
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Fighting ShapeMy Profile

• Sonia the Mexigarian August 14, 2013, 10:23 am

I haven’t been to Tahoe in the summer. bah. I have to remedy this! I hear so many good things about Tahoe and would love to do hikes and swims there.

The picture of Brandon carrying Coco made me smile. The things we do for our little fur balls :) Gorgeous pictures. Makes me want to go to the lake asap.
    Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted…Off Week: I can’t control my brain. . . oh no no no no oh!My Profile

• Stacey August 14, 2013, 10:25 am

SARAH!!! These pictures are crazy good! I’m so jealous-you have no idea! :) The picture of the chipmunk..I laughed audibly! And then Brandon carrying CoCo…..classic. I love reading your blog every single day…in fact, i’m a little sad on the days you take a break—-that’s not meant to make you feel bad! haha, you need a little S, B & C time every now and again. I miss you tons…I can’t wait to see you when ya’ll come in Sept!!

• Heather @Pinkaholic Fitness August 14, 2013, 10:57 am

Wow, Tahoe is simply beautiful!!!! Just breath taking!

• Jo @ Living Mint Green August 14, 2013, 11:48 am

AHHH SO BEAUTIFUL! I’m dying to visit Tahoe now. Anywhere with lakes, mountains, great hiking & food is my kind of paradise.
    Jo @ Living Mint Green recently posted…WIAW: Glamping HighlightsMy Profile

• Tracey @ Cooking with Love August 15, 2013, 1:09 pm

The pictures are gorgeous! Coco is so adorable too. I bet she loves that y’all take her with you so much.

• Sarah August 15, 2013, 7:26 pm

Thanks Tracey! I’m pretty sure she enjoys going with us. Luckily, she’s a great traveling pup!

• Jan @ Sprouts n Squats August 16, 2013, 11:38 pm

That cafe looks and sounds amazing! And not just because it is half the name-sake of my blog :)

That weather you are having looks amazing. I can’t wait till it warms up again here so my boyfriend and I can do some more hiking.
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…My journey to becoming an Intuitive Eater – Part 1My Profile