Grilled Vegetable Summer Salad with Mozzarella

Is there anything better than relaxing outside on a beautiful summer day with an ice cold watermelon juice {or cocktail/beer/wine} while your favorite man {or woman} works his {or her} magic on the grill?

I think not, my friends…I think not.

Grilled Vegetable Summer Salad (43)

Really, this salad is so ridiculously easy to make that I feel bad even calling it a recipe.

And if you have someone else to do the grilling for you, you can pretty much consider it a day off from cooking all together.

Grilled Vegetable Summer Salad (81)

This delicious pile of love includes some of the best things that summer has to offer right now: fresh n’ juicy Roma tomatoes, slightly tender spears of asparagus, buttery avocado, and meaty portabella mushrooms.

All of that marinated and grilled then placed on top of a bed of crisp romaine and paired with fresh whole milk mozzarella cheese.

It’s so perfect, I can’t even stand it.

Grilled Vegetable Summer Salad (84)

It’s as easy as marinating the vegetables {in the most simple of marinades} for about thirty minutes, grilling them for about ten minutes, and voila! You have yourself a completely satisfying and healthy meal.

Getting your veggies has never been so easy or flavorful.

Grilled Vegetable Summer Salad

• 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
  • 2 roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
  • 1 bunch asparagus (you will have some left over)
  • 2 large portabella mushroom caps
  • 1 avocado, halved lengthwise
  • 4 ounces whole milk mozzarella (skim or gluten-free, if necessary)
  • fresh basil or other herb of choice, chopped (optional)

Marinade

• 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Makes 2 large salads

Start by combining all of the ingredients for the marinade into a measuring cup or bowl and stir together.

I used a white balsamic vinegar from Trader Joes but feel free to use any flavor balsamic vinegar that you prefer.

Grilled Vegetable Summer Salad (3)

Wash vegetables and place the halved tomatoes, asparagus, and mushroom caps into a large re-sealable plastic bag or shallow dish*.

Grilled Vegetable Summer Salad (17)

*Do as I say and not as I do. My shallow dish was being used to keep my yogurt on ice after my refrigerator started to malfunction so I had to use a large bowl instead and toss the veggies around in the marinade several times. It was fun.

Next, pour the marinade on top of vegetables and allow to sit at room temperature for at least thirty minutes. After thirty minutes, remove vegetables from marinade and place on preheated grill (medium heat for gas grills). *Reserve remaining marinade to add to salad as dressing.

Grill tomatoes and asparagus for about 5 minutes or until tender, mushroom caps for about 4 minutes on each side, and avocado for about 3 minutes skin side down and for 30 seconds on the inside, until golden brown. Alternatively, you could use a cast iron grill pan on your stove top if you don’t have a grill.

Remove veggies from heat and dice into bite size pieces before arranging on top of the salad. Garnish with fresh herbs and mozzarella cheese and top with remaining marinade.

Grilled Vegetable Summer Salad (23)

It’s as simple as that folks!

Grilled Vegetable Summer Salad (66)

Grilling the vegetables in a balsamic marinade really brings out the best in them, I highly recommend you try it if you haven’t already.

And please don’t skip the portabella caps. I know they look scary but once they’re grilled, they take on a rich and meaty texture that imitates real steak.

Grilled Vegetable Summer Salad (125)

That’s right…steak.

And, if you use portabellas that are grown under UV light, you’ll meet your recommended daily intake of Vitamin D in one sitting!

Articles of Possible Interest

Do you have any plans to grill out this summer?

What are your favorite vegetables to grill?

• Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies June 26, 2013, 3:36 am

I love everything about this. I’ve had a houseguest all week, so I have not been eating nearly enough veggies– perfect remedy :)
    Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies recently posted…Nature’s Gate GiveawayMy Profile

• Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat June 26, 2013, 4:20 am

That’s exactly what I do when my husband is grilling! ;-) Love this time of year! This sounds like a perfect summer salad, and I love grilled Portobello mushrooms. So good!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…WIAW #4My Profile

• Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life June 26, 2013, 5:01 am

This looks amazing! Fresh mozzarella is one of my favorite ingredients – especially in the summer when paired with a salad and tomatoes! :)

• Nicole @ FruitnFitness June 26, 2013, 6:05 am

This salad sounds wonderful! I don’t think I have ever tried white balsamic vinegar before. I wish I had a working grill. I have been roasting all my fresh veggies and pretending they are grilled.
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…WIAW – SundayMy Profile

• Sarah June 26, 2013, 12:21 pm

You can “grill” the vegetables on a cast iron grill pan on your stove top. Wal-mart and Target sell them preseasoned and their usually under $20.
      And you should give the white balsamic a try, it’s a little less harsh on the throat. :)

• Sara @ Fit.Fun.Femme. June 26, 2013, 6:36 am

As always – another awesome recipe. Soon we’ll have a house (and a grill!!!) and I will absolutely make this recipe. Right now the community apartment grill is outside another building and it’s a b*tch to schlep everything down three flights of stairs and one building over. So – I’m holding on to this one tight and excited for August when I can make it.

• Sarah June 26, 2013, 12:22 pm

August can’t come soon enough!! That will be so exciting when you finally get to move in. And you’ll still have a few months of good weather to enjoy with your grill!

• Christine @ Gotta Eat Green June 26, 2013, 6:49 am

Such a simple, yet tasty looking salad. Those cheese balls are so cute haha. We grill all the time in the summer. I love to wrap corn on the cob in tin foil with a little oil and fresh herbs..mmm.
    Christine @ Gotta Eat Green recently posted…Tips on How to Pack a Healthy Work LunchMy Profile

• Sarah June 26, 2013, 12:23 pm

Mmm, corn prepared that way sounds so good! I love corn. And cute cheese balls. ;)

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl June 26, 2013, 7:30 am

This is definitely my kind of salad!! And I love the little balls of mozzarella. They are so cute :).
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…Roasted Part 8: Turnip French FriesMy Profile

• Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness June 26, 2013, 7:41 am

oh my gosh, i’m drooling over that salad. granted i am obsessed with salad in the summer, but this one really looks like it should take home the gold medal for salading (i’m sticking with that word) ahh i want this for lunch!

• Sarah June 26, 2013, 12:24 pm

Yes, I was super excited once I realized that they added Salading to the Olympics and I knew I had to enter. :)

• Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes June 26, 2013, 7:52 am

I’ve been trying to be good and eat more veggies….great looking salad! I love that you put mozzarella in it
    Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes recently posted…Green Smoothie + KitchenAid Blender ReviewMy Profile

• Sarah June 26, 2013, 12:25 pm

Grilling veggies is the best way to get some more of them!

• Elizabeth @ Elizabeth's Garden Kitchen June 26, 2013, 9:19 am

We make meals like this all the time in the summer – yum! I haven’t grilled an avocado before but will definitely try it soon. Also, I didn’t realize you could get all your Vitamin D from a UV light- grown mushroom – great tip! It’s been so dark and rainy in the mid-Atlantic this summer that I am definitely not getting my normal dose from the sun.
    Elizabeth @ Elizabeth’s Garden Kitchen recently posted…Roasted Golden Beet Veggie BowlsMy Profile

• Sarah June 26, 2013, 12:27 pm

Boo on dark and rainy weather! I knew mushrooms were high in Vitamin D from seeing it on packages at the store, but I later found out that the ones grown in UV light are the highest dose. I’ll take it!

• Tara June 26, 2013, 10:08 am

I recently bought a tub of cute little mozzarella balls and this recipe looks perfect! I love grilling portobello mushrooms and putting them in salads. Now that I think about it, I love mushrooms in everything and anything. My best friend is freaked out by them, and I see why, but they’re so yummy!
    Tara recently posted…Chorizo Lentil SoupMy Profile

• Sarah June 26, 2013, 12:28 pm

I know, so many people are weirded out by mushrooms and it’s a shame. They can be so good! Especially grilled. But they do look a little unusual.

• Crystal @ Simply Playful Fare June 26, 2013, 11:15 am

This salad looks awesome! I love Portabella Mushrooms!

• Sarah June 26, 2013, 12:28 pm

Thanks Crystal! Portabella’s are so good when they’re grilled!

• Becky @ Olives n Wine June 26, 2013, 11:18 am

Oh yum. This looks perfect for the 4th of July weekend, friend! I actually just added each of these ingredients to my shopping list so I can be sure to have this salad next week :) Also, I never knew that fact about growing mushrooms under UV light!
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…Marathon Training – Week 3 RecapMy Profile

• Maria@The_Brooklyn_Fig June 26, 2013, 1:09 pm

Holy yum I love everything about this! I’ve never grilled veggies…I know, I know! We just got a grill a few months ago and grilling veggies and pizzas are on my list of things to try. Thanks for the great step by step directions!

• Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 26, 2013, 2:05 pm

I wish it was summer here!! Even if it was we have nowhere to grill as we live in an apartment. Saying that I should probably just buy a griddle pan :)

That salad looks amazing!
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday #18My Profile

• Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run June 26, 2013, 3:01 pm

beautiful photos. i like the accent of the turquoise glass.

neat fact about mushrooms – thanks!

• Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run June 26, 2013, 3:01 pm

p.s. i don’t think i’ve ever heard of white balsamic — is it milder?

• Sarah June 26, 2013, 6:16 pm

Thanks Hilary! I really struggled with shooting this salad so I appreciate the compliment.
      I’m not sure if white balsamic is supposed to be milder but I think it is. I really enjoyed it!

• Peter @ Feed Your Soul Too June 28, 2013, 12:39 pm

I love this salad and the use of the grilled vegetables. I featured it on my Friday Five – grilling over @ Feed Your Soul Too – http://www.feedyoursoul2.com/2013/06/friday-five-grilling.html
    Peter @ Feed Your Soul Too recently posted…Friday Five – GrillingMy Profile

• Sarah June 28, 2013, 1:19 pm

Thank you Peter! I appreciate you featuring it on your site! :)